Start the New Year Right. Read "Getting Things Done"

Pure Peace

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
my little holiday gift to Sherdog

pick up a copy of "Getting Things Done" by David Allen

this is not your stereotypical "self-help" book with mantras, outrageous stories of success, money making motives, etc...

this easy to read book teaches you a very simple and practical method of time/task management that you can incorporate into your personal and professional lives that will surely improve the quality of your life, stress/time management if you put it to use and make it a habit

in brief, the GTD method involves taking all the "Data" and clutter out of your brain and putting them into a, external system (outlook calendars, checklists, email, notebooks, physical folders, and more discussed in the book) which you have easy access to and regularly check/update. This relieves your brain from having to store and remember so many things, thereby decreasing stress and allowing for a more efficient and manageable way to accomplish your work/tasks.

i recommend spending a couple days reading the entire book and then dedicating at least 1 whole day (where you have zero distractions) to do your initial "5 steps" (explained in detail in the book) to get you started on the system by New Year

the crux of GTD method is in this link...discussing the "5 steps".
http://gettingthingsdone.com/fivesteps/

1. Capture - basically anything that grabs your interest or takes up room in your brain needs to be "captured" in some sort of "inbox"

example: i open my email in the morning and have a whole bunch of unread emails "Captured" in my "inbox"

2. Clarify - go through each item, or email in this case, and decide if it is "Actionable"....if no, you trash it or put it into a "Reference" or "someday/maybe" file. if yes, it is actionable, you do the task if it takes less than 2 minutes...if it takes more than 2 minutes you delegate , put it on a "to do/action" list so you can accomplish it when you are able, or schedule an appt for it

example: my aunt sends me an article warning about hypodermic needles on movie theater seats...i immediately delete/trash

my client sends me an email asking me to send him a copy of his invoice...since that takes less than 2 minutes i immediately do it

another professor sends me an email asking me to generate a large excel sheet and report by next week....since that takes more than 2 minutes and is considered more of a "project" with a timeline, i'll schedule a time on my calendar to get started on the first steps of that project

3. Organize - basically placing your actionable items under the right lists or categories

example: if i send an email to someone and i need to know a response, ill create a separate email folder called "Waiting For"....any emails i send that i need to be reminded of bc i need an answer will be dragged into the "waiting For" folder....that way my mind doesnt have to worry about remembering and forgetting that im waiting on Bob to answer a question i emailed him

if i receive an email from a client requesting some paperwork that will take longer than 2 minute but does NOT have a set timeline.....ill create a separate folder called "Action" and drag that email into the folder

that way, i can regularly click my "action" folder and see what emails are in there that need to be worked on during the course of my day when i have free time

4. Reflect - basically check and update all your categories/lists

every day or every week, ill go through my "Waiting for" and "Action" email folders to assess what still needs to be done

5. Engage - simply "do" the "next actions" required by your items

Example: that appointment i made in my calendar to get started on the Excel project on December 1st.....
on December 1st, i decide that the very "next action" that needs to be completed in order to move forward with completing this project is to have a brainstorming session

example: in my "action" folder i see an email where I am requested to organize the company holiday dinner

the "next action" i need to do to get this started might be finding out how many people will be attending
so i can let the restaurants know what we are looking for

the "next action" would be asking around the office who intends on attending the dinner and what dates work best for everyone...that would involve me "Actioning" by sending out a company wide email ...etc

Adults who need a book to tell them how to live life are usually hopeless causes

My wife is big on using her planner book to try to plan out so many things in a very detailed manner. She'll spend so much time on the planner that could have been used to actually accomplish the tasks. The planner is also overambitious. I have a coworker who is similar who spends a lot of time organizing and labeling which I found counterproductive.

I have no problem with setting reminders as I use my desktop calendar at work for almost everything, but I think people can go overboard with it. It helps that I'm able to get a lot of my business done from work.

Adults who need a book to tell them how to live life are usually hopeless causes

this isn't a typical self help book, as i mentioned....it's a basic organization/time management system...that's it
no get rich quick, no mumbo jumbo, etc

whenever people ask me what products i highly recommend, i always mention this book
it's actually the only "self help" book ive actually read, so im not one of those people that run through every book on the market

it's helped me tremendously at work, and others Ive recommended the book to say the same

this book has been the biggest game changer in my professional life and has brought me nothing but a net positive in my quality of life

My wife is big on using her planner book to try to plan out so many things in a very detailed manner. She'll spend so much time on the planner that could have been used to actually accomplish the tasks. The planner is also overambitious. I have a coworker who is similar who spends a lot of time organizing and labeling which I found counterproductive.

I have no problem with setting reminders as I use my desktop calendar at work for almost everything, but I think people can go overboard with it. It helps that I'm able to get a lot of my business done from work.

yes there is a very fine line between "planner junkies" and the GTD method
the GTD method stresses just getting to the "next action" as soon as possible and getting things out of the way

my personal GTD system consists of my Outlook email/calendar, checklists on my cell phone, a very general filing system (GTD advises against getting to detailed with labeling/organizing file folders), and a physical inbox for actual pieces of non electronics, paper, etc...

Looks good TS. I have done over 200 self empowerment titles easily over the last 25 years, and this is passing the initial sniff test.

This guy has credibility. He is a student of management king Peter Drucker.
Also doesn't hurt that he has been backed by the prestigious Penguin Press publishers.

Personal management meets technology is nothing new, but I will give this a go, as it would appear that it is the most up to date, and credible expression of the idea.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
Mayberry could use more threads on self improvement/empowerment

Audio sample here... http://www.audible.com/pd/Business/Getting-Things-Done-Audiobook/B01B6WSMHI

PDF here... http://transhumanism-russia.ru/docu...one_-_The_Art_Of_Stress-Free_Productivity.pdf

Most adults are hopeless causes with, or without books.

As soon as we close our minds to learning new ways of understanding and working in the world, we are that much closer to an intellectual death. You shouldn't care what, when, where, how, or from who knowledge comes. We are all ignorant and could use all the knowledge we can get.

Below is one of the best organizational tools that I have ever heard of or used. I highly recommend it for anyone, especially those of you who bounce around away from your desk a fair amount.

http://bulletjournal.com/

Back