So, in my 53 years, the world has changed drastically.

I disagree to an extent. I think the speed in the advances of information technologies and its mass adoption far outpaces the advances in other areas of technology where there hasn't been changes as dramatic.

How do I prize it? It's just an indication on the lack of progress for 'basic' things.

Progress in automobiles? Electric cars aren't the future hydrogen cells are and there's not been much progress on them. As to self driving cars, we'll see how that one goes too after all the deaths in the period where self driving and driven cars goes. If you want to drive 300+ miles you need petrol or diesel, the same as you always have done or to stop for 20-30 minutes. Sat Navs are great but maps were fine too and writing out where you needed to turn and taking it with you worked just fine.

So you know some freelancers. That's really not a new concept. If these friends were all abducted by aliens tomorrow I'm sure the world would go on just fine, they don't produce anything needed. They're not growing food or making anything just contributing to a self sustaining service sector that doesn't produce anything.

Most of the recent progress is superficial. It's great that I can interact with people all over the globe vie a forum on a website but if I couldn't then maybe I'd go outside, meet someone and talk to them in person about something that actually mattered.

Because that's the two example you brought up? It's misleading if you use examples to make points you don't care about yourself.

Your analysis of the automobile industry is very one sided. It's like saying we've been fine hunting and gathering for food, farms and supermarkets are nice, but we've survived without it.

Also being location independent is not the same as being freelancer. There are people who are location independent and work full time for one company. The nature of the work does not require the person to be physically present, and are all done online. You could hold a steady job while you travel. It's not the same as freelancing. Maybe you should google what that is.

Last edited:
As a child, there were no household computers or cell phones. You had to find out info by going to a library. You had 5 tv stations that shut off at 12. Humans have been around for some 30,000 years and more advances have happened in my life than in that whole 30,000 years. And the changes are getting faster. Humans themselves are not getting more intelligent at all. Or at least not in a noticeable manner. It is just the tools are better. It almost makes it hard to imagine the next 100 years. It feels like things are going to get so advanced we aren't really going to understand the new technologies. Only another computer will be able to understand the tech behind some of the future creations. I know that sounds like it came right out of a science fiction novel but it simply is the only possible way it could happen. We are limited. Tech isn't.
I think humans have more potential than you're giving us credit for.

Back