So how long is O'Malley hanging on to the title??

Absolutley not.. Way to many contenders at 135, you don’t defend the title once and then ask for a title shot against by the time his career is over maybe the best ever. You need to clear out your division.

People still aren’t giving this kid credit. he really is something special. His movement and the angles he creates and his pin point accuracy is second to none in the sport right now. 135 is stacked and he def has some challengers.. I think he can win almost all of them with sandhagen being the toughest fight right now . I give him a 60/40 edge
Oh we agree, he is good. I just don’t agree that he’s going to stick around and defend the title more than once or twice.

He holds onto until he fights Merab IMO

Or in other words, he pulls a Conor and holds onto it until the division is completely fucked, calcified, and he is stripped for inactivity while healthy after he is aided and abetted by WME for several years.

He's not going to hang onto it long, probably try and pull a Conor and try to sit on it as long as possible without defending.

Sean did the opposite in what I expected...tbh
Sean's whole career..He did a energy dump, with his speed, and fancy style.. and had power we assumed from all his power shots on people that were not top notch fighters.
However, seem to just not have it with top fighters
In this fight, I was amazed how technical he was...
First round, super close, Sean Looked technical, and laying off his kicks...only kicking when needed...
2nd round, his counter came out of nowhere..but not really, how he dropped his hand too before the strike...but, are we surprised he has power at 135?
I think this Sean can be a threat at 135...so he does not gas out and counters at the right moment.
I thought he was the next big thing but this fight sort of cemented his ability with the right strategy agains top fighters
I think this fight cemented what he can do ...but of course he will have a problem with grapplers...but his striking is always a threat now.

Now vs Chito? would the same strategy work? I thought Chito had his number...but Sean has toned it down to maintain his power shots imo.
He should fight Chito next...I bet they fight next.
Thats, again, a hard fight to call...I thought Sterling was going to take him down and have more chances..but...maybe in a rematch?
Sean is only 28 too...
Lets see what happens..I think Chito should be next.

Kinda hit the nail on the head for me.

I didn't think he'd beat Yan. Robbery or not, it was a razor close fight with the clear #2 135er in the world whether he deserved the win or not.

I felt certain he would lose to Sterling and was happily proven wrong.

I think he pieces up Chito in a rematch so maybe I'm on a roll of really bad calls lol

Basically I agree that I love that everything has been turned upside down everything is an uncertainty now in that division. Sean vs Corey, Chito 2, Merab, even Rob Font eventually would intrigue me.

Love this division

Stylistically, I think he has a chance against anyone besides Merab and Umar.

I can see UFC squeezing in Chito, Sandhagen, Cejudo and maybe even Yan (because of the history) before those two sniff a title shot.

So anywhere between 0-4 defenses.

At this point, i think we should stop underestimate Sean.

I really thought Aljo was going to dominate him, but it didn't happen, he beat both Yan and Aljo.

of Course Merab Still a tough match up for him, but i think sean might be here to stay.

Honestly, it might be for a while. I hate to admit that, but if he beats Merab, he's got the tools to beat anyone for a long while. Merab is great with his pace and getting takedowns, but I don't think he'll be able to keep O'Malley down. And if O'Malley gets free long enough to crack him I think he can put him down.

I just can't see this dude as a dominant champ. Kudos for the ko of Sterling, but the Yan fight is widely considered a robbery and chito took him out. The only way he stays on top imo is if the UFC is extremely judicious with his matchups.
Sterling was arguably his toughest match up.

Merab has better offensive wrestling but he doesn't have the same grappling pedigree.

I'm sure merab will have moments of control, but also leave many openings for something big to land.

He matches up pretty well against the rest of the division, other than those two.

But realistically, the division is so stacked, anyone could beat anyone on the right day.

The Cory fight would be interesting.

I think Sandhagen and Merab have a good shot at beating him.

My guess is they'll make a chito rematch. Wild card... they go with Cejudo.

I don't see Sean being a long reigning champ so they're going to try to milk everything they can get from this.

Until Dana gives Merab a shot. I love Sean's style, but Merab is a bad matchup for him. Honestly Merab is the best 135er and has been for a while now. No one shuts down Yan like he did. Plus his performance vs Aldo was fucking boring, but again not many people can successfully stall out Aldo with grappling.

I will say though that even against Merab, Sean has a real shot at KOing him. Sean's angles and counters are elite, and Merab could be caught rushing in. But I forsee Merabs pace and feints and calf kick and constant shooting to be a problem for O'Malley.

Not too long imo. He’s not an elite fighter imo

I think the UFC protects him from Petr Yan and Merab Dvalishvili. Honestly Corey could take it off of him. I think Chito will be his first title defense. I can’t see him being champion for long, if he moves up to Featherweight Volkanovski smokes him easily. Then again I thought Aljo would rag doll him. Maybe a title defense but I personally cannot see him being a long time champ.

Defend against Chito, then go after the FW title.
He is not gonna try to fight Volk.
Not happening.

Maybe if Volk retires Sean would go up for a vacant strap (depending on opponent) but no way in hell he fights Volk.

I don't think Sean is big for 135, he would be in danger at 145.

Fights were I think Sean is likely to win:

Chito
Old Henry

And the UFC has put a TON of effort and money into building Sean, so I would not be surprised to see them give him favorable title defenses, which they have done before.

Chuck Liddell got to defend against Jeremy Horn. Jon Jones fought Vitor and Chael. Henry got to defend against Dom. They like to pull that move of bringing back an old name. Once they have put money into building someone they love to go to the well to cash it out.

IF Sean got those Matchups and won, he could theoretically close the skill gap that SEEMS to exist with Merab and Cory Sandhagen, during that 2 fight period, with UFC title fights occurring on average each 9 months, that gives Sean a year and a half to be good enough to beat those guys.

It is all about the matchups. Depending on who he fights when, he could be one and done or he could be a Uber star and hold the belt a few years.

Right now I believe Sean's two biggest threats are injured. Merab and Cory. So Sean and UFC might do a short turnaround, fight Chito because "he is the best guy available" then say "oh we just did 2 back to back, I need time off to heal up injuries" maybe sneak in a tuf season to maximize profits on the Suga "brand"

You know the tricks.

I think Corey, Merab and Umar would be his trickiest fights.

Back