Some jab sparring

Zabit 145 Goat

Who iz nyext?
Banned
Reaction score
Some videos of me doing some light jab sparring.

I got into boxing about 4 years ago but only go for a 1-on-1 session once a week since that's really all I can afford and well, I have a family and other goals to achieve.

I'd like to compete a little bit amateur once I'm ready for it .

What do I need to improve the most and how should I go about it?
All tips and criticism is welcome but don't post just to talk shit.

I'm the white guy lol.

Last edited:
1-on-1 sessions with your friend? Who are you learning from

1:16 to 1:27 video 1 you lower your hands all the way. Unless you're doing it for a specific reason I wouldn't get into the habit.

Try not to hold them a lot lower than your chin, especially for beginning. Once you find your style maybe itll fit into it but hands by the waist also make it that much harder to counter

EDIT: same with 2:00 into the second video. You just lower your arms fully. Someone more skilled than your bud will feint and find an opening off that. I stead of putting your hands down try to get behind your opponent. Just as flustering for them much safer for you

If you truly have ambitions to compete as an amateur, in any capacity, you'll have to join a gym and essentially start over.

There is nothing in either video that I could possibly critique and provide you with feedback to better your boxing. Not a knock, not talking shit, but there is nothing in the videos that really resembles even the most fundamental elements of boxing.

If you're serious about any sort of competition, you need to join a gym with an open mind willing to start over. If you have other priorities (family, other obligations, etc.), that's totally understandable, but it would come at the expense of never pursuing boxing in any real capacity.

If you truly have ambitions to compete as an amateur, in any capacity, you'll have to join a gym and essentially start over.

There is nothing in either video that I could possibly critique and provide you with feedback to better your boxing. Not a knock, not talking shit, but there is nothing in the videos that really resembles even the most fundamental elements of boxing.

If you're serious about any sort of competition, you need to join a gym with an open mind willing to start over. If you have other priorities (family, other obligations, etc.), that's totally understandable, but it would come at the expense of never pursuing boxing in any real capacity.

Thank you for your honesty. I will find a boxing gym to join an learn the basics. From my experience, unlike other sports like soccer and basketball, boxing is difficult to train by yourself because I'm unsure whether I'm doing things correctly (footwork, twisting at the end of punches, rotation, etc etc) so its almost necessary to spend plenty of time( multiple days a week) at the gym with a coach.

In that regard, I don't know if I have the time to actually progress . We'll see.

One thing you could do better is to stop being so hesistant. And start pushing the pace more. And try mixing up body head body. With the jab. Try going 1 to the head and than 2 jabs to the body. Or try doing double jab to the head, and 1 to the body whatever works for you. If you ever do a for real spar make sure to spar smart.

Thank you for your honesty. I will find a boxing gym to join an learn the basics. From my experience, unlike other sports like soccer and basketball, boxing is difficult to train by yourself because I'm unsure whether I'm doing things correctly (footwork, twisting at the end of punches, rotation, etc etc) so its almost necessary to spend plenty of time( multiple days a week) at the gym with a coach.

In that regard, I don't know if I have the time to actually progress . We'll see.

have to mirror the opinion of @Cheap Shot

Your video is exactly what it looks like- throwing a few 'jabs' at a friend for a bit of a workout. Let's be honest here, there are plenty of experienced guys on here who could tear your technique to shreds. Here's a few bits though to help you get one up on him a bit.

-dont just stand there for 5 seconds and then lunge in...you can see your approach from a mile away

-side step left/right/backwards then explode in...you can still hit light and go 100% speed

-i can see you are noticing how physically demanding it is simply moving around and trying to get one punch on someone...having superior stamina and endurance will help an awful lot

-you flick your jab from the elbow, a jab is a full body movement from toes to ankles to calf etc etc

-you lean your head back when you throw a jab....taking away accuracy/speed/power and also opens you up for a massive counter punch...move your head more when you commit to a punch...not backwards unless it is momentarily AFTER the jab

Back