Locked STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI v.2 (First Critics Reviews Are Here; George Lucas' Reaction)

What did you think of the latest trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Update: September 9, 2017

Rumored Details on Why Director Colin Trevorrow Was Fired from STAR WARS: EPISODE IX

zerhgdd.jpg

According to a ranking Hollywood movie insider with direct knowledge of the productions on both The Book of Henry and Jurassic World (and who requested anonymity out of concern for sensitive ongoing business relationships), Colin Trevorrow’s firing from Star Wars: Episode IX may have come more directly as a consequence of being “difficult.”

“During the making of Jurassic World, he focused a great deal of his creative energies on asserting his opinion,” the executive explains. “But because he had been personally hired by Spielberg, nobody could say, ‘You’re fired.’ Once that film went through the roof and he chose to do Henry, [Trevorrow] was unbearable. He had an egotistical point of view— and he was always asserting that.”

Then, during preproduction on Episode IX, Trevorrow’s relationship with Lucasfilm top brass became reportedly "unmanageable" over the course of “repeated stabs at multiple drafts” of the script.

“When the reviews for Book of Henry came out, there was immediately conjecture that Kathy was going to dump him because they weren’t thrilled with working with him anyway,” the executive continues. “He’s a difficult guy. He’s really, really, really confident. Let’s call it that.”

Kathy, of course, is eight-time Academy Award–nominated Lucasfilm president/Star Wars brand manager Kathleen Kennedy, who found herself beneath the red-hot scrutiny of Movie Twitter in June after firing co-directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller from the Han Solo spinoff prequel. And in terms of that surfeit of self-belief, Trevorrow admitted to as much in an interview with Esquire in 2015. “Directors require a level of confidence that can border on the delusional,” Trevorrow said. “You have to push it right up to the edge of arrogance, but never cross the line.”

The decision to bounce him from the project ultimately fell to Kennedy, who, five years into her Lucasfilm tenure, is showing less and less compunction about firing or replacing directors she feels are temperamentally or creatively unsuited to the job, having also overseen the resignation of Fantastic Four director Josh Trank from another stand-alone Star Wars film in 2015.

“There’s one gatekeeper when it comes to Star Wars and it’s Kathleen Kennedy,” says a veteran movie producer, who has worked with the studio chief. “If you rub Kathleen Kennedy the wrong way — in any way — you’re out. You’re done. A lot of these young, new directors want to come in and say, ‘I want to do this. I want to do that.’ A lot of these guys — Lord and Miller, Colin Trevorrow — got very rich, very fast and believed a lot of their own hype. And they don’t want to play by the rules. They want to do shit differently. And Kathleen Kennedy isn’t going to fuck around with that.”

Colin Trevorrow’s Firing From Star Wars Is Another Reminder That No Director Will Ever Be Bigger Than the Franchise

Well he does have a smugly look to him...

And fuck me Kathleen Kennedy is someones ass you should always be kissing. You get on her good side and at the same time do good work; you're going to go really far in Hollywood.

i'm 50-50 on this directors should have some control. But i'm also not a big fan of Trevorrow's work.

They have but also you need to play ball with the studio and their team this ain't the time to be a cowboy.. all the good ones knew how to work in a team and still shine with their own mark on it.. yea I know studios are the devil and all that but you still need to work with them.

They've had to fire 4 directors? That seems a bit much. Are they just bad at hiring directors or do things really devolve that quickly? Don't have a lot of confidence in the Han Solo project, which i had pretty high hopes for.

They've had to fire 4 directors? That seems a bit much. Are they just bad at hiring directors or do things really devolve that quickly? Don't have a lot of confidence in the Han Solo project, which i had pretty high hopes for.

Sounds like they're bad at communicating to directors what they want.

Jurassic world sucked. So she did what was best for Star Wars.

I wonder if this will be an improvement, if it will end up just another Nostalgia fest and forced connections and plot concept I may start losing interest in future starwars films.

Kathy Kennedy is a retarded cunt who wants to make Star Wars more SJW friendly.

Never seen Trevorrows work. Can't say anything for him but Kathleen Kennedy sounds like a control freak and a yuge cunt.

Haha I stumbled across this 'hate' video for Star Wars. :D

I clicked it for fun and I'm like half way into it.. just messing around, this dude sure nit picks everything and sure didn't like the movie.

Have you seen this or have any interest in having fun with the hater videos at @EvilDDS ?

Haha I stumbled across this 'hate' video for Star Wars. :D

I clicked it for fun and I'm like half way into it.. just messing around, this dude sure nit picks everything and sure didn't like the movie.

Have you seen this or have any interest in having fun with the hater videos at @EvilDDS ?

Ha, no had not seen this before, guy definitely put a lot of time into it

Ha, no had not seen this before, guy definitely put a lot of time into it

He seems to have done it right after too (2-3 weeks after the movie came out) he is using pirated video.. he was mad. :D

was concerned
as hated Jurassic World
(minus chris pratt and vincent d'onofrio)
glad he's gone
(was a poor choice to start with)

So rumors of Colin Trevorrow being very cocky and difficult to work with going into the big Star Wars Ep. 9 movie.

Success of 2015’s Jurassic World seemed to have gone to Trevorrow’s head.. his way is the correct one because he shattered records with the movie that made 1.67 $ billions and re-energized the old franchise.

“During the making of Jurassic World, he focused a great deal of his creative energies on asserting his opinion. But because he had been personally hired by Spielberg, nobody could say, ‘You’re fired.’ Once that film went through the roof and he chose to do Henry, [Trevorrow] was unbearable. He had an egotistical point of view— and he was always asserting that. When the reviews for Book of Henry came out, there was immediately conjecture that Kathy was going to dump him because they weren’t thrilled with working with him anyway. He’s a difficult guy. He’s really, really, really confident. Let’s call it that.”

Star-Wars-Colin-Trevorrow-Episode-IX-Director.jpg

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-9-director-reportedly-fired-for-being-difficult/

I blame this spawn on the millions of assholes who gave jurassic world both their money and their thumbs up. That movie was bad. Like HOLY SHIT bad. And it baffles me that it did so well. It had a raptor fight off the back of t - rex for christ sakes.

It's like Conor fans. The general public latch on to shit with no substance to it. And because of that steam pile seeing success, you have shit bags like this guy thinking his idiocy is the right way to do things. When it's so fucking far off the mark it makes North Korea's ballistic missiles seem accurate.

I guess in the end this shit bag was outed as the hack he is, but how he got the job in the first place is anybody's guess.

For fuck sakes spielberg. You knew better than that.

I blame this spawn on the millions of assholes who gave jurassic world both their money and their thumbs up. That movie was bad. Like HOLY SHIT bad. And it baffles me that it did so well. It had a raptor fight off the back of t - rex for christ sakes.

It's like Conor fans. The general public latch on to shit with no substance to it. And because of that steam pile seeing success, you have shit bags like this guy thinking his idiocy is the right way to do things. When it's so fucking far off the mark it makes North Korea's ballistic missiles seem accurate.

I guess in the end this shit bag was outed as the hack he is, but how he got the job in the first place is anybody's guess.

For fuck sakes spielberg. You knew better than that.

I'm not a big fan of the Jurassic universe, well like anyone out there I was impressed and really liked the first one in the early 90's that one was special indeed the effects and the scale of things it had that magic then with each one they lowered the quality.

In reality first masterpiece (if we think at all the aspects), then second good-ish I guess lucky with some charismatic actors, then third medium-ish at best I guess but just a medium for most and bad for others movie is considered a flop for a Jurassic film I would imagine but then the 4th was even lower quality then that in my opinion yea it was shiny and new but I really consider it weaker then the failure 3rd one.

Imagine if they had another actors instead of Chris Pratt he was the right dude to elevate this movie.. but it lacked on so many fronts.. yet people liked it and are hyped for part 2 and boy o boy did they exceed their expectation it made huge bank they have enough to make more of this movies now.. even if one of them really flops at the box office.

tumblr_npzzl898Zd1rxx8syo1_500.gif

From my understanding Spielberg has a bunch of guys he has "mentored" his younger batch of directors like JJ Abrams and Colin Trevrrow so they are mixed in this high circles and rub shoulders with many studio heads.. just a a few movies (I suspect someone like Colin also gets smaller checks) and they managed to land on huge blockbusters like Jurassic and Star Wars at least JJ proved it before, he may not be the most original but he can make a movie and proved it more then once.

I'm telling you things will be awkward as heck at the next private party with Spielberg and Kathleen Kennedy (her husband is also in the same circles he even produced Jurassic World).. hell Colin could very well be around there too. :D

Screw it I'm happy his out, let's see if they keep Rian Johnson or find a new one to direct ep 9.

Update: September 11, 2017

Joseph Gordon-Levitt Has a Cameo in STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI

adufxS3.jpg

Writer-director Rian Johnson and actor Joseph Gordon-Levitt have collaborated on every one of Johnson’s three feature films thus far, so it’s not much of a surprise to hear that Gordon-Levitt is heading to a galaxy far, far away for a small part in Johnson’s biggest movie to date, Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

During a Japanese press tour for The Last Jedi (the same one in which he took himself out of the running to direct Episode IX - for now), Johnson revealed that Gordon-Levitt will be providing a voice in his sci-fi sequel:

“You know what I can tell you is that my – and we haven’t said this yet, but I think this is OK to say – is that my very good friend, the actor Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who was in a movie I made called Looper, he does a cameo as a voice of an alien in the film. It’s a very brief little thing, but it’s fun, and if you watch the movie, maybe you’ll be able to hear and pick out Joe’s voice in the movie. That’s the first time I’m revealing that.”

But Gordon-Levitt isn’t the only Johnson collaborator getting a cameo in The Last Jedi. Actor Noah Segan, who played Dode in 2005 noir mystery Brick and Kid Blue in the 2012 time travel thriller Looper – both of which were directed by Rian Johnson and starred Gordon-Levitt – is also rumored to pop up in the new Star Wars movie.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt Has a Cameo in ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’

Got no problem with little cameos from production crew's friends and celebrities.. if they aren't too intrusive fine by me.

This dude will always be the guy from: '3rd Rock from the Sun' too me.. :D

Last edited:
JGL is terrible

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: September 12, 2017

J.J. Abrams Returning to Write and Direct STAR WARS: EPISODE IX

DlY4Wzy.jpg

J.J. Abrams is returning to a galaxy far, far away. The Force Awakens director will step in to direct Star Wars: Episode IX after the exit of former director, Colin Trevorrow.

“With The Force Awakens, J.J. delivered everything we could have possibly hoped for, and I am so excited that he is coming back to close out this trilogy,” said Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy in a statement.

Trevorrow left the project earlier this month. Abrams will co-write the film with Chris Terrio.

According to sources, Trevorrow exited the project after issues with the script persisted throughout development, with the director taking multiple stabs at different drafts. Eventually, he and Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy's working relationship had become unmanageable.

Jack Thorne, the British scribe who wrote the upcoming Julia Roberts-Jacob Tremblay movie Wonder, was tapped to work on the script for the movie, which is the supposed end to the Skywalker Saga.

In their Sept. 5 statement, Lucasfilm and Disney said, "Lucasfilm and Colin Trevorrow have mutually chosen to part ways on Star Wars: Episode IX. Colin has been a wonderful collaborator throughout the development process, but we have all come to the conclusion that our visions for the project differ. We wish Colin the best and will be sharing more information about the film soon."

This move marks the third time a director has been replaced on a Star Wars project. Phil Lord and Chris Miller were taken off the Han Solo standalone with only a few weeks left in production, and later replace with Ron Howard. Gareth Edwards handled all of the principal photography on 2016's Rogue One, but the movie's extensive reshoots were helmed by seasoned director Tony Gilroy.

Disney made a slew of changes to its upcoming calendar on Tuesday, including pushing back the release of Star Wars: Episode IX by seven months.Episode IX will now open in theaters Dec. 20, 2019, instead of May 24, 2019.

J.J. Abrams to Replace Colin Trevorrow as ‘Star Wars: Episode IX’ Writer and Director

Has anyone seen this potential 'spoiler' video from this youtube channel? I hesitantly watched it but I'm not upset I did. It's not confirmed, just possible.
If it's true, however, holy moly that's pretty damn cool. I'll add the video in the spoiler below, if you enjoyed it also check out his other following videos.

Update: September 21, 2017

Rian Johnson Finishes Post-Production on STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI

10 minutes later, he was fired by Kathleen Kennedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back