Star Trek: Discovery V4.0 (Premieres Sept. 24, 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The panel was alright. Some key points

-Anthony Rapps character is openly gay and he's very proud of that

- Sounds like all Kilingon conversation will be in Klingon and subtitled. Pretty cool, imo

-The best question from the audience was about how Star Trek is about friendships and relationships and how that will carry into discovery. The writers and actors all were steadfast in the show being all about characters and relationships. That's great, if accurate.

-Didn't know this but they'll release the first half the season in September and then the other half will be in January.

Last edited:
The panel was alright. Some key points

-Anthony Rapps character is openly gay and he's very proud of that

- Sounds like all Kilingon conversation will be in Klingon and subtitled. Pretty cool, imo

-The best question from the audience was about how Star Trek is about friendships and relationships and how that will carry into discovery. The writers and actors all were steadfast in the show being all about characters and relationships. That's great, if accurate.

-Didn't know this but they'll release the first half the season in September and then the other half will be in January.
Yeah quite a few of the fall premiere shows, now take a holiday break. Allows them more production time, and lets them bypass the holiday season, when ratings can be more unpredictable. But it is also a network TV thing, where Discovery really should be trying to emulate the netflix model, and release it all at once.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/07...trek-discovery-trailer-story-details-revealed

Lots of details for Discovery here....

The cast and crew of Star Trek Discovery arrived at San Diego Comic-Con today ready to boldly go (come on, I had to) as the long-awaited revival of Trek on TV’s debut approaches this fall.

Series stars Sonequa Martin-Green, Jason Isaacs, Doug Jones, Shazad Latif, Mary Wiseman, Anthony Rapp and James Frain, along with executive-producers Alex Kurtzman, Aaron Harberts, Gretchen J. Berg, Heather Kadin and Akiva Goldsman beamed in (yep, I did it again) to give fans their first in-depth look at the new CBS All Access show.

First up, a new Star Trek Discovery trailer was released, which you can check out right here.

Rainn Wilson moderated the panel, which was appropriate since he plays the classic Trek character Harry Mudd in the new show. One of the first questions for the group was how the show will balance the technology of our modern world with the more simplistic aesthetic of the original William Shatner/Leonard Nimoy series.

“We are all the biggest fans of The Original Series and we’re taking a tremendous amount of our inspiration from it,” said Kurtzman. “They’re are raging debates all day in the writers room about what’s canon [and what’s not]. But we also have to recognize that we now live in a world where if we give you a four-walled set, you would not be happy, especially as you have to pay for it. … It’s a little bit larger than The Original Series, but we are consistent [with that world].”

Martin-Green, who plays First Officer Michael Burnham, talked about her seven-year relationship working with Michelle Yeoh’s character, Captain Philippa Georgiou of the starship Shenzhou. “It’s a very close relationship. I graduated from the Vulcan Science Academy and went straight to the Shenzhou and she took me under her wing. And my surrogate dad, Sarek -- I was raised by him and Amanda on Vulcan after the death of my parents.”

At some point, Burnham leaves the Shenzhou for the Discovery apparently, though the producers are still keeping the circumstances of that change a mystery.

Frain spoke about playing Sarek, who of course is also a character from the classic show -- and Spock’s father. “It’s an exploration of who he was when he was younger. We know where he ends up. One of the things that was always fascinating was that he married a human. That’s Spock’s background. So that’s one of the things we’re unpeeling sort of with each episode. And he’s a mentor to [Burnham]. … He’s complex. Because the whole Vulcan ideal is something they evolved over centuries and the reality is they still have emotions and they have to cope with them, and that’s something Sarek has to cope with. Because he has a human child and a half human child, and this opens up a door in him that he didn’t think was there.”

Kurtzman is aware that this seeming break with Trek continuity might trouble some fans, but he says to hang tight. “Some brains may be exploding that Spock has a sister we never heard of, and I just want to say just be patient with us,” he said. “We’re aware. Just see where it’s going, but we are staying consistent with canon.”

Isaacs plays the captain of the Discovery, Gabriel Lorca, and he hinted at how his character differs from previous captains from the series.

“He’s probably more f#@ked up than any of them,” he said. “He’s a complicated guy; it’s a complicated story for our times.” He also said that Discovery is similar to the old show in that the team is attempting to reflect the real world issues of today with the series. “My character was born out of war, and it gives him a lot of sharp edges as well.”

The reaction in some circles to the casting on the show was also addressed. “Star Trek has always been about diversity and universality and unity,” said Martin-Green. “I truly believe it is one of the main reasons it is still important to so many people even today. And if you say you love the legacy of Star Trek, and you don’t love that, then you’ve missed that. And I encourage you to join us, come on the journey with us. Hopefully you’ll learn something about the people around you because that’s what our story does.”

The topic of the Klingons came up, the classic race who will play a major part in the new series. During this period of Star Trek history, Starfleet is at war with the bumpy-headed, honor-obsessed characters… though the producers of the show are reluctant to call them villains.

“Because of the story we’re telling about the Klingons in this season of Star Trek, it was very important for us to have them speak Klingon and there will be subtitles,” said Berg. “It was important to see the Klingons [as their own people]. It’s a very fascinating culture. … We [want to] deepen what was already [out there].”

Harberts spoke about balancing a war with the Klingons with the peaceful mission of Starfleet.

“That’s gonna take a lot of episodes,” he said. “That’s big. We’re having them come at each other. We’re trying to show how conflict is solved by peace. Sometimes we make the wrong decisions along the way … It’s been a very interesting challenge given where the Klingons and Starfleet wind up [in the future]. We really wanted to [add dimension to] the Klingons so they weren’t just the villains of the universe. We wanted to understand that there isn’t a right or wrong. … It often comes from fear.”

Also, the Klingon being spoken is in fact the “official” Klingon language that has existed here on planet Earth for decades now.

Doug Jones, who has played so many memorable genre characters over the years, talked about his role as Lt. Saru, who is a member of the alien Kelpian race.

“As a Kelpian, what you have not seen yet is my footwear,” he laughed. “My feet are hooves, so I’m the tallest character on the show, balancing on my balls of my feet.” The actor then demonstrated his Saru walk to lots of laughs from the audience, since it’s somewhere between a fashion catwalk stride and an ostrich’s prance.

The first season of the show will definitely be one 15-episode arc that tells a complete story. Kadin said that in taking that approach, the producers are aiming for a fuller emotional story as well.

Rapp confirmed that his character, Lt. Paul Stamets, will be in a relationship with another man on the show. “Wilson Cruz will be playing my love interest, my partner -- my man love -- and we’re both officers on the ship,” he said. “My character is the first openly gay character on the TV [incarnation] of Star Trek. And I’m very proud of that. And he’s a scientist!” Also, he’s really good at that old Star Trek staple -- technobabble. (He read some off for the crowd today, but it would be impossible to transcribe it with any accuracy here. Sorry!)

From the sound of it, the cast and crew are really aiming to make this an entry in the Star Trek canon that is truly worthy of the name.

“It’s full of nothing but characters,” said Isaacs. “It’s true we have these amazing special effects and sets, but what happens between the humans and the aliens is where the true drama is.”

Added Wilson: “This is not a show where they’re playing it safe in any way, shape or form. They are going for it … in a way that I have never seen in any Trek iteration yet.”

Star Trek Discovery will debut on September 24 on CBS, with the rest of the season running on CBS All Access in the U.S. and on Netflix in most international territories.

Some bullet points

• Burnham is raised by Sarek and Amanda Grayson(Spocks Parents) after her parents are killed
  • Burnham has spent 7 years on the USS Shen Zhou, under captain Philippa Georgiou
  • Jason Issacs, will play Gabriel Lorca, the Captain of the USS Discovery, who in his words “He’s probably more f#@ked up than any of them,” when talking about previous star trek captains.
  • The Klingons who are the focus of Season 1, are not necessarily Villains.
  • LT.Cdmr Suru, a Kelpian, is a hooved species, that is a prey species on his home planet.

Wtf?

What was wrong with all good things...?
It was just disappointing. And it is 't necessarily the fault of the episode alone. It has a lot to do with the fact that Q was the only plot thread running through the entire series. Everything else was just a stand-alone episode. So that makes it hard to wrap everything up in a satisfying conclusion. And believe me, I love Star Trek TNG.
Over 20 years ago, I thought All Good Things was one of the best episodes of TNG ever made. I just watched it again on Hulu to see if it still measures up. I still liked it quite a bit. Of course, nostalgia is part of the appeal. I miss those days of Star Trek. This new shit looks like it's going to suck.

Over 20 years ago, I thought All Good Things was one of the best episodes of TNG ever made. I just watched it again on Hulu to see if it still measures up. I still liked it quite a bit. Of course, nostalgia is part of the appeal. I miss those days of Star Trek. This new shit looks like it's going to suck.
Yeah, I just don't have faith that they can do it right unless they use the same writers from TNG and DS9. The fucking writers these days will likely just make it all about cool gadgets and weapons and have no real moral dilemma or interesting concepts. I'm hoping I am wrong.

Shows back then, especially tng didn't
rely on explosions and lens flares.

Tng is on Netflix so I'm going to rewatch all good things and I hope it still holds up.

Last edited:
Been shitting on this for a while now and well, the new trailer was quite a bit better look. There's still plenty I don't like about it, mainly these "Klingons", but I'm really interested in Isaacs character and whatever crusade he's on. Hoping Doug Jones shines in his role. WHERE IS JEFFREY COMBS????????

I'm down with a darker toned Trek, there's just so much other bullshit going on here too. Like this girl being raised by Spock's parents.... Was something like this every mentioned in the previous Treks?

Have a really bad feeling those behind the show are going to be pushing agendas hard in this show. They've already been hitting us over the head with how "diverse" the cast and crew will be.. No shit, it's Star Trek, diversity goes without saying.

Hopefully Rapp's character isn't going to be some sort of token character or quota check.. Less "the gay engineer" and more "the engineer that's made up of all sorts of characteristis one of which happens to be he's gay". Don't know how that's coming across online but I just hate shit that brags or throws whatever character in your face. Just let it fucking happen.

I'm down with a darker toned Trek, there's just so much other bullshit going on here too. Like this girl being raised by Spock's parents.... Was something like this every mentioned in the previous Treks?

I also have no propblem with a darker Trek,
as long as they don't go full Stargate Universe on us.
That was terrible, although the story of Destiny was
a good idea.

OK just rewatch ed all good things...maybe I'm bias from nostalgia, but she hit me right in the feels. I miss this star trek.

OK just rewatch ed all good things...maybe I'm bias from nostalgia, but she hit me right in the feels. I miss this star trek.
Yep. Made me feel all kinds of nostalgia. Makes me hate this new Trek even more. I actually watched the very first episode "Encounter at Farpoint" last night, and then watched "All Good Things" this morning. They are better back-to-back.

Yep. Made me feel all kinds of nostalgia. Makes me hate this new Trek even more. I actually watched the very first episode "Encounter at Farpoint" last night, and then watched "All Good Things" this morning. They are better back-to-back.

So to split hairs here, Q states that Picard is the reason for the destruction for humanity, but you could argue that it was Data instead...as it was his future self that came to the idea to reverse the tachyon particles in the scan on the main deflector dish which when converged with two other scans from two other time periods, created the anomaly. I LOVED the concept of "anti time" as I'm sure it was an actual scientific theory around the time the script was written as TNG loved to reference scientific theories within their shows.

And the only thing I thought looked silly was the third nacel on the future enterprise d. It made zero sense and looked like a quick way to visually say "hey this version of the enterprise is upgraded from the one in the present"

So to split hairs here, Q states that Picard is the reason for the destruction for humanity, but you could argue that it was Data instead...as it was his future self that came to the idea to reverse the tachyon particles in the scan on the main deflector dish which when converged with two other scans from two other time periods, created the anomaly.
I would argue that it was the Continuum that was wholly responsible (which Q admitted at the end). Picard would not have sought out Data's help in the first place if the Continuum had not been shuffling Picard through time.

I LOVED the concept of "anti time" as I'm sure it was an actual scientific theory around the time the script was written as TNG loved to reference scientific theories within their shows.

I thought the same thing, but a google search will reveal that it was purely fictional.

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/89463/what-is-anti-time

Really, a brilliant concept for the show considering it was entirely made up.

And the only thing I thought looked silly was the third nacel on the future enterprise d. It made zero sense and looked like a quick way to visually say "hey this version of the enterprise is upgraded from the one in the present"

I agree. That was a cheesy gimmick.

All things considered, it was a great episode though.

I would argue that it was the Continuum that was wholly responsible (which Q admitted at the end). Picard would not have sought out Data's help in the first place if the Continuum had not been shuffling Picard through time.

I thought the same thing, but a google search will reveal that it was purely fictional.

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/89463/what-is-anti-time

Really, a brilliant concept for the show considering it was entirely made up.

I agree. That was a cheesy gimmick.

All things considered, it was a great episode though.

Yeah that bit at the end had me confused where q states he was responsible for picards time shifts as a means to help picard. And he was ordered to do so by the continuum because he was partly responsible for the annihilation of all human life.

But that makes no sense because he only time shifts picard because humans are going to be annihilated but they wouldnt be annihilated if picard wasnt time shifted...

Its like a chicken and the egg thing here.

Keep in mind, Brannon Braga and Ron Moore, spent almost a year working on the script to "generations", and then were asked to write "all good things" and wrote it in a few days. What would've made the better movie...

Keep in mind, Brannon Braga and Ron Moore, spent almost a year working on the script to "generations", and then were asked to write "all good things" and wrote it in a few days. What would've made the better movie...

"All Good Things" was definitely a better story. The problem is that it didn't incorporate the TOS cast like Generations did. They wanted a "hand-off." I definitely wish they had done a better job with Generations though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back