Solution to the Weight Cutting Issue: Having a Weigh In AND Weight Out

1neomonkey

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
It's simple:

You weigh in for your weight class the day before the fight like the fighters normally do, then you add a weigh OUT immediately after the fight. If you weigh 5 pounds over your weight class limit after the fight, then that's also considered "missing weight" and then becomes a DQ. That way you no longer have this, "I fight at 155 but re-hydrate to 190" BS.

The idea of this is two fold:

The weigh in establishes the weight class the fighter is competing in. And the weigh out takes away the problem of having fighters cut too much weight before the fight and not really competing in their proper weight class.

This is better than the alternative solution to having fighters weigh in on the same day, because for one, it can potentially be dangerous to have a weight cut the day of the fight. And two, it still doesn't solve the problem of fighters not really competing at their true weight class, which is essentially cheating. Or at least should be.

Thoughts?

It's simple:

You weigh in for your weight class the day before the fight like the fighters normally do, then you add a weigh OUT immediately after the fight. If you weigh 5 pounds over your weight class limit after the fight, then that's also considered "missing weight" and then becomes a DQ. That way you no longer have this, "I fight at 155 but re-hydrate to 190" BS.

The weigh in establishes the weight class the fighter is competing in. And the weigh out takes away the problem of having fighters cut too much weight before the fight and not really competing in their proper weight class.

This is better than the alternative solution to having fighters weigh in on the same day, because for one, it can potentially be dangerous to have a weight cut the day of the fight. And two, it still doesn't solve the problem of fighters not really competing at their true weight class, which is essentially cheating. Or at least should be.

Thoughts?
That won't work in the slightest.

Just add more weight classes like boxing

Tired of 6'5 280 pound dudes cutting weight and height to fight at straweight

Solution to weight cutting issue:
- Open weight
- No drug testing
- Single 15 minutes round
- Football kicks

In highschool they did this for Ohio districts and state for wrestling because iirc the tournaments were 2/3 days long. I was a natural 125 lb wrestler. I lost a close bout to a guy from one of the best wrestling schools called Moelher. He goes to weigh out and he weighed over 160 lbs then was Disqualified. It all made sense why this guy felt like an immovable tree stump. Imo OP's suggestion could work

how long can someone safely "stay dehydrated" for?

what if fighters got weighed multiple times during fight week. like 5 days, 3 days, and normal 1 day before the fight. or maybe even 3 days, 2 days, 1 day before fight.

then they would have to be at a weight thats much closer to their walk around weight i would think. there would be more odds of missing weight with multiple weigh ins but they wouldnt cut as much so not as hard to make weight.

most fighters would probably have to move up a class i would think so maybe make slight changes to the upper weight classes

It's simple:

Thoughts?

Conor McGregor is up to all kinds of shenanigans, yet he always makes weight.

If Conor can make weight, everyone else can.

I have a better solution. Stop showing weigh ins, stop telling us how much people weigh at any given time. Just fine the fighters who miss, never tell us about it and let them fight. I don't give a flying fuck who weighs what. I'm here to be entertained by fighters and that's what the fuck I want.

If you really think a few pounds here or there is gonna make the difference you really haven't competed.

how long can someone safely "stay dehydrated" for?

what if fighters got weighed multiple times during fight week. like 5 days, 3 days, and normal 1 day before the fight. or maybe even 3 days, 2 days, 1 day before fight.

then they would have to be at a weight thats much closer to their walk around weight i would think. there would be more odds of missing weight with multiple weigh ins but they wouldnt cut as much so not as hard to make weight.

most fighters would probably have to move up a class i would think so maybe make slight changes to the upper weight classes

Multiple weigh ins is just over kill. Once before the fight and once after is plenty and will get the job done.

Conor McGregor is up to all kinds of shenanigans, yet he always makes weight.

If Conor can make weight, everyone else can.

This thread is way over your head. Maybe actually try reading what you are responding to.

Dumb idea, to much rethinking the wheel.

The solution is larger fines and long suspensions. Miss weight, your potential purse is $500 and your suspended for a year. Problem solved.

Back