So Who Are You? For grapplers:

What about "tries really hard guy" - he's always on time for practice, always has all of his gear, busts his butt during warmups, asks relevant questions, then gets tapped by everyone in the class.
That one is pretty much me.

I'm a pretzle luaghing watchya weigh girl. Def worth the time it took to read.

great post. Im so many combinations of those I have to admit.

heres an addition for u...

the look you in the eyes guy. has been training for 3 years consistantly and still as good as a 3 month white belt. dedicated to showing up but probably just shows up cause they like to recieve pain for whatever fucked up psychological reasons. all he/she does is look you in the eyes when rolling and you don't know why. never concentrates or goes all out. has probably tapped 3 people in their lives.

i couldn't read the whole thing, i'm too tired from training. i am the guy who shows up at class, does whatever my instructor tells him to, tries to glean as much info as i can from the technique portion, then rolls with whoever is in the room afterwards, and doesn't worry about labeling my type of classroom persona.

I read it all, I think this is me

The WhatChaWeigh guy
Whenever he taps to something, he asks what his opponent weighs. If it's even 200 grams more than him, he nods as if to suggest that he only lost due to weight mismatch. He has probably asked you your weight at least once a week for the past year. (Note that when this guy fights smaller people, he forgets to ask)

Except I don't ask people what they weigh I just think about it way too much

You made a funny. That was pretty accurate actually. I think you need to make the list more concise though please...

This list made me chuckle a bit...I remember reading it a while back, when it was first posted, but I went back and re-read it again. There is someone at my gym that represents almost all of these different personas. When I sent it out to some of the guys I train with, one of them labeled everyone. I got labeled as the humble ****you up guy, although that's not the way I view myself. At times, I exhibit traits of many of these different personas. But I think I'm a new breed (and probably not the only one). Kind of the opposite of the no-responsibility guy. I have a deep-seeded passion for BJJ, and would eat, breathe, and sleep it--if I had the time. But, I have to juggle work, a wife (who is moderately not thrilled with my devotion to BJJ), and two young kids with all of their activities. And while I wouldn't trade any of this for anything in the world, it seriously hinders my training time. I manage to eak out 1, maybe 2 days of training a week...so, I compensate. When I can't actually be on the mats, I spend a lot of time thinking about technique, game plans, etc....I have most of my instructional DVD's copied to my Ipod, so that I can carry them with me and review them when I have a few minutes of downtime. I kind of envy the no-responsibility guy at times, and wish that I had started when I was younger and could devote the time to train twice a day, 5-6 days a week. But, I'm happy to slowly progress and enjoy my hobby. I don't have any aspirations of becoming the next world champion or the next ultimate fighter. Just happy to continue to train and learn, and am always excited when I pick up something new to add to my game.

I thought of one other personality type (one of the guys that I train with)....the anti-gi guy. This is the guy who acts as if putting on a gi will cause him to immediately have a severe allergic reaction. He's a decent grappler without the gi, but his absolute refusal to participate in anything involving the gi has somewhat limited his game. He's perfectly fine for you to enter his no-gi world, but it doesn't work the other way around. He likes to justify this by commenting on how impractical the gi is in an actual street fight (which apparently he's been anticipating for many years now, but just hasn't happed yet, and which of course is the ONLY reason anyone would train BJJ). This guy is also closely related to the heel-hook hero.

BTW, don't mean this to start a gi vs. no-gi debate, which has already been beaten to death on this and other forums. Personally, I like to train both...just thought I'd add this personality to the list, since I know several people with this syndrome.

Lol I actually did read it haha. I fit into a few of those. Not to the extreme but mildly.

I would say I could be the "Spy" when I am back home from college going to other gyms around the city. Could fall under the category of the "No-responsibility guy" hey I took 12 credit hours had to drop some classes! Consider myself a "natural" just because I work my ass off and cant stand to lose. People would say I am the "you have not time to tap" guy because I have made a few arms pop (not my fucking fault should of tapped before or yelled tap)

When i first started i was the Gas Out Guy...Now im just the sweaty guy.

well I always found this thread to be a hoot so I figure I'd bring it back for our newer members

The Pretzel- Every move you've ever practiced becomes difficult because this guy can get into positions that would make a pretzel cringe.

I like to think im that guy. Many would put me to shame though :icon_sad:

edit: this is a very old thread...haha wow

The Attention Deficit Disorder GUY
You think he should be force-fed an overdose of Ritalin before every class.
He's rolling with you, but at the same time he's listening to every single conversation happening on the mat, and paying some attention to every other fight.
He'll give advice to the guys rolling near you AS he tries to pass your guard, he will laugh at a joke someone made on the other side of the mat space when you have him in side control, and he will also interfere with someone else's conversation when he is in your guard.
One sure way to tap him is pointing to the entrance and say something like "what's Royce doing in here ?" and then take his back as he begins to look around.
Oh yeah...he's the guy who is always babbling when your instructor is showing a technique too...

The first few were funny and I got the idea of where you were going with it so that said I would consider myself

"The can't read more than 3 paragraphs guy"

Back