Squats are resulting in pulled Hams

StabbyMcHatchet

Add StabbyMcHatchet on Instagram Facebook Twitter
@Brown
Reaction score
Everytime I do squats, I am ending up straining my hams. It is never super serious, because I go light, but still, I feel it every time (Which equates to about 4 times over the last 2 years)

Let me explain: When I was a kid (12 and 13) I used to powerlift competitively. Clean & Jerk and Snatch. I stopped at 14 due to just basically losing interest, but the reason I bring it up is because I was winning trophies and I know my form was taught to me properly.

Now I am 41. I started lifting about a year and a half ago, just in order to supplement my strength for BJJ. For leg day I use machines but I hit everything. Abduct, Adduct, Ham curls, Quad extentions and Leg Press. (Calves are on other days)

Some Jiu Jitsu buddies said I would develop better "overall" strength with basic exercises and encouraged me to do deadlifts and squats. Well I started light and tried to incorporate them into my routines, but every-fucking-time I end up pulling/straining my hams. I am only lifting a 45 on each end of the bar guys, I am not going heavy. So because I seem to strain myself every time, I tend to avoid trying them for a while and just revert back to the machines.

Now I do Jits 5 times a week, and 4 of those times there is an intense HIIT routine as part of the warm up. We do squats and more squats (just body weight) and it's no prob. But as soon as I add weight, strain time.

wtf? It's a little frustrating. Any constructive input would be appreciated.

if you're straining yourself it's too heavy and/or your form is not perfect.

Form check.

Take the 45s off and start from scratch. It's been almost 30 years since you did the basic barbell lifts so you are starting all over again.

The Starting Strength DVD series or any of their squat videos would be a good place to start.

Even better would be to find a powerlifting coach in your area who can work you through 30 years of not lifting properly.

You wrote that you do Jiu-Jitsu, so I am going to assume that you do a lot of stretching there. If not, do it on your own.

If that doesn't help you, lower the weight you are lifting until your body adjusts to squats. It will take a month or two.

OK thanks guys. I thought 45x2 was low enough. I was squatting more than that when I was a kid, and I am still pretty strong overall. Just not used to the movement I guess.

Are you sure you don't get have DOMS? i.e. Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. If you've only squatted 4 times over the last 2 years you will probably be sore afterward no matter the weight you use.

Also if you haven't been squatting much even though you used to know the correct form you might be doing it wrong now.

I'd say go even lighter and take some video to assess your form. You probably also need to warm up more now than you did when you were younger.

Try box squats.
I'm not interested in competition so there is just no reason to not box squat.
Taking all the load off at the bottom is a gift as your push 40.

Hamstring pulls are often the result of weak/inhibited glutes.
Try switching to front squats for a few months and add heavy hip thrusts 1-2times per week.
Also do alot of glute activation stuff in your warmups.

Are you sure you don't get have DOMS? i.e. Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. If you've only squatted 4 times over the last 2 years you will probably be sore afterward no matter the weight you use.

Seconded.

DOMS was also my first thought.

When I haven't squatted for even a few weeks I sometimes get near-debilitating DOMS, even if I go very light.

Loading the bar with a 45 on each side and squatting multiple sets for reps after not having squatted for 30 years is quite likely to result in pretty significant DOMS, even if the weight doesn't feel particularly heavy.

C'mon guys, I know DOMS. I get DOMS the next day or two days after.
No, it's not DOMS.

I think I just need to start even lighter and get my hams accustomed to the motion under load bearing weights. I will try some front squats next time, but I will go lighter.

There's a very legitimate chance that you're having a flexibility issue. Not that you don't have the range of motion, but you no longer have strength in that ROM. If you've got a history of squatting I have faith in your form (but post a form check anyway, it's free)... Going from using machines to what is called "actually lifting weight" can be problematic for people in this way (now that your body has to do the work itself and you're no longer cheating by isolating and introducing artificial support via using machines). I would take the advice that's already been mentioned on here and start from lifting the bar all over again. Treat it like PT.

EDIT: Machines are the number one cause of Ebola.

Last edited:
Besides front squats, maybe throw in some dumb bell goblet squats and suitcase squats at low weight, high volume to help build you back up.

FWIW, If it's just to supplement grappling, I don't think squats are all that useful for BJJ. Rows, DLs and Bench Presses seem to be more applicable. How are those lifts for you?

Anterior pelvic tilt is a likely factor, methinks.

man i squatted 135 for the first time in 8 months (injured bicep tendon, surgery etc) this past monday and man oh man, Im still sore as hell

sittign down and standing up from a chair has been excruciating, and its been 4 days already ...

How is the flexibility/mobility of your

- ankles ? (calves)
- hams ?
- psoas ??

Anterior pelvic tilt is a likely factor, methinks.
I have a buddy who is a massage therapist, and I believe that is what he was saying too. Is that when your hips curl in at the bottom of the squat, and you end up putting work onto your lower lumbar region?

My flexability is above average, but not like it was when I was training TaeKwonDo 20 years ago.

I have a buddy who is a massage therapist, and I believe that is what he was saying too. Is that when your hips curl in at the bottom of the squat, and you end up putting work onto your lower lumbar region?

My flexability is above average, but not like it was when I was training TaeKwonDo 20 years ago.

That's usually called "butt wink."

Anterior pelvic tilt is this:
rsUha.jpg

If the pelvis is always tilted forward like that in your standing position, the hamstrings tend to be weak, tight, and constantly stretched, leading to high risk for hamstring strains/tears.

Last edited:
So 25 years ago you knew how to squat? You've tried to squat 4 times in two years?

You probably don't remember how to squat properly. You might think so in your brain, but your body is thinking otherwise.

I say your probably not used to letting your hammies get some work in. I recommend a good stretching and activation routine daily in the morning and the evening. Do it before bed and when you wake up. Quick and easy 5 minutes, but stretch out your legs really good and get your glutes and hammies working right. From there I'd recommend you doing lots of third world squats. Get into position and push your knees out with your elbows. Make sore that back is straight. Squeeze your glutes and get used to the feeling.

I used to have this problem when I started lifting. My hammies felt like they were just ready to severely cramp up at a moments notice.

Warm them up and use them more. It will work out. Stop making excuses not to squat.

Back