Locked STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER v.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've just woken up to the news that out of all the live action movies in the Star Wars saga, The Rise of Skywalker has gotten the second worst Rotten Tomatoes score, above only The Phantom Menace. Right now, an ebola diagnosis would make me less depressed.

Rogue one is the only new movie that felt like star wars to me. Edwards seems like the only one that knew wtf he was doing and understood the world he was working in. He at the very least best captured the esthetic and feel of the ot. Even though it's far from perect, it's the only one I can watch again.

Rogue one is the only new movie that felt like star wars to me. Edwards seems like the only one that knew wtf he was doing and understood the world he was working in. He at the very least best captured the esthetic and feel of the ot. Even though it's far from perect, it's the only one I can watch again.

Agreed. I hate prequels on top of that. I didn't really care to see Rogue one at all you pretty much know the story already. I went to the movies cause we had nothing else to do and I loved it.

100%

I survived the prequel trilogy. I’m in this to the end. Pray for me.

Sort of feel sorry for @Myrddin Wild..

His days spent defending the trilogy, with page long theses, only for the last film to be universally derided by critics ( and likely fans) alike.

<Prem974>

Rian I think understood that one of the strengths of the original movies is that they were very theme forward
The characters in the original trilogies are well loved and memorable, but they're all archetypal and each represent something and Lucas uses those themes to tell his story. One of the reasons the film is timeless is because even though its not the deepest story in the world, everything works together. I mean even the prequels, which are not good movies at least work and at some point embrace campyness and never let it get in the way of a good story.

I feel like the reason why critics liked TLJ more than TFA, because there was nothing thematically interesting about TFA - TFA is just a wild messy nostalgic joy ride. The characters barely even matter in TFA, the plot is just a bunch of mystery boxes, and there is no resolution in the movie. TFA isn't even a cohesive narrative, it can barely even be judged as its own movie. I mean fuck off with your map to the treasure storyline. But you're right, JJ at least had an idea of an actual story with actual payoff over three movies which is an important part.

But TLJ while it tries to do something interesting in its storytelling, it fails because it doesn't actually develop any of the characters
And they all are given one issue to sort through, and the sort through it... and there is no payoff, none of them change as a result because none of them had any depth to begin with. And it never really commits to anything, so the ideas feel half cocked. And the themes are super shallow and preachy, which makes my early statement about why critics liked it more feel like a super charitable interpretation of actual shilling. The only characters that comes close to depth is Kylo, the rest of them could be replaced with virtually any other type of character and nothing changes about the movies. And like you alluded to, the story itself never goes anywhere - it ends pretty much where it began except with less players. So there was almost no point to it. Also none of the characters choices ever feel like they mean anything, because stuff just happens to them anyway - but I could levy that criticism against TFA also.

I can't actually decide which movie is worse, because they're so different and disconnected and they both suck so hard in different ways. But I certainly had more fun watching TFA.

If the ROS is at least somewhat like TFA in tone and execution it'll probably end up being a fun movie, but I can't imagine it being memorable or long lasting.

I strongly suspect that TLJ going nowhere plot wise was forced on Johnson, that Abrams(who is exec producer) or someone else basically demanded that he left a blank slate at the end rather than committing to his own story enough that it would need to be followed on in the final film.

Sort of feel sorry for @Myrddin Wild..

His days spent defending the trilogy, with page long theses, only for the last film to be universally derided by critics ( and likely fans) alike.

<Prem974>
I have never defended Star Wars.

I've told you guys this a thousand times, that I just speak my mind. It only seems like I'm defending it because I actually & honestly have no problem with it while the resistance is so over the top exaggerating their pov. So it may come off as "defending" when I call them out on their exaggerations but it is just me speaking my pov.

Anywayz... I'm on a mission to avoid spoilers & there are a few of them out there, so I'm avoiding Stardog threadz & youtube until tomorrow night minimum. I'll probably stay out of these threads for a while after seeing the movie as well so as not to be exposed too soon to the hypercritics who are addicted to spitting venom about beautiful things & just want to watch the world burn.

I've told you guys this a thousand times, that I just speak my mind. It only seems like I'm defending it because I actually & honestly have no problem with it while the resistance is so over the top exaggerating their pov. So it may come off as "defending" when I call them out on their exaggerations but it is just me speaking my pov.

Anywayz... I'm on a mission to avoid spoilers & there are a few of them out there, so I'm avoiding Stardog threadz & youtube until tomorrow night minimum. I'll probably stay out of these threads for a while after seeing the movie as well so as not to be exposed too soon to the hypercritics who are addicted to spitting venom about beautiful things & just want to watch the world burn.
such a defense wow

I strongly suspect that TLJ going nowhere plot wise was forced on Johnson, that Abrams(who is exec producer) or someone else basically demanded that he left a blank slate at the end rather than committing to his own story enough that it would need to be followed on in the final film.
There's a lot of that movie that smacks of this, so I fully buy that this happened

How do you even know this is going to be a "beautiful thing"? You do realize in real life some things just suck. Not everything labeled "Star Wars" is good.

TLJ got 91% on rotten, and 85 on metacritic..

<JerryWWF>

Have the critic's finally woken up to the dumpster fire.
"Critics liked a movie I didn't like. They need to wake up."

"People disliked a movie I liked. They need to admit they liked it much better than they claim."

jesus fucking christ...

I can't help myself
My local theatre still has tickets available for the 6:00 pm showing tomorrow
gonna just watch it after work

giphy.gif

How do you even know this is going to be a "beautiful thing"? You do realize in real life some things just suck. Not everything labeled "Star Wars" is good.
I've seen a considerable amount of content in the trailers & so my position is not unfounded. To your point though, I am subject to not like it... especially if their explanation on how Palps is back falls short... However, my point was obviouisly that "if" it is a beautiful thing... I might delay being exposed to this kind of nonsensical conversation for a few dayz just so I can have a more personal experience & enjoy it before being exposed to those who just want to watch the world burn & destroy beautiful things.
such a defense wow
4IWGWCB.gif

"Critics liked a movie I didn't like. They need to wake up."

"People disliked a movie I liked. They need to admit they liked it much better than they claim."

jesus fucking christ...
People misquoting me like this is the very nonsense I'm talking about.

Do you deny that the resistance exaggerates their pov? That is all I was saying. That's rhetorical. This has been covered a million times in these threads. The answer is that yes you do. I don't doubt you all don't like it... but there's also no doubt you go to extreme levels of dissing it for sport.

Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes gave the film a score of 58%, based on 135 reviews, with an average score of 6.41/10. The website's critics consensus reads, "Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker suffers from a frustrating lack of imagination, but concludes this beloved saga with fan-focused devotion."[103]

Wait hold on here you whiny fucks.

If the mainstream critics hate it.......I think I will probably like it.

Pretty sure there was no tactical reason whatsoever.

They were there so you would be reminded of Empire and think it was snow on the ground, before that one dude licked the ground to tell the audience it was salt.

Gotcha!

Subverted bitches.

Wouldn't an entire planet of salt be insanely valuable and probably pretty famous?

The US alone makes about $1.6B a year from salt. Worldwide it's like a $3B/year industry. Extrapolate that for the entire galaxy of hundred of habitated planets and you're looking at like at least a $600B/industry.

Now factor in a planet where you don't have to dig to mine the salt and instead just scrape it off the ground...

Wouldn't an entire planet of salt be insanely valuable and probably pretty famous?

The US alone makes about $1.6B a year from salt. Worldwide it's like a $3B/year industry. Extrapolate that for the entire galaxy of hundred of habitated planets and you're looking at like at least a $600B/industry.

Now factor in a planet where you don't have to dig to mine the salt and instead just scrape it off the ground...

Shhhh... Don't tell the military industrial complex guys in Canto Bight or else they'll start exploiting the crystal dogs and salt kids to keep the war going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicenhot
Back