Some Fedor achievements and perspective.

jeff7b9

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
A bit of perspective on what Fedor accomplished...

18 wins as Lineal Pride HW champion.
(AKA 18 defenses of lineal world HW championship)
This is the longest winning streak anyone ever had in the history of MMA while holding a major title
(and never losing it in the ring or on the scale)
Jon Jones 14 (or 13w 1nc)
Anderson Silva 14
Wandy 12
Mighty Mouse 11
GSP 10
Royce Gracie 10
Jose Aldo 9 (WEC + UFC)
<{silvanormal}><JonesLaugh><mma3>

28 fight unbeaten streak. (27w 1nc)

Mark Coleman (2x) UFC HW champ, Pride GP champ, NCAA D1 wrestling champ, 3x Pan Am wrestling champ
Big Nog (2x) Pride HW champ, 2x Rings Champ, UFC HW interim* champ, only fight to ever hold Pride and UFC division championships*
Kevin Randleman UFC HW Champ, 2x NCAA D1 wrestling champ
Tim Sylvia 2x UFC HW Champ
Andrei Arlovski UFC HW champ
Mirko CroCop PrideFC GP champion, K1 Champ, IKBF world kickboxing champ, Rìzin GP champ
Semmy Schilt 4x K1 champ, Glory HW champ
Mark Hunt K1 Champ
Babalu (SF champ)
15 of these fights were in PrideFC, 2 Affliction, 1 Strikeforce, 7 Rings Meaning this streak occurred at the highest level.
Khabib Nurmagomedov 29-0
Igor Vovchanchyn 37 (36w 1 nc)
Renan Barao 32 (31w 1nc)
Miguel Torres 20, 17
Bas Rutten 22 (21w 1d)

All phenomenal streaks, but I do believe that Fedor did it at a higher level of competition and with a bigger target on his back throughout his streak.

For example, Khabib has 1 more fight and 2 more wins in his streak, but only 3 of his wins were as champ vs Fedor piling up 18 wins after winning world championship, and only 13 of Khabibs wins were in a premier org, where you could argue 25 of Fedors 28 win streak were in premier orgs
<KhabibBS>

Overall Resume:

9 wins over UFC Champs

Pride HW champ
Pride Tournament champ

Rings Tournament Champ 2x

WAMMA HW Champ

Combat Sambo World Champ 3x
Combat Sambo Russian Champ 6x

Notable Victories:

Mark Coleman (2x) UFC HW champ, Pride GP champ, NCAA D1 wrestling champ, 3x Pan Am wrestling champ

Big Nog (2x) Pride HW champ, 2x Rings Champ, UFC HW interim* champ, only fight to ever hold Pride and UFC division championships*

Kevin Randleman UFC HW Champ, 2x NCAA D1 wrestling champ

Tim Sylvia 2x UFC HW Champ

Frank Mir 2x UFC HW Champ (1 undisputed, 1 interim)

Andrei Arlovski UFC HW champ

Rampage Jackson UFC LHW Champ

Mirko CroCop PrideFC GP champion, K1 Champ, IKBF world kickboxing champ, Rìzin GP champ

Semmy Schilt
4x K1 champ, Glory HW champ

Mark Hunt
K1 Champ

Babalu SF champ

If you came to call me out for biased Fedor nuthugging, save your energy, yes, that is what is going on here.
<Fedor23>

Personally I think at his best he could beat any HW and still consider him amongst the GOAT. In his prime he just seemed unstoppable, and his record reflected it. Respect to a real Legend and still one of if not the GOAT

Fedor was a fucking savage. Best to do it. Anyone that watched him in his prime knows how good he was, and even being able to beat decent guys in your 40's is impressive. I saw his first fight in America when Pride came to the Thomas and Mack center in Las Vegas and he brutalized Mark Coleman in front of his daughters.

Pride 32 - The Real Deal (sherdog.com)

Just looked up the card and forgot Butterbean fought a WWF guy. Ha, awesome card

The name Fedor has been in my vernacular since 2002-2003, and will never leave my vocabulary.
Watching him all these years has brought me much joy, fear, sadness and most of all PRIDE.

He has handled all aspects of his career with nothing less than class.
Whether it's his wins or losses he is truly humble, gracious, and a god damn warrior.

For all champions and wannabes alike, this is what it looks like to be a man.

War Fedor

When he beat Big Nog, he also won the UFC lineal HW title. So,18 wins as Lineal Pride HW champion AND Lineal UFC HW champ.

Fedor was also a 2x Russian Nationals Bronze Medalist in Judo (arguably the hardest country at HW in the world to qualify for an Olympic team).

Fedor was amazing.

Prime Fedor was a beast. Then he became Christian, got off the PEDs, and became a weaker version of himself. Doesn't help that he never weight trained properly like a pro athlete should instead preferring bodyweight exercises.

When he beat Big Nog, he also won the UFC lineal HW title. So,18 wins as Lineal Pride HW champion AND Lineal UFC HW champ.

That's cool, I'll have to look the lineage up.

So the whole idea for this thread came to me when looking thru Fightmatrix and stumbling upon their Lineal title histories.

It isn't Fedors fault that Pride folded, or that Pride held a lot of tournaments, but because of that he didnt rack up a lot of official title defenses. But I felt it was worth taking a look at how long Fedor kept winning with that target on his back, becuase it is more than any fighter ever and he did it at the most dangerous weightclass.

They had lower weight Lineal histories going back years before I even knew mma existed, but I didn't see anyone with a run like Fedors.

The main critiques against Fedor is
"Never fought in UFC"
"Fought cans"

And both of those miss or attempt to confuse from the fact that he was fighting the best in the world during his prime undefeated run, they just weren't in the UFC. And when he did face the guys who held the UFC belts at that time, he walked thru them with ease.

"He fought cans" OK, well, it looks to me like he would fight 3,4, maybe 5x a year, and yes, maybe there would be a New Years freakshow fight in there... but show me anyone else who has an undefeated run which includes 7 wins over UFC Champs, 4 wins over Pride champs, wins over multiple kickboxing world champs, multiple NCAA champions, submission grappling champions.

Fedor was also a 2x Russian Nationals Bronze Medalist in Judo (arguably the hardest country at HW in the world to qualify for an Olympic team).

Fedor was amazing.
Good point, particularly since it brings to light that Fedor was actively competing at an elite level in multiple combat sport disciplines at the same time.

This is a part of why he couldn't come to terms with the UFC, certainly not the whole story, but a piece of it.

Great idea for a post TS. New stuff for us to chew on.

Back