So I started collecting vinyl again

TeTe

🤡🌎
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
and now I'm balls deep. Talk about finding a good vein to start mainlining again.

I'm in worse than I was the first time from 20 years ago. I only had a handful of records and for a while didn't even have a record player to listen to them on.

I'll probably post pics later... but now I'm buying limited edition pressings, rare pressings, mono pressings, first pressings etc. I've definitely gone overboard on the collecting aspect as much as the listening aspect.

What are some of your best vinyl pressings? How big is your collection?

One thing I never realized before was how hard it is finding first pressings of 90s records. Since 90s grunge is my favorite genre, it's crazy to see first US pressings of Nevermind go for $500 or STP Purple for several hundred or Siamese dream color variants go for $200-500. I mean, I should have known that CDs wiped vinyl off the map for a while.

I did have a pretty good score finding a first pressing Pearl Jam Vitalogy for $60 at a record store. It probably would have been closer to $100 if it didn't have a gnarly scratch over the last two songs.. but otherwise play great.

Still have a bunch of old “rare” hardcore vinyl. A lot of them are done with cool colored vinyl. Sold some good ones on eBay years ago. Last vinyl I bought was an aceyalone record and alkaline trio goddamnit off eBay. The punk scene always had some creative vinyls

I've been reluctant to get back into collecting vinyl again, lol, it can be so expensive. My sister got me Bowie's Ziggy Stardust: The Motion Picture double album for christmas. She joked that I could use it to clean my weed, lol

inside-gatefold-1.jpg

I've been reluctant to get back into collecting vinyl again, lol, it can be so expensive. My sister got me Bowie's Ziggy Stardust: The Motion Picture double album for christmas. She joked that I could use it to clean my weed, lol

inside-gatefold-1.jpg
yeah, it's crazy how much it's become.. even fairly beat up super common 50 year old records are like $30 now. New ones are even more. Hell, I just bough Live Throwing Copper for $35. Granted it's two LPs, but probably would have been $25 at least even if one. Still better than paying $500 for a 94 pressing <45>

Just curious, but how much are you willing to pay for an LP ? I know prices have skyrocketed recently even because there is indeed more demand.
It depends. Brand new record? $25 for single LP and $35 for a double LP.

Used? That would be a loaded question. I try not to pay more than fair market value for it (completed eBay or Discogs listings). If I was loaded I'd probably pay $1500 for nice copy of the first UK pressing of Led Zeppelin I (the one with the teal letters on the sleeve).

That being said, I like bin diving at records stores and finding good albums between $5 and $20.

Its the only way apart from Bandcamp that I buy music these days

I'm a sucker for test press', probably have 35 or 40 of them... Weekend Nachos, Bathtub Shitter, Inopexia, Open Hand, Death Before Dishonor, Gimp Fist etc, etc...

Got tons of "rare" variants of newer stuff. Probably own around 2k records... A few prized* pieces of the collection would be Daughters tour editions of their EP (#69/200), Canada Songs and Hell Songs (my favorite album)...

*Edit: prized

Last edited:
Wow. What are you playing them on my friend? Wanna know all: turntable, stylus, needle, amp, speakers etc? Most important, how does it sound to you? Probably like velvet butter. I got so obsessed back in the day that I got up to around 3,000 albums. After moving around so much in those days I slowly bartered them all away with a DJ who made tapes for me every week, about 100 at a time. Even those tapes sound so much warmer particularly on some Tamla stuff like mid-period Stevie & Marvin and a lotta early pre-Marley reggae singles. No regrets. She introduced me to some folks in Detroit who were making some gorgeous techno. Wound up taking me to Toronto and Berlin. Expanded my mind and horizons. Insure them properly my friend. Which records have sounded best to you? Some of those Decca records like Who's Next - you could throw them around like a frisbee and they still sound great. Any where you've notice a hot mix, best example for me would be PiL metal box or original Casablanca Nile Rogers stuff. Have fun.

Oboy, I’ve got nearly 300-400 LPs from the 60s. 70s
and 80s.
Some are pretty worn but many are still in good shape. I have first pressings of many bands releases and numerous colored vinyl albums.
I have Steely Dan’s Aja album in red vinyl.
My copy of the Beatles White album from the UK is it in white vinyl very rare.
My Jimi Hendrix Are you experienced album is in paisley, psychedelic vinyl.
My original release of the stones sticky fingers is complete with zippered front with expected interior by Andy Warhol.
I really need to drag them all out of my closet and go through them.

and the funny thing or sad thing depending on your perspective is that I didn’t really set out to collect them per se.
I bought most of them at the time of their release from stores like Rasputin‘s on telegraph Avenue in Berkeley and tower records on Durant Avenue.
That’s how freaking old I am lol.
Good times.

I have probably 300 ish. Got right into movie soundtracks. Most expensive one is probably the Red Sonja LP. Cost about $100 AU including postage.

B16cBSGfSBS._SL1500_.jpg

Added another colored vinyl to my collection. Remastered, but srsly it's from '78. Am told the sound is sub par. Who cares, it's gold!
s-l1600.jpg

I didn't start collecting and listening to records until 2011 after my father gave me what he had kept of his record collection. I got myself an Audio-Technica LP60 starter turntable and I haven't looked back. I upgraded to the LP120 and gave my nephew Henry my original. From my dad I got all of Zeppelin's discography with first US pressings of most and a lot of other classic rock acts. I now I have around 700 or so and growing.

This is my setup now and my nephew Henry below listening to Pink Floyd's WIsh You Were Here when I visited last month. David GIlmour is his favorite musician and that makes smile
DAdFqmu.png

vkiJ6eP.png

Just curious, but how much are you willing to pay for an LP ? I know prices have skyrocketed recently even because there is indeed more demand.
I recently paid $135 for the liquid variant of Howling Giant's new record Glass Future released last October. I really only pay a decent amount for records depending on the band, Howling Giant I was willing to do so. A lot of the bands I listen to are working bands so I'm willing to spend a little extra. Would I spend $135 if it was just black or a colored, hell no,
m5ceQyi.png

Back