Sopranos - Aged remarkable well

Prefect

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
So, HBO is playing the Sopranos back to back and I am watching it thinking it will have aged like milk but it hasn't. Sopranos if released today will still be a massive hit. The acting and writing is all bang on tight. The pacing is modern pacing. It kicks the shit out of stuff like The Shield and Sons of Anarchy. I still think The Wire is better but Sopranos holds up remarkable well considering it was the first big cable series and there is a million cable and streaming series now and very few even hold up to the first.

Yeah it was a good show. The stuff that wasn't network sanitized from around then still holds up quite well. Six Feet Under, Sleeper Cell, etc.

It even holds on binge watching. The part that strikes me is that it manages to hold this chord of being both horrific and humorous at the same time. It is funny but not trying to be funny, if that makes sense. Breaking Bad in my opinion often failed to hold a good tone. Like the first few seasons, Walt was a stupid mess and then it got overly and weirdly serious. I like the show but it lost its tone of being a high school teacher who is winging it.

It even holds on binge watching. The part that strikes me is that it manages to hold this chord of being both horrific and humorous at the same time. It is funny but not trying to be funny, if that makes sense.

I think it knows when it's being funny. Paulie's "WHAT?" when the Joe Perry guy tells him that Vito was giving the BJ and not receiving it, in fact everything about Vito. It's funny when Tony just takes off in his big boat with complete disregard for anyone else and nearly capsizes a smaller boat to end an episode while Wheel in the Sky is playing...a father son bonding moment but it's still Tony being an asshole. Blasting Rock the Casbah as he chases down Frank "the Shah of Iran" Leotardo...

But it delivers the humor with a deadpan instead of a laugh track...as most things should.

Last edited:
I think it knows when it's being funny. Paulie's "WHAT?" when the Joe Perry guy tells him that Vito was giving the BJ and not receiving it, in fact everything about Vito. It's funny when Tony just takes off in his big boat with complete disregard for anyone else and nearly capsizes a smaller boat to end an episode while Wheel in the Sky is playing...a father son bonding moment but it's still Tony being an asshole. Blasting Rock the Casbah as he chases down Frank "the Shah of Iran" Leotardo...

But it delivers the humor with a deadpan instead of a laugh track...as most thing should.

I think you put it better. It is funny but not forced. Like, if you had a group of guys together for a lifetime in any industry, there would be a lot of stupid funny stories that they would have.

Hbo max may have revived the sopranos I rewatched the series the last time i watched it was 2014.

pretty good but it's pretty dated

they should rerelease it with one tweaks for the modern era.

1. Adrianne and chrissy are on only fans
2. melfi is 60 lbs over weight has blue hair and spends the sessions screeching at tone about his privilege
3. the teacher doesn't bang carm, but instead is an over weight teacher that bangs AJ
4. instead of earlybird specials Artie drives doordash
5. Janice is good hearted and the feel good center of the show. she overcomes body shaming, and slut shaming
6. Heshs big scheme is digging tunnel in NYC to help hasidics get to the synagouge
7. digitally add face masks to all the actors and social distancing
8. instead of a call center they have a crypto scheme
9. Chris is addicted to fent and dies mid way through season 3
10. Victory takes over the family with the help of his daughter Vita jr.
11. massive genius is a sound cloud trapper that gets replaced 10x during the season because he keeps getting killed
12. Philly is shot at a charging station and there is no roll back because it's a Tesla

I finally watched it for the first time last year. I have no idea why it took me 20 years to get around to it.

the series is great. deserving of every accolade. holds up perfectly well.

some of the best tv ever made

I think its aged so well partly because its between two eras, has the higher production values of a modern high end show but retains more of the character and quirky comedy of an earlier era.

I rewatched the whole series at the beginning of Covid and yes, it is still fantastic. It didn't lose anything with age and I hadn't watched since the initial run.

But it delivers the humor with a deadpan instead of a laugh track...as most things should.

Shah of Iran had a brother who died at the age of 46, he was a fucking kid!

There have been mainstream articles talking about how Gen Z had become big fans of the Sopranos during the lockdown because they connected with the themes of depression and other things.

pretty good but it's pretty dated

they should rerelease it with one tweaks for the modern era.

1. Adrianne and chrissy are on only fans
2. melfi is 60 lbs over weight has blue hair and spends the sessions screeching at tone about his privilege
3. the teacher doesn't bang carm, but instead is an over weight teacher that bangs AJ
4. instead of earlybird specials Artie drives doordash
5. Janice is good hearted and the feel good center of the show. she overcomes body shaming, and slut shaming
6. Heshs big scheme is digging tunnel in NYC to help hasidics get to the synagouge
7. digitally add face masks to all the actors and social distancing
8. instead of a call center they have a crypto scheme
9. Chris is addicted to fent and dies mid way through season 3
10. Victory takes over the family with the help of his daughter Vita jr.
11. massive genius is a sound cloud trapper that gets replaced 10x during the season because he keeps getting killed
12. Philly is shot at a charging station and there is no roll back because it's a Tesla

where's the dozen of interracial queer couples?

I don't think it would ever get made in this era of political correctness.

Probably my favorite show of all time

I mean technically it is dated but it holds up well because of the acting and writing just like The Godfather or Goodfellas

So, HBO is playing the Sopranos back to back and I am watching it thinking it will have aged like milk but it hasn't. Sopranos if released today will still be a massive hit. The acting and writing is all bang on tight. The pacing is modern pacing. It kicks the shit out of stuff like The Shield and Sons of Anarchy. I still think The Wire is better but Sopranos holds up remarkable well considering it was the first big cable series and there is a million cable and streaming series now and very few even hold up to the first.

The Wire is probably my second favorite drama of all time. Used to have it over The Sopranos but after repeated watches of both, I’ll give The Sopranos the edge in acting. The Wire had a more diverse roster and I’m not just referring to skin tone

Started my rewatch a few months ago, but GONNA START ALL OVER AGAIN AS A TRIBUTE TO THE 25th ANNIVERSARY.

giphy.gif

<209Bitch><{natewhut}>

The Wire is probably my second favorite drama of all time. Used to have it over The Sopranos but after repeated watches of both, I’ll give The Sopranos the edge in acting. The Wire had a more diverse roster and I’m not just referring to skin tone
The Sopranos does I think have the edge in charismatic casting, the Wire is not lacking in that of course but the Supranos I think gave a chance to several actors who have the highest level chops but were never going to be leading Hollywood men/women.

Again that is I think a bit of an example of a bygone era, the X-files I think benefited a lot from this as well with people involved who wouldnt get a chance of quality roles(or writting) on film so the show ended up classier than you might have thought. These days I think you often get the reverse were shows try and make themselves appear classier than they actually are with a slicker production.

I would say as well that I think in the case of all those shows the humour in them gives them more weight, too much modern stuff I think goes for po faced seriousness to the degree it dehumanises the characters.

Last edited:
Back