• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

So What’s Been the Reason for BJ Penns Demise?

I think most of it can be credited to being shorter than average height and being rejected by most females all his life has taken a toll on his mental health.

He probably was the type of moron who tought he could always get away with his awesome skills, and got lazy. And a boatload of drugs too.

I think it's sad that in 2019 we are talking about Penn for all the wrong reasons. He was never a a favorite of mine but I respected him and always made sure to tune into his fights. 20 years from now most will only talk about his prime but i do think the losing streak has tarnished his legacy a bit.

Watched Penn Diaz ... looked.to me all of BJ penns skills were FAR ABOVE Diaz's in round 1.

Outstruck him ... out grappled him.

Then he gassed and lost like he usually does.
I don't understand how fighters
have had cardio <{hughesimpress}>it's crazy

Keeps fighting to prove to yall he was motivated and trained as hard as he can in all his fights

Washed up penn currently still motivated but cant hang with these younger fighters

BJ's run at featherweight was an absolute disgrace. He looked like a total scrub in every fight at FW. He was to supposed to fight Lamas but escaped that punishment only to be beaten very badly by Yair.

Remember this?

UFC_Manila_poster.jpg

Last edited:
Drugs, CTE, terrible work ethic, possibly USADA

Fighters that rely on athleticism, explosiveness, speed, reflexes, etc tend to decline at a earlier age. This is especially true of the lighter weight classes. BJ should've retired a long time ago, its getting embarrassing now.

Maybe he was just never at that top level. For me, BJ has always been overrated to a degree and hes failed to improve and evolve.

hes still fighting like its 2009
If he was/is overrated, then many of those who struggled 1-2-3 Rds (while dwarfin´ him) against him are in the same or even worse situation... realistically...

There was never a skill problem with BJ Penn. One, he got older like they all do. Two, the younger guys he was fighting were stronger than him. He never really won fights by overpowering guys. He had quick, accurate hands and lethal BJJ. He never had great kicks, which lots of his later opponents had. He could have benefitted from joining a camp with lots of strong fighters IMO. Seems like he kinda went off on his own. Worked when he was tops, not later. Fitness and strength are more important for older guys. Look at Randy Couture. He did it right. Lots of discipline. Absolute dedication to diet, workouts, skills training. BJ had his day though and nobody can take that away from him. When he moved up and finished Hughes, damn that was one of the greatest fights in UFC history.

It’s an interesting point. I used to think he was telling the truth about him being clean til I realized he actually has no integrity. But doesn’t explain why his endurance levels suck so bad.
Cocaine

Hughes 3? Stevenson? Sanchez? Sherk?

Hughes was already getting knocked out by then. Stevenson wasn't anything special, knocking out sherk is not in godly and Diego... Wow he stopped Luigi firovanti so outstriking him is not a big deal.

I think the first Edgar fight was more impressive than those

Fighters that rely on athleticism, explosiveness, speed, reflexes, etc tend to decline at a earlier age. This is especially true of the lighter weight classes. BJ should've retired a long time ago, its getting embarrassing now.
He's physically declining now but he turned to shit way before he lost his athleticism. Bad athleticism didn't make him fight in tippy toes. Now he's got those problems that started his initial decline and he's physically shot. He needs to retire.

What does BJ Penn need another title for? He already has so many records. There's a bigger chance someone will become a 5 weight class champion, than get more records than him.

BJ PENN UFC RECORDS.

All time most losses (13)
Current most losses (13)
All time most no-wins (15)
Current most no-wins (15)
All time most title losses (5)
Current most title losses (5)
All time most title no-wins (6)
Current most title no-wins (6)
All time most losses in a row (7)
Current most losses in a row (7)
All time most no-wins in a row (8)
Current most no-wins in a row (8)
All-time most weight class losses (3)
Current most weight class losses (3)
All-time longest losing streak (8 years)
Current longest losing streak (8 years)
All-time longest no-win streak (8 years)
Current longest no-win streak (8 years)
All-time longest total losing time (3h27m32s)
Current longest total losing time (3h27m32s)
All-time longest total no-winning time (4h07m32s)
Current longest total no-winning time (4h07m32s)
All-time longest consecutive losing time (1h07m6s)
Current longest consecutive losing time (1h07m6s)
All-time longest consecutive no-winning time (1h22m6s)
Current longest consecutive no-winning time (1h22m6s)
All-time most consecutive UFC shows without a win (113)
Current most consecutive UFC shows without a win (113)
;)

What does BJ Penn need another title for? He already has so many records. There's a bigger chance someone will become a 5 weight class champion, than get more records than him.

BJ PENN UFC RECORDS.

All time most losses (13)
Current most losses (13)
All time most no-wins (15)
Current most no-wins (15)
All time most title losses (5)
Current most title losses (5)
All time most title no-wins (6)
Current most title no-wins (6)
All time most losses in a row (7)
Current most losses in a row (7)
All time most no-wins in a row (8)
Current most no-wins in a row (8)
All-time most weight class losses (3)
Current most weight class losses (3)
All-time longest losing streak (8 years)
Current longest losing streak (8 years)
All-time longest no-win streak (8 years)
Current longest no-win streak (8 years)
All-time longest total losing time (3h27m32s)
Current longest total losing time (3h27m32s)
All-time longest total no-winning time (4h07m32s)
Current longest total no-winning time (4h07m32s)
All-time longest consecutive losing time (1h07m6s)
Current longest consecutive losing time (1h07m6s)
All-time longest consecutive no-winning time (1h22m6s)
Current longest consecutive no-winning time (1h22m6s)
All-time most consecutive UFC shows without a win (113)
Current most consecutive UFC shows without a win (113)
;)
<mma4>

He was an amazing fighter but he got old. It happens to different fighters at different times.

Bj has fought a lot, at different weights, hasn't always looked after himself in terms of blowing up in weight and living the high life.

His recent performances because he loves the sport and doesn't want to stop do not detract from what he has already achieved.

He got by on a lot of natural talent and ability, now that he is past his physical prime he doesn't have the work ethic or power to compete like some in the later ages.

Off topic I know but l think a guy like lil evil would be a mid level journeyman gatekeeper in today’s FW division. At best. IMHO

Back