So I Noticed That Only MMA Fans Whine So Much About Rematches...

GoshiShun17

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I don't really see this nearly as much with other combat sports.

Now I understand if the contender is boring and/or undeserving. But you guys whine about legit long time champions and bona-fide stars getting a rematch, in often times close fights.

Often times there is no legit other number 1 contender either.

Are MMA fans just whining passes compared to let's say boxing fans?

Immediate rematches suck.

If there is a clear winner, no controversy around the decision, fuck that shit, no immediate rematches.

Other sports are not a great example. You have guys like Tyson Fury clearly ducking the guy he should actually be fighting, looking to have rematches against guys he's clearly, decisively beaten. Stuff like that is why Boxing is garbage.

I think it's dumber in boxing, there is a lot more decisive wins. For example, Usyk was clearly better than Anthony Joshua, Fury was clearly better than Wilder. They made the rematches a clause because the two fighters could possibly get a ko win

In MMA there's a lot more narrow decisions. The matches are close. The only reason it's quite so annoying is because the matchmaking is mismanaged. The rankings are not respected, so we'll see division or two, sometimes 3 go off the rails

Last edited:
Casuals don’t understand how much it slows down divisions or understand the better match ups.

so of course they don’t complain. Ignorance is bliss.

fuck immediate rematches.

Now I understand if the contender is boring and/or undeserving. But you guys whine about legit long time champions and bona-fide stars getting a rematch, in often times close fights.

lolwut?

chisora.

MMA fans aren’t against rematches in principal. Some of the most anticipated MMA fights in history were rematches.

The problem is the UFC matchmaking is lazy. They book rematches almost nonstop, they don’t use a clear criteria for when rematches are used, and they’ll frequently book rematches when there are obviously more deserving contenders.

Take Cody Garbrandt, for example. He was undefeated when he beat Cruz, but gets stopped vs Dillashaw in the 2nd. He was not a long-reigning champ, nor was the fight a fluke. Rematch.

McGregor is champ in FW and moved up to LW for a title shot. RDA drops out, so Nate Diaz is pulled in as a short notice replacement. Diaz finished McGregor in a fight that was LITERALLY meaningless, but what does UFC do? Rematch.

I could go on and on about other examples, but you get the idea. If it’s warranted or at least has a good story to it, I think most MMA fans like rematches. However, we’re all just burnt out from them at this point.

Boxing fans have been conditioned to shittty match making and not getting the fight they want for decades.

MMA is different from boxing as styles make fights and beating a grappler is completely different from beating a standup fighter where boxing is beating the opponent at just boxing. A fresh fight is almost always better than a rematch and only people who believe in MMA Math think when you beat the man you beat everyone he has beaten as history proves it isn’t so.

Pro wrestling fans do it to despite the business being built off rematches.

MMA Fans, at least on Sherdog, seem to whine more over the years.

For the instant rematches, some of them make no sense. Some of them seem justified.

As for rematches, I used to hear more complaints from sports like basketball where the same couple of teams were always in the finals.

Kickboxers usually fight more often than MMA fighters so they don't complain as much about rematches.
3 or 5 rounds of 3 minutes is way less taxing on the body than MMA's time format let alone the sport itself too, and instant rematches aren't as common I believe. They usually take a couple tune up fights before they get back in the ring against the guy they lost to

Immediate rematches suck.

If there is a clear winner, no controversy around the decision, fuck that shit, no immediate rematches.
This. Dana and his obsession with immediate rematches is so fucking lame.

MMA fans aren’t against rematches in principal. Some of the most anticipated MMA fights in history were rematches.

The problem is the UFC matchmaking is lazy. They book rematches almost nonstop, they don’t use a clear criteria for when rematches are used, and they’ll frequently book rematches when there are obviously more deserving contenders.

Take Cody Garbrandt, for example. He was undefeated when he beat Cruz, but gets stopped vs Dillashaw in the 2nd. He was not a long-reigning champ, nor was the fight a fluke. Rematch.

McGregor is champ in FW and moved up to LW for a title shot. RDA drops out, so Nate Diaz is pulled in as a short notice replacement. Diaz finished McGregor in a fight that was LITERALLY meaningless, but what does UFC do? Rematch.

I could go on and on about other examples, but you get the idea. If it’s warranted or at least has a good story to it, I think most MMA fans like rematches. However, we’re all just burnt out from them at this point.
Yup, UFC has never been great at the "promoter" aspect of being a fight promotion, but their laziness is most apparent in them only wanting to sell the easiest storylines (a fight that JUST happened) and matching up rank squatters against each other only, when they're known commodities (to avoid having to actually promote up and comers).

Reactions: G10
Back