Starting Brazilian Jiu Jitsu at 17 years old. Advice?

dsyh9418

White Belt
Reaction score
I decided to start Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and will be attending a class next week. What will I do the first day of practice? I'm an athletic guy and learn quickley. I'm 5'9 and around 143 lbs. My cardio does need work though. I'm committed to my decision and will keep going with it. Is 17 a good age to start? Advice?

Do well in your junior and senior years of high school, try and challenge yourself with honors/AP coursework without sacrificing too much GPA points, do well on the SATs, volunteer, try and get some leadership positions in school clubs, make sure you apply to college early with a solid application, and prepare for your interviews. Once you get to college, party hard yes, but pick a good solid major that can prepare you for whatever career you find interesting, and be sure to make use of whatever resources you have such as pre-professional advising, and try and take a variety of courses not just in the sciences but in the humanities as well, since pre-collegiate, public schooling in the USA is an affront to the very definition of "education".

Also, have fun in BJJ.

Don't get mad when u have larger or more experienced people destroy you. That's just part of it then eventually you will be the one doing the destroying

Do well in your junior and senior years of high school, try and challenge yourself with honors/AP coursework without sacrificing too much GPA points, do well on the SATs, volunteer, try and get some leadership positions in school clubs, make sure you apply to college early with a solid application, and prepare for your interviews. Once you get to college, party hard yes, but pick a good solid major that can prepare you for whatever career you find interesting, and be sure to make use of whatever resources you have such as pre-professional advising, and try and take a variety of courses not just in the sciences but in the humanities as well, since pre-collegiate, public schooling in the USA is an affront to the very definition of "education".

Also, have fun in BJJ.

^ wise advice

Relax. Relax some more. And then when you think you are relaxed, relax just a little more. Don't go all out when you roll. Try to use the techniques you are covering in class. After that, stick with it and don't quit.

listen to your instructor, give your best effort, and only miss class when you absolutly must.

also, if you have another year of hs left, join the wrestling team next year.

Perfect, I started at 17 as well. Don't get too frustrated about all the adults being strong enough to out muscle you, your technique will help you catch up soon enough.

The best advice I ever heard about BJJ is that your progress in BJJ is not measured in days or weeks, but in months and years. Try to remember that, because you will be tapped, you will get frustrated, and your ego will get checked every time you train.

Also, have fun in BJJ.

Knowledge has been dropped.

Keep training! Don't get frustrated like the other teens and quit

Also, have fun in BJJ.

^^Best post I've ever seen.

I was 16 when I started training. I was training with these adult men, who not only had a weight advantage over me, but strength too. That's why I ended up on the bottom pretty often. Now, my guard is pretty good, and not many want to get in it.

That's my story. But my advice for you, just keep training. When someone new in his mid-20s is owning you with his strength and size, remember that when you're in your mid-20s, you'll be very good on the ground. Don't worry about using your strength. This will only make your technique better, training with bigger guys.

Any time is a good time to start, as long as you're healthy.

Just make sure to learn as many important techniques possible and apply them in while rolling.

I started at 14 and some of the things I learnt are to go with the best guys from the start. You'll get better that way, even though you'll get smashed the whole time - this does not mean don't go with other white belts and smaller guys, it just means every session try and go with some higher grades.

Don't get frustrated when beaten, relax when sparring, work hard when drilling, and only try and practice techniques you were told in class. If a guy you're with seems particularly friendly, ask for some advice if you're not sure what to do.

Also, mat-time is what makes you good, so spend as much time training as possible.

Last, but most importantly, have fun - enjoy your jiu-jitsu journey.

1. Stop Jiu Jitsu.

2. Start Wrestling.

3. Come back to BJJ in little.

jkjkjkjkjkjkjkjk

Jiu Jitsu is amazing man, and it's awesome you're starting so early. Be patient, listen well, be respectful, and try to be consistent. Don't come in 7x one week, and one time the next week-- try and do 3x/week to start and see how that goes.

Also, EternalRag's posting was the best. That's some truth right there.

^ Joining the wrestling team for your final year is a good idea. No, it is not too late to start. Talk to the coach about summer practices, and if you get the opportunity to wrestle in season, do it.

It'll help you immensely.

Also, have fun in BJJ.

Nice!

If you follow this advice, you'll be able to make time for BJJ for the rest of your life and that's really all it takes to become good at BJJ. Time and consistency.

Typically, the thing that has killed both time and consistency for people has been finances (though family and injury can cause problems too, but family should be more important and injuries are part of the game).

Also, have fun in BJJ.
This post is fantastic.

supplement what you learn in class with video tutorials online, so you grasp a deeper understanding of the concepts behind the techniques/positions

and shrimp

Back