Standing bags - will they mess up your sense of distance?

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

The thin end of the wedge
@Steel
Reaction score
I have researched this and all I could find were individual product reviews.
On a general level, the obvious issue here is that these things don't move like conventional bags. I assume that one must recalibrate his footwork. Combo work has to be very different as well. Is it detrimental to technique, in your view?
Standards combos like 1-2-3-2-switch kick will have to be done much differently on a thing like that, there is no swing so no getting into a rythm, no motion when the bag gets back at you to work on pivoting, etc...

Thing is, I want to install a bag in my basement but am really reluctant to drill a hole, as the room in the basement is covered in nice decorative wood.

there is no swing so no getting into a rythm

Actually that's not right. Most of them have a swing, and the lighters ones specially will swing a lot more than a hanging heavy bag.
It just that the swing is at the top of the bag, but that can be a better way to work range with head strikes.
Your mid and low kick distance might be different if you are used to throw them when the bag is swinging back, but learning to throw them when the bag is near you is not a bad thing. Either by modifying your body position, or with some footwork.

I prefer the hanging heavy bag for multiple reasons, but i don't think working in a standing one will have negative effects. In fact it's probably a nice way to add some new details in your combos.

Edit. Just make sure if you get one, that it has a good heavy steady base. The worst thing for me on those bags is them dropping after a hard strike, messing with your flow and having to stop the exercise to put them back up. Lots of them are no so good for power strikes.

the room in the basement is covered in nice decorative wood.
Oh, a posh Sherdogger / basement dweller! :D

On topic: nah, I think it should be fine. Hanging bags don't move like humans when they swing either so whatever.

@Frode Falch what do you think?

Yeah i got my good old friend Bob XL. I use him. But i would never ever choose him over a normal boxing bag if i only could have one.

Yes the heavybag might not move like a human. But it dont have to. You got training partners for that. But at least it do move. And thats important for many things.

So what do i use my Bob for? I can spam kicks on like i would a partner standing still with pads. Its also cool to do dirty boxing on him, ect

Yeah it does, but this is why you have other tools in your arsenal to assist with this. Lame pad/mitt work also will ruin your sense of distance.

On a 1,2,3,kick. The 2 and 3, would never connect depending on what's thrown (to land the 3, the 2 has to jam, get full extension on the 2, the 3 would never hit)

Besides, in a live scenario, no one is going to plant themselves there and let you tee off on them with strikes, they're moving out or laterally which means you have to throw "pursuit" like combinations, and a standing bag just doesn't have that arrangement. If you're just working power, conditioning, single strike technique its fine I guess.

Yeah i got my good old friend Bob XL. I use him. But i would never ever choose him over a normal boxing bag if i only could have one.

Yes the heavybag might not move like a human. But it dont have to. You got training partners for that. But at least it do move. And thats important for many things.

So what do i use my Bob for? I can spam kicks on like i would a partner standing still with pads. Its also cool to do dirty boxing on him, ect
Frode confirmed that Bob is the bang piece and bag is the wife

I don't think so if you move with the bag, but if you're stationary then yes.

I have researched this and all I could find were individual product reviews.
On a general level, the obvious issue here is that these things don't move like conventional bags. I assume that one must recalibrate his footwork. Combo work has to be very different as well. Is it detrimental to technique, in your view?
Standards combos like 1-2-3-2-switch kick will have to be done much differently on a thing like that, there is no swing so no getting into a rythm, no motion when the bag gets back at you to work on pivoting, etc...

Thing is, I want to install a bag in my basement but am really reluctant to drill a hole, as the room in the basement is covered in nice decorative wood.

Get a pullup stand and hang the heavybag from the pullup bar.

It's the same thing as a bag stand but better than it because it can support more weight AND it doesn't have those gimmicky little spikes that you're supposed to put weight-plates on that get in the way of your feet (they're gimmicks-- don't need those because they don't work anyway, just gets in tehe way)

Just train and don't post on sherdogs to get your skills up

Hitting anything will do

Back