STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI

If you have seen STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
In China STAR WARS is called THE LAST N_______A ON EARTH Saga.

He should have died in RoTJ to give that story some weight.

Correction: He should have stayed dead from EMPIRE.

As for the rest of what you said holy shit I hope you have a blankie for all that.

As for the rest of what you said holy shit I hope you have a blankie for all that.

If you didn't understand my underlining point that you spend 6 movies to build up characters with arcs and set up a world and conquer the bad guy...only to hard reset back to square one for no other reason than time...

I don't know how else to drive that home to someone who claims to be a "movie buff". Maybe sock puppets?

latest

You just don't do that. You need to explain how the fuck we got back to episode 1 again. And you can't just say "well time...duh!"

And I was fine with Han dying in either Empire or Return. But the latest being Return. He shouldn't have made it to the happy ever after was the main fucking point.

And you can't just say "well time...duh!"
I agree with that, but the problems you presented with the reset are not TLJ problems, are we in agreement there? That it was TFA that put all those balls in motion? The Solo split, the miraculous recovery of the Empire, Luke, everything you said. Those are TFA problems, which I contend TLJ endeavored to honor and solve? We don't need to rehash whether it succeeded or not.

Or how about this? We can agree that fast-tracking this new trilogy was hasty and ill-planned?

I can see you're coming from long years of disappointment on this one, all the way to THE PHANTOM MENACE.

But I swear to you you are killing Independent George Bawdy George I Love That George (Me Too) on this one.

Listen. I know STAR WARS is not without flaw, and there are some questionable decisions being explored. No doubt about that. And yes to some people these flaws are deadly egregious. I am not resistant to any of these layers. Not the least of all why: you gentlemen are so kind enough to remind me. And with such vigor and odor. Ardor? Ordure? ....Mordor?

In any order, I don't know if you caught my snippet of conversation with @chickenluver about sequels needing to tread familiar ground, yeah no? Abrams and whomever, were like you. Hated the Prequels. Or rather, they paid attention to the negative feedback, no doubt watching RLM videos like awesome Sherdoggers. Here's where the rubber meets the road: one of the ultimate lessons of the Shitquels as you call them is making the filmmakers think we don't need any further explanation for this:
star-wars-opening-main.jpg

Than this:

Meaning: we don't need to explain why the big guy is chasing the little guy, nor who they even are to themselves. The Prequels' adherence to continuity created this "reset."

A lot of people take the stance that TFA rehashed ANH, but I would say it's closer to a rehash of the entire trilogy. From here, I'm trying to sell you on the idea of the nature of a transitional trilogy.

Well, that was my sell right there, you can either accept this being a transitional trilogy as significant or not.

What I'm saying is that TLJ does not take the easy approach of simply saying duh time, but rather charges every character with dynamic motivation. It does explain why shit has hit the fan in just twenty, thirty years -- and I don't think these elements are shoehorned in. I think certain things are revealed at dramatically important moments, other things provided some valuable storypoints to the current narrative.

The current narrative, which is passing the torch from the old to the new. We knew these characters were going to fade out, we're just not in agreement whether their swan songs are any good.

But you know what I honestly think you can look forward to in the next one? A bunch of lightsaber fights you probably felt were missing from this one. I also expect less Rose (she simply is not testing well), or at least a better-utilized Rose. And definitely no mo' Leia soaring through space on some Can You Read My Mind, Margot Kidder? bullshit.

Another thing you can look forward to, even though no one's believe me yet: you can look forward to TLJ getting better. I can't say the same for any of the others that you didn't like, but I can about TLJ.

(And to some degree ROGUE ONE, although I can see people being right for disliking that one. Talk about agenda! It was Team Ethnic all the way through that sumbitch amiraiiii?

(White leader still, tho, the way it should be. Even if they had to undercut the Whiteness by making it a woman. Can't be too OP, after all. Gotta keep things realistic. Luckily though EN VOGUE [SJW cause] ONE redeemed itself by restoring the status quo at the end in which we learn, yes swarthy people and women deserve to die on an exploding world they more than likely created ha ha lol burn fuckers welcome to Jamaica, mon, bloodfire.)

We talking about Han?

I heard he was originally supposed to die in Return of the Jedi, but after they recuse him from Jabba. I might be wrong about that last part. I'm ok with Han dying in Return but to save him from Jabba only to have him die later in the same movie seems silly. Killing him at the end of Empire would have worked. There was no reason Jabba needed Han alive except they wanted to keep Han around for the next film. Having the recuse attempt in Return fail leading to Han's death could have worked too.

We talking about Han?

I heard he was originally supposed to die in Return of the Jedi, but after they recuse him from Jabba. I might be wrong about that last part. I'm ok with Han dying in Return but to save him from Jabba only to have him die later in the same movie seems silly. Killing him at the end of Empire would have worked. There was no reason Jabba needed Han alive except they wanted to keep Han around for the next film. Having the recuse attempt in Return fail leading to Han's death could have worked too.
In my mind, Han was supposed to die in carbonite. Bad ass line on the way out. Harrison came up with it. No intention of returning.

But then the money.

In my mind, Han was supposed to die in carbonite. Bad ass line on the way out. Harrison came up with it. No intention of returning.

But then the money.
I had forgotten that they made it seem like the carbon freezing might kill him. That would have been a good exit for the character.

we finally saw it yesterday.

i thought it was ok 5/10.

didn't have the heart that rogue one had imo. It also felt drawn out at times.

You fucking momos saying Han should've died in Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi ...

If the prequels and The Last Jedi haven't taught you these movies are shit without a cynical, cantakerous insult-machine like Han Solo around there's no hope for your pitiful asses.

You fucking momos saying Han should've died in Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi ...

If the prequels and The Last Jedi haven't taught you these movies are shit without a cynical, cantakerous insult-machine like Han Solo around there's no hope for your pitiful asses.
Why would Han dying in Return be a problem? It was the last movie in that series. Him dying towards the end of that film would have been much better than resetting him back to square 1 and killing him in Force Awakens.

Why would Han dying in Return be a problem? It was the last movie in that series. Him dying towards the end of that film would have been much better than resetting him back to square 1 and killing him in Force Awakens.

Can't lie, you have a point.

God The Force Awakens is a steaming pile of re-heated shite.

Han Solo is essentially a terrific RPG party character member. In the OT Leia, Luke, and Han would be the main party. Leia is attached to the main story and Luke has his own sub-story like Han. R2D2, C3P0, and Chewbacca are also in all 3 movies but are subservient to those 3. And then you have Obi Wan and Lando who are in less than 3 movies but can be considered party members and they have their own stories that interact with the main 3. Yoda and Wedge Antilles are guest characters. For 6 hours they do a good job.

The new trilogy fails in making terrific RPG party members. Rey has a story that is pretty Luke-esque and I would say Kylo also has a very good story. But Poe is a dummy, Finn is just around, and Rose is also just around. Finn has a potentially interesting back story but at this point they all just function as resistance agents. Poe and Rose could be the same character. Finn clashes with Phasma but that's because the resistance keeps sending him to where Phasma is, there's nothing really compelling about their encounters.
IMO they're wasting Finn and some potential.

Without doing a full review, i'll just say i'm sorely dissapointed. My biggest critique goes to the unnecessary and over the top "comedic" moments that ruin any immersion i could've had (if the story was interesting, inspiring or compelling) in the movie.

I did like a few things, on par with the thoughts by @Dragonlordxxxxx, but those are easily outnumbered by the sheer number of stuff that bore/grossed me out or I thought of as unnecessary in the story (mostly the fuzzy disgusting looking ewok clones that can do and do absolutely nothing, the out of freakin' nowhere love story, the Poe stuff, the not telling the plan, etc). I did not find myself caring for anyone but Luke, whose actions are confusing at least. Also, is it just me or Rey looks completely different than in the Ep 7 (her face is a bit chubbier/rounded)? I know, foolish thing to be focused on, but as there is no time delay between EP 7 and Ep 8, i couldn't help but wonder.

6/10, and i'm being absurdly generous here (mostly because of the visuals, the red guards scene and the Rey parents thing, which I thought was refreshing).

If anyone can stand another break down of TLJ and flaws in the trilogy overall, this guy does an excellent job.

If I've taken anything away from the TLJ over the last few weeks, it's that audiences are constantly having to explain Rian's plot holes for him. That's the biggest crime of any story and they are generally slammed for it.

This is an excellent video on storytelling and the overuse of untimely jokes in so many modern superhero films. It's very relevant to TLJ IMO, as I don't believe that Rian believed in his script. TLJ is very set piece oriented over anything, a fun but hollow experience.

As someone said in the comments; his line "If your story is sincere enough, nothing is 'cheesy'", it's beautiful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back