So my colleague who used to call me negative and always lectured me about law of attraction

do you know any more about the history of this sort of bullshit?

Maybe. Probably. But there are so many layers to it, so can you perhaps narrow down your question or area of interest...? The technical term for the key component of this kind of stuff, is 'magical thinking'. Magical thinking, superstition, is established in childhood, between age 2-7. Religion and religious institutions are the natural breeding ground, for its adult expression, but really can play out in a myriad ways, depending on other factors, and what vice/s (take your pick from the 7 deadly sins: greed, envy etc) fuel the magical thinking.
It's basically exploitation of our baser emotions and drives by manipulating an infantile level intellect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_thinking

One name you may be familiar with, Edward Bernays (nephew of Sigmund Freud), who is well worth looking into, was instrumental in fast tracking the understanding and exploitation of these mechanisms into the field of advertising, marketing, PR etc.

Advertising, imho, may actually in the present day be an even bigger plague than religion, because, unlike church meetings and zealots, there really is no escaping advertising and the constant bombardment, 24/7, covert, overt and subliminal, on our minds. In fact it has already hi-jacked and shaped our identity so much that most of us are reduced to its loyal servants - Consumers.

British documentarist Adam Curtis has done a ton of interesting docus, this one is particularly interesting

Last edited:
Call it whatever you want, it has benefits.

Sure its not an actual law.. but positive thinking and visualization helps tremendously when you are in stressful environments. Especially anything physical.

Knew this guy who got fired from a nice entry level IT job once we both started their. I had a lot of self learned IT knowledge he had none pretty much. Manager had to do most of his work over night for him.

They finally fire him and as I'm letting him out of the parking garage he goes "I don't care man I just played XBOX all night long". All I could think was he didn't learn shit from this experience. He could have used the job to learn more about IT and get a higher paying job with the experience he got there. Instead he wasted all his time playing games and I saw him working at Walmart like a year later.

Call it whatever you want, it has benefits.

Sure its not an actual law.. but positive thinking and visualization helps tremendously when you are in stressful environments. Especially anything physical.
It has benefits of course. Just like praying has benefits.
I like to be positive, but you can only be positive for so long.

Sure, nobody should believe you can "will" things into existence by sitting on your arse

Sure, nobody should believe you can "will" things into existence by sitting on your arse
what if you don't sit on your arse?
What if you move and "believe"? Does it make a difference? (other than you'll see more opportunities when you're positive)

Let me guess, he was into Herbalife or some other network marketing bullshit

Lol is herbalife still a thing?

A friend once put us onto a guy who was sells this stupid shit, he was actually some sort of alien life form.

One thing is being positive (which Im all for).

A whole different issue is when people try to push their positiveness (is that a word?) through everybody else throat.
If you are positive and carry good vibes chances is that people is going to be a little better when they are around you. No need to be explicit about some stuff and specially no need to give advices nobody asked for which seems to be the case with your former colleague.

Also I would like to add that people who advocate like crazy for a certain lifestyle are usually just looking for others validation.

Also I would like to add that people who advocate like crazy for a certain lifestyle are usually just looking for others validation.
I agree, and I feel it goes further. I forget where I saw it but I remember this line saying that sanity is only what you can get others to agree with you on. Sounds like a comic book line, or maybe it's my paraphrasing that's corny. Anyway. Everyone creates one's own reality, if one holds to the notions that reality is bound by perception, and that perceptions are biased. Sometimes crazy.

There's definitely a reward system on a neural level if we can convince others to agree with the reality we enforce. Feels like power and/or fraternity on the positive, but may betray a deviancy, deficiency, or dereliction on the negative, thus the seeking outside validation. Or correction.

Taking on a systemized belief isn't always crazy nor a red flag. What a person believes won't tell you as much as how they go about expressing and upholding their beliefs and perceptions. People can lie to others and themselves about the what, they don't hide the how quite as well.

Lol is herbalife still a thing?

A friend once put us onto a guy who was sells this stupid shit, he was actually some sort of alien life form.

It is definitely still a thing. They are still organising huge events with loads of people and celebrities, where everyone is dancing, looks super happy and confident he's gonna be rich by selling overpriced shakes.

what if you don't sit on your arse?
What if you move and "believe"? Does it make a difference? (other than you'll see more opportunities when you're positive)
If by "move" you mean prepare and ACT according to what you are trying to achieve, then yes I believe a positive mindset works wonders.

It is definitely still a thing. They are still organising huge events with loads of people and celebrities, where everyone is dancing, looks super happy and confident he's gonna be rich by selling overpriced shakes.

Well for sure someones getting rich .. and it aint the proles.

Back