Solution to the Weight Cutting Issue: Having a Weigh In AND Weight Out

Dumb idea, to much rethinking the wheel.

The solution is larger fines and long suspensions. Miss weight, your potential purse is $500 and your suspended for a year. Problem solved.

Jesus Christ, the problem I'm addressing has absolutely nonothi to do with missmis weight, the problem is having fighters actually fight at their true weight.

Adding one more weigh in after the fight will accomplish that, and is really not that complicated.

The current system does absolutely nothing to address people who really weigh 180-190 and fight at 155 for example. It's an ongoing problem.

Dumb idea, to much rethinking the wheel.

The solution is larger fines and long suspensions. Miss weight, your potential purse is $500 and your suspended for a year. Problem solved.
at this point thats the only solution.people only take things seriously if u punish them financially unfortunately.

I think judo might still have you weigh in right before you step on the mat.

I can see it now. One fighter dominates but misses weigh out by an ounce. The other makes weigh out by an ounce but has 3 ounces of his blood on the floor. Sherdom Explosion!

Or just have usda carry around a scale with them. If you aren’t within 15-20 pounds of your weight class you have to move up

Just add more weight classes like boxing. Unfortunately it will take a long time before UFC reaps the benefits of having multiple weight classes.

Jesus Christ, the problem I'm addressing has absolutely nonothi to do with missmis weight, the problem is having fighters actually fight at their true weight.

Adding one more weigh in after the fight will accomplish that, and is really not that complicated.

The current system does absolutely nothing to address people who really weigh 180-190 and fight at 155 for example. It's an ongoing problem.

What is true weight? I mean really. This is stupid. You want bone density on these guys? Do you want to measure their bench?

Hell, why not just ambush guys and certify them at that weight.

If a guy can make weight, that's how much he weighs. If he bloats up out of camp why does that even matter? If he can cut the water and fight, what difference does it really matter?

Weight classes aren't new. This is an imaginary problem. If weight cutting was the endgame you goobers pretend it is Gleison Tibau would be the undefeated goat.

He isn't, and weight cutting/weight managment will always be part of combat sports. It's part of the game as much as anything else.

Just do one weigh in on the day of the fight to discourage this weight cutting bullshit to begin with. Maybe some dumb asses will still try but I bet most fighters just move up a weight class.

They could also impose harsher penalties to missing weight on top of this because obviously 20% isn't enough.

How do you make Anderson step on a scale after the second Weidman fight?

Just do one weigh in on the day of the fight to discourage this weight cutting bullshit to begin with. Maybe some dumb asses will still try but I bet most fighters just move up a weight class.

They could also impose harsher penalties to missing weight on top of this because obviously 20% isn't enough.

I'm ok with this. Its definitely better than having guys weigh in the day before. Either way though they need to institute a change because the current system is a joke.

How do you make Anderson step on a scale after the second Weidman fight?

Good question. I suppose you can make exceptions to fighters with an extreme medical emergency. Its not perfect, but its not like fighters are going to purposely try and break their legs to avoid a weigh out.

What is true weight? I mean really. This is stupid. You want bone density on these guys? Do you want to measure their bench?

Hell, why not just ambush guys and certify them at that weight.

If a guy can make weight, that's how much he weighs. If he bloats up out of camp why does that even matter? If he can cut the water and fight, what difference does it really matter?

Weight classes aren't new. This is an imaginary problem. If weight cutting was the endgame you goobers pretend it is Gleison Tibau would be the undefeated goat.

He isn't, and weight cutting/weight management will always be part of combat sports. It's part of the game as much as anything else.

Only its not an "imaginary" problem. Are people just "imagining" every single time a fighter steps on the scale and looks like a skeleton? Are people just "imagining" every single medical issue that arises as a result of extreme weight cutting?

Obviously not, and you're just talking out of your ass. Pretending that a problem doesn't exist doesn't mean that you don't have one. But go back to having your head in the sand if you want.

Talking about measuring people's bench and ambushing them is just hyperbolic nonsense. Adding a weight out is really not that difficult of a proposition.

Bruce Buffer: "AAAAAAAND ....STILL LIGHTWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD, KHABIB NURMAGO-
*Random Executive whispers*
Bruce Buffer: "Due to the weigh out results..... AAAAAANNNDDD..... NEW LIGHTWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD, CONOR MCGREGOR!!!"

thats why its a bad idea
business wise, it just makes the product feel cheap if that was the outcome.

A good solution will make sense business wise and fighter safety wise.

Care to elaborate? Whats so difficult about having a fighter step on a scale after the fight?

Well for 1..this will be more then 24 hrs then the first weigh in..5 pounds isnt much of a grace period to equate a DQ..secondly who gives shit about after fight..you still had a mucj larger guy beating on smaller guy...danger level is still there..

Better way would be a version i came up with that goes like this..

Telelvised offical weigh in like now the day before the fight..then a non televison day of the fight weigh in that is 6 hours before the start of the first fight of the evening where all competitors can not be 10 pounds over there previous weigh in weight..

Example : Robert whittaker officially weigh ins at 185.0 lbs ..his fight day weigh in can not exceed 195.0 lbs..or the fight is off and his opponent will receive 100% of his purse if he makes weight both times.

This would eliminate huge wieght cutters as we all know romero wont make the 195/196 cut off and it isnt worth the risk as he gets no money apon missing..

Problem solved without the potential brain damage and a shit ton of DQs on peoplea records

It wouldn’t be safe. Fighters would regain the weight, win 2 or 3 rounds and cut weight the rest of the fight. What if they get hit in the head then?

Well for 1..this will be more then 24 hrs then the first weigh in..5 pounds isnt much of a grace period to equate a DQ..secondly who gives shit about after fight..you still had a mucj larger guy beating on smaller guy...danger level is still there..

Better way would be a version i came up with that goes like this..

Telelvised offical weigh in like now the day before the fight..then a non televison day of the fight weigh in that is 6 hours before the start of the first fight of the evening where all competitors can not be 10 pounds over there previous weigh in weight..

Example : Robert whittaker officially weigh ins at 185.0 lbs ..his fight day weigh in can not exceed 195.0 lbs..or the fight is off and his opponent will receive 100% of his purse if he makes weight both times.

This would eliminate huge wieght cutters as we all know romero wont make the 195/196 cut off and it isnt worth the risk as he gets no money apon missing..

Problem solved without the potential brain damage and a shit ton of DQs on peoplea records

"5 pounds isn't much of a grace"

That's the whole point, we don't want the fighters to have much of a grace. And its directly after the fight so there's no way they could get away with even a little bit of shenanigans.

The problem with having them weigh in "6 hours before the fight" is that fighters will still be able to get away with a huge weight cut.

Also, what's the point of weighing them the day before, if you are going to weigh them 6 hours before the fight? You're not really going to have much of a difference there. As far as I'm concerned, if you're not going to have a "weigh out", then you should only weigh them once.

Bruce Buffer: "AAAAAAAND ....STILL LIGHTWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD, KHABIB NURMAGO-
*Random Executive whispers*
Bruce Buffer: "Due to the weigh out results..... AAAAAANNNDDD..... NEW LIGHTWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD, CONOR MCGREGOR!!!"

thats why its a bad idea
business wise, it just makes the product feel cheap if that was the outcome.

A good solution will make sense business wise and fighter safety wise.

Finally, someone comes up with a good rebuttable.

This is actually a fair point and would make for a horrible outcome. The thing is though, if the winner of the fight misses the weigh out, you wouldn't just automatically give the belt to the loser either.

If anything, you would strip the belt away from the winner, and they'd lose a portion of their purse. From there you would probably need to get an interim title going after that. Yes that would suck, but it would also serve as a huge deterrence as well.

"5 pounds isn't much of a grace"

That's the whole point, we don't want the fighters to have much of a grace. And its directly after the fight so there's no way they could get away with even a little bit of shenanigans.

The problem with having them weigh in "6 hours before the fight" is that fighters will still be able to get away with a huge weight cut.

Also, what's the point of weighing them the day before, if you are going to weigh them 6 hours before the fight? You're not really going to have much of a difference there. As far as I'm concerned, if you're not going to have a "weigh out", then you should only weigh them once.

Honest question Have you ever cut weight before?..

Because if you have 5 pound rehydration rule after 24 plus hours of the first weigh in while drinking water during a fight and before and after..its practically impossible not be 5 pounds over..

Also you clearily didnt read my entire post..how can you be 185 pounds on friday after noon around 3pm and be 195 pounds day of the fight around the same time maybe a few hours later..and be a huge cutter still?..you cant rehydrate that much in 6 hours..plus if you are cutting huge weight your not even rehydrating from the first weigh in that much as you still need to be under 195..6 hours before the prelims..meaning instead of having 24 hours to rehydrate ull only have 6..which means your fucked ..and will be fighting not fully recovered at all

And if you miss ...you arent getting paid a dime..that alone stops huge cutters

Back