Some purple belt dude opened a BJJ gym close to the MMA gym I train at.

Of course, especially to be gym owner : business owner might be even just an investor. Without any skills, for this he is able to hire coaches.

Regards to another part, too yes and sometimes one just didn't had opportunity to get suitable pro bouts to climb up.
One from world level weightlifting coaches in his sport career was just champ in small country.
Get injured.
He is true A+++ level coach, if I correctly remember 26 years was National Olympic team's head coach. Why he is more than just coach? He is excellent tutor and now most likely his student reached level to serve next games as National team's head coach.
Yes, not notable former athlete was able not only help to get medals, appeared that was able to teach a guy to be his level coach.
Another example: highest sport achievments ; once junior champ and once student's champ in large country.
Mainly because he was a student in Uni not just formally.
Best his students achievment level was Olympic gold medal level.

-

-
BTW, what accomplishments had these guys:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Kuznetsov_(wrestling_coach)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cus_D'Amato

Cus had a brief career as an amateur boxer, boxing as a featherweight and lightweight, but was unable to get a professional license because of an eye injury

Yeah but there's a difference between "accomplishments" vs "knowledge, skill, and being good as a teacher/coach"

Let's face it we have no idea how good this purple belt is, who he is, if he's a good teacher, etc. But most likely he's not going to have great knowledge if he's a purple belt, but maybe he has enough to teach new students very well for a 1-3 years+ at his current level.

D'Amato maybe didn't accomplish a ton but neither did Bill Belichick nor did John Danaher. D'Amato might have had top tier knowledge and love for the sport, and studied it 7 days a week and could tell you more about angles and footwork and punching, boxing as a whole, than 99% of others. John Danaher is a perfect example of that applied to BJJ, he didn't compete or anything but he's extremely knowledgeable, created his own systems, and is one of the best BJJ minds / coaches out there.

Ultimately, it's highly unlikely a random purple belt (who is allegedly not good) is even remotely close to those standards.

Unless he's very weak physically and/or crippled in some way...I would guarantee he doesn't have the knowledge. Even if OP failed to mention himself being a 225lb "muscular" former college wrestler and football player at brown belt originally, and even if he was...the purple belt should have put up a "fight" and been competitive most likely unless severely weaker/crippled/injured.

It's probably fine to open a gym in a rural area with no schools around, it's beneficial. But at the same time we just don't have the information to know if this guy is a "fake" Purple belt in who was ranked up due to longevity/attendance to some extent, or what.

Even if OP failed to mention himself being a 225lb "muscular" former college wrestler and football player at brown belt originally, and even if he was
I actually believe that OP is 225 lbs and with low fat.
I regulary see bodybuilder type guys with 7 - 10 - 11 % body fat.
If they are large, might be 225lbs or more. Even if they are with 0 combat training background might be 225 lbs with low fat, a lot of muscles.

Last edited:
So some purple belt dude opened a BJJ gym close to the MMA gym I train at. I thought that's pretty odd because that dude actually sucks! he came to our open mat and rolled, I was tapping him left and right, i just thought that it's weird and unheard of when a purple belt younger guy in his early 30's that sucks would opened up a BJJ gym. He said he'll be teaching all by himself, won't even hire anyone to teach for him. Wow, that's very ballsy. I guess he doesn't mind feeling stupid if people go there and tap his ass left and right like I did, and I'm just some mid 40's old fart hobbyist brown belt.
martiala rts brings out the crazy people but they always fail so let him waste his cash but again he is after all a coach and thats all that matters id rather train with a guy i coud destroy if somehow he could teach me to be better than with a guy who could beta me but wasnt very technicala s a coach

OP needs more 'Murica
well tbh it is the best country ever if not we wouldnt have millions a year trying to sneak in u cant get enough murica love

nobody is gonna go to a place they hate

It was already said that a weak fighter can be a strong coach - so here's a recent example.

Eugene Bareman
https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/8805-eugene-bareman

Nothing special, 4-3 MMA career against mostly nobodies. No outstanding accomplishments as a fighter.

As a coach: Izzy Adesanya (UFC MW champ), Alex Volkanovski (UFC FW champ).

well tbh it is the best country ever if not we wouldnt have millions a year trying to sneak in u cant get enough murica love

nobody is gonna go to a place they hate

Skilled people from decent countries aren't generally trying to sneak in.

Skilled people from decent countries aren't generally trying to sneak in.
well then im glad you are basically saying the trashy people are he ones sneaking in lol ud get called a racist to say this in usa though

I actually believe that OP is 225 lbs and with low fat.
I regulary see bodybuilder type guys with 7 - 10 - 11 % body fat.
If they are large, might be 225lbs or more. Even if they are with 0 combat training background might be 225 lbs with low fat, a lot of muscles.
Don't know why is that a big deal. I'm still slow as fuck and I'm a mid 40's old fart. Young and athletic purple belts closer to my weight, I have trouble against during a roll. But other old farts my age that's close to my size.. I never really have trouble against them during a roll.

It was already said that a weak fighter can be a strong coach - so here's a recent example.

Eugene Bareman
https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/8805-eugene-bareman

Nothing special, 4-3 MMA career against mostly nobodies. No outstanding accomplishments as a fighter.

As a coach: Izzy Adesanya (UFC MW champ), Alex Volkanovski (UFC FW champ).

Big difference between a guy who has actually completed and a trash purple.

Martial arts attracts guys who want to be the "sensi" and teach without going through the hard part of actually training hard. Those guys should be avoided like a the plague.

Yeah but there's a difference between "accomplishments" vs "knowledge, skill, and being good as a teacher/coach"

Let's face it we have no idea how good this purple belt is, who he is, if he's a good teacher, etc. But most likely he's not going to have great knowledge if he's a purple belt, but maybe he has enough to teach new students very well for a 1-3 years+ at his current level.

D'Amato maybe didn't accomplish a ton but neither did Bill Belichick nor did John Danaher. D'Amato might have had top tier knowledge and love for the sport, and studied it 7 days a week and could tell you more about angles and footwork and punching, boxing as a whole, than 99% of others. John Danaher is a perfect example of that applied to BJJ, he didn't compete or anything but he's extremely knowledgeable, created his own systems, and is one of the best BJJ minds / coaches out there.

Ultimately, it's highly unlikely a random purple belt (who is allegedly not good) is even remotely close to those standards.

Unless he's very weak physically and/or crippled in some way...I would guarantee he doesn't have the knowledge. Even if OP failed to mention himself being a 225lb "muscular" former college wrestler and football player at brown belt originally, and even if he was...the purple belt should have put up a "fight" and been competitive most likely unless severely weaker/crippled/injured.

It's probably fine to open a gym in a rural area with no schools around, it's beneficial. But at the same time we just don't have the information to know if this guy is a "fake" Purple belt in who was ranked up due to longevity/attendance to some extent, or what.
Thing is that guys like Danaher makes some other guy believe they can be similar and honestly , it can happen.
Big difference between a guy who has actually completed and a trash purple.

Martial arts attracts guys who want to be the "sensi" and teach without going through the hard part of actually training hard. Those guys should be avoided like a the plague.
Maybe the pruple competed, anyway I am not defending him but keep in mind that outside the US many of us started training with a blue or purple at most.

Very odd to me that someone would start a BJJ gym at a purple belt level

Man, have things ever changed! This used to be the norm, only 10 years ago. Now gyms often have multiple hobbyist BLACK belts and are almost always run by a high brown or black belt.

I'm actually ok with what TS described though. Maybe the guy just isn't very athletic or something - he could still have good technique and be a good instructor. I would rather have a guy who isn't particularly great rolling (should still be pretty decent obviously but doesn't have to be a world-beater), but who has a lot of knowledge and very technical approach teaching, than some athletic tank of a dude who doesn't really have much knowledge to pass on and help others improve. And, I would much rather an instructor be an honestly graded purple belt than an overpromoted black belt so he could open his gym.

Last edited:
Back