PlayStation Sony just introduced a 4k per eye XR headset "VR / Augmented Reality "

PEB

Sunflower in support of Ukraine
@Steel
Reaction score

"
Today at CES Sony revealed a new standalone MR headset equipped with “4K” OLED displays. The headset is yet-unnamed, but the company says it’s aimed at creatives building 3D content and will launch this year.
"

"
Sony’s unnamed standalone MR headset is based on Qualcomm’s XR2+ Gen 2 processor and is said to include 1.3-inch “4K” OLED microdisplays. It isn’t clear at this time if Sony means 16MP (4,000 × 4,000) per-eye, or something else, but considering that XR2+ Gen 2 can purportedly power two displays up to 18.5MP (4,100 × 4,100) each, it may indeed be the case. We’ve reached out to the company for clarity."

Not really a gaming headset yet no doubt that could come as tools get developed. Playstation is just my guess for a name.

Samsung headset will share the same basic specs as Sony but will be set for more consumer friendly setup. Expect gaming support when it is released.

"

What you need to know​

• Samsung's new XR headset is set to debut later this year as a direct competitor to the Apple Vision Pro.
  • One leaker says the headset should debut around $1,000, making it one-third of the price of Apple's headset.
  • It costs Apple $1,500 to manufacture the Apple Vision Pro, so there's no telling how Samsung would achieve this price tag."
They are making many of the parts where Apple buys everything made by 3rd parties.

Not something I am interested in but cool I guess

These look dope, but as someone who travels quite a bit, I'm more interested in the advancement of AR glasses than full goggles.

Interesting development considering that Sony refused to give Qualcomm public credit for the PlayStation Portal

Reactions: PEB
Speaking about VR Palmer Luckey founder of Oculus went an tried on the Primax Crystal headset with Primax new wireless adapter. Many calling it thr first with 0G AirLink, utilizing cutting-edge 60G millimeter wave (mmWave) technology.

Here is Palmer trying it on for the first time.

Pimax_60G_AirLink_Demo_at_CES_2024.jpg

Well comparisons are being started between Meta Quest 3, Sony new headset VS Apple Vision Pro an there is no comparison. Apple apparently visually completely dominant now people have had a chance to test it. It's like nothing on the market today.

These comments from people who had a chance to test to test it. Many have had previously owned headsets from Valve, Meta, Primax an others. The M2 chip performance was a big part of the show well as display. They said hand tracking latency was non existent an the product shows highly refined already. Seems like Apple has a winner on there hands.

Vision Pro ordering open you wealthy Sherdoggers.

These comments from people who had a chance to test to test it. Many have had previously owned headsets from Valve, Meta, Primax an others. The M2 chip performance was a big part of the show well as display. They said hand tracking latency was non existent an the product shows highly refined already. Seems like Apple has a winner on there hands.
The $3,500 price tag means it's dead on arrival since that instantly eliminates the vast majority of potential VR adopters. It's a very nice dev kit, however, and may push the industry along a little.

The $3,500 price tag means it's dead on arrival since that instantly eliminates the vast majority of potential VR adopters. It's a very nice dev kit, however, and may push the industry along a little.
I don't think Apple has a huge interest in the consumer market. I am developing a business but I don't know enough about the product to invest the money. I don't know what connectivity options like does it support PC connectivity it does seem unlikely? I already have spent thousands on VR headsets finding many issues with them.

Not paid by Meta but the Quest 3 is the first headset that comes closest to complete fusion. It works well on PC an Mac. I hear a lot of people say how well it works on a Mac.

Of course its price is attractive compared to the Vision Pro but to me the rumored 10 billion Meta paid to develop the software is a big deal. I think even Apple would find that hard to commit too number wise.

Example I turn on my simulator an PC login done everything else is in the headset. I do power the headset with external battery because Quest 3 battery is garbage life wise.

You can even go without controllers because I use my keyboard an steering wheel. I could go even using the virtual keyboard on the headset but prefer passthrough an my keyboard.

This just a few of the issues this resolves nothing to date comes close. I even have a steam launching on my headset app. LG rumored to be working with Meta on a high-end headset.

A high-end AR without passthrough cameras meaning transparent LED technology. But this takes using Meta multi-billion dollar IP. I think this is just the beginning an Apple have a huge hill to climb.

Side note a few negative Meta Quest 3 posts . Some are legit many feel like Chinese trolling. I owned Chinese an Taiwanese headsets Pimax an Vive head disappointed experiences but Vive Pro 2 has amazing displays an decent software support. But I also have the VIVE XR Elite major disappointment.

Primax 8k cannot recommend support is difficult an will not work with my 3090 ti graphics card.

Last edited:
I don't think Apple has a huge interest in the consumer market. I am developing a business but I don't know enough about the product to invest the money.
This is one of the many reasons the Vision Pro is a poor match for businesses, who want things to be cheap, reliable and have built in tech support (aka buy from dealers, not direct from company).
Of course its price is attractive compared to the Vision Pro but to me the rumored 10 billion Meta paid to develop the software is a big deal. I think even Apple would find that hard to commit too number wise.
The Vision Pro's price reflects software R&D. The hardware components alone don't cost anywhere near $3,500. It's an M2 chip (sunken cost and not that expensive), displays aren't very expensive, storage is dirt cheap even after price increases, etc.
You can even go without controllers because I use my keyboard an steering wheel. I could go even using the virtual keyboard on the headset but prefer passthrough an my keyboard.
Again, this is what makes it a bad match for businesses. How naturally do you think a bunch of 40 or 50 year olds will pick up the nuances of using VR for work?

Time i spent in the corporate world of engineering around AutoCAD. GE was light years ahead of every company including Siemens. Way GE utilized AutoLISP was absolutely breathtaking. So as a former AutoCAD designer this is cool. But gives me hesitation on actual functionality with Siemens is involved.

Back