Southpaw Problems

Anthony559

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey guys well as the title says im the only southpaw in my gym where i train, so my coach makes me spar with everyone else which is about 5 other people. I was just wondering are there any techniques that could help me to handle so many orthodox fighters i always get caught with a teep and walk into the right cross. Oh also its Muay Thai sparring any tips would help thanks guys.

I've been training Muay Thai for 7 months and today was the very first time I was paired with a southpaw on the pads. We did some light sparring too, but nothing too major. I totally feel you......I'd also be curious about techniques to use against southpaws as well. I'm hoping to I could start pairing with this guy more often to used to going against a lefty.

i know i also wish there would be more southpaws so that i could get a feel for what its like sparring another one.

use your rear swing kick and your cross they are your best tools. keep your right foot outside his left foot. It depends on your style do u like hands or legs or combos or clinch.

My gym had about 5 really good Southpaws so I had plenty of practice with them. Anything can work its all just timing.

I was just wondering are there any techniques that could help me to handle so many orthodox fighters i always get caught with a teep and walk into the right cross. Oh also its Muay Thai sparring any tips would help thanks guys.

Defending the teep from their rear leg: I like to use my right hand to parry it, then kick that leg with my left roundhouse on its way down. After doing this though, a craftier fighter can trick you with a feint.

The right cross: If I'm closer I'll slip the right, then hit them with a left hook to the body, or throw my left cross over their right shoulder. At distance, I'll throw the left roundhouse to the body as soon as that cross comes out.

Circle away from the cross, young padawan.

There's one of you and five of them. So, you're training against their fighting stance 100% of the time and they're training against your fighting stance 20% of the time. You have a massive advantage here.

Catch their teep and use your own straight left. The straight cross is a fucking effective weapon to begin with, and it's super dangerous in the open stance (southpaw vs orthodox). You're probably not going to be able to avoid the straight cross forever, just try to land yours first.

Back