Standing up from Turtle

If you've seen it before marcelo made it popular, then maybe it didn't come from jiu jitsu. I think we are seeing techniques cross over more and more though. Kids who started with jiu jitsu and then wrestle I have noticed try to go to mount and pin from there, instead of more traditional pins. And I'm sure they would try to use that seatbelt position if they were riding legs, because everyone does that now in jiu jitsu. I'm sure college wrestling has evolved a huge amount in the past 20 years, as all sports do. Especially when you figure there was no internet in wide spread usage then. If your coach wasn't that knowledgable, it was hard to grow.

Yeah and some catch wrestling. Wade Schalles pinning tricks like stepping over to mount with a half are "regaining" popularity. Like the way Joseph Benevedez gets his feet underneath the opponents butt and guillotining the opponent, was taught to me by a coach who learned it from Wade Schalles in the 1990's. It's whatever, I am of the firm belief "grappling is grappling" hence why you'll see guys like Roger Gracie using that type of mount

Here's some really good turtle stuff from a wrestling/Catch wrestling perspective. It's for MMA, but I use a lot of this stuff in grappling because I like turtle and think it's a fun position to work from.

They deal with some tripod stuff mid video, also show a much more offense view of the tripod "escape".

[YT]Hkf3nFnL0q0[/YT]

I would only do a stand up if they had a ball and chain ride. The knee slide would open up more options if they don't have the ball and chain IMO.

I think it would be really hard to take the back and control it with hooks....would be easier off a leg ride.

That being said you should check out the billy wicks foundation. Totally blows my mind with the difference on catch wrestling and what i used to think catch wrestling was.

They covered the tripod stand up off a ball and chain ride a few weeks ago ;)

I would only do a stand up if they had a ball and chain ride. The knee slide would open up more options if they don't have the ball and chain IMO.

I think it would be really hard to take the back and control it with hooks....would be easier off a leg ride.

That being said you should check out the billy wicks foundation. Totally blows my mind with the difference on catch wrestling and what i used to think catch wrestling was.

They covered the tripod stand up off a ball and chain ride a few weeks ago ;)

What do you/they call a "ball and chain".... I thought I knew but I listened to an hour argument about what exactly it was at camp. So I was wondering what you call it so I can visualize it

What do you/they call a "ball and chain".... I thought I knew but I listened to an hour argument about what exactly it was at camp. So I was wondering what you call it so I can visualize it

Yea i've heard ball and chain used for other things....I always consider it this:

[YT]inEYufUCSyo[/YT]

when i read 'ball and chain' i just think of any time you are grabbing one of their arms from in between their legs.

If the guy is not putting his weight on your back as he should (or have leg hooking back mount) is easy to move. And if his arm is wrapping around too far to the other side he is vulnerable to counter armlock if you can rotate without him following and duck your head under his torso and out the other side (about 2:30). I get this all the time, just wrap around above his elbow and go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on3gh64A5v4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on3gh64A5v4

very cool. I agree, with the threat of getting backpacked, it think the best first step is to pin the hand to the ground before tripod'ing.

Also a good reminder why leg ride >>>>>>

I've always felt that BJJ would be a more effective art if there was an impetus to keep the guy down. One of our fighters with a wrestling background was just scrambling back to his feet against some of our guys every time he got swept, and I found myself explaining techniques to keep the guy down that I realized are really under-emphasized in BJJ. Maybe do -1 point for a guard pull, but award 1 point for an escape to the feet.

I've always felt that BJJ would be a more effective art if there was an impetus to keep the guy down. One of our fighters with a wrestling background was just scrambling back to his feet against some of our guys every time he got swept, and I found myself explaining techniques to keep the guy down that I realized are really under-emphasized in BJJ. Maybe do -1 point for a guard pull, but award 1 point for an escape to the feet.

+1 Good post.

Back