starting jiu jitsu

djm4791

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
hey im just starting jiu jitsu today and i'm really nervous actually
i cant wait but im still nervous. I don't really know what to expect
any help here i know it's kinda last minute

i was the same way my first day, dont sweat it its all in fun

just be respectful and listen. cannot imphasize listening enough, its very disrespectful to ask questions about something the instructor just answered while people were talking

I don't really know what to expect
any help here i know it's kinda last minute

Dont do it !!!! you will get hooked, like your on Crack. It only takes one puff.........Dont do it !!!!

For a two hour class you can probably expect 30 minutes of jiu jitsu specific warmups like bridging, shrimping, rolling, squatting.

Then 40 minutes or so of your teacher showing some techniques and practicing them on someone about your own weight, hopefully with some experience.

Then depending on school, you will wrestle for the rest of the class, or sit and watch the regulars do so.

have fun, and remember, you are a newbie, you are going to make mistakes. everybody has been the new guy in class.

oh, and if you roll....u are going to find yourself tapping alot! thats ok, part of the learning process

if you have questions about a technique, dont be afraid to ask your instructer for help it might seem like alot for you a first but it will get better over time. Good Luck!!

A few pointers:

1- Keep your eyes and ears open more than your mouth.

2- Approach each practice as a learning experience, not a competitive event. Remember that you and your partner are there to make each other better, not tear each other down.

3- Take notes. Either bring a notebook or jot it down on your PC later. Makes a huge difference in your learning curve.

4- Shower after training. Nothing sucks more than getting a nasty rash and not being able to train.

5- Tape your fingers if they hurt. It takes a while to get used to gripping the gi, and your fingers can take some real abuse.

6- If you train no-gi, you will get mat burn on your toes, knees and elbows. Wash them with alcohol after your workout, and wear protective gear if necessary.

7- If you like your ears the way they are, spend 25 bucks on headgear. It's worth it.

8- Smile and be friendly. Nobody likes to train with a jerk, or someone who takes this stuff too seriously. Don't be that guy.

9- Tap early and often, but learn how to get out of bad situations. If you are tapping to the same moves repeatedly, ask your partner how he would escape it.

10- If you achieve a dominant position that you weren't expecting, try to see if you can hold them there for a while before you attempt a sub. Nothing worse than getting good position and then losing it because you couldn't control him.

11- If you don't understand something, ask. Someone else may also be wondering the same thing.

12- BJJ isn't karate or boxing or Muay Thai or even wrestling. You have to empty your cup if you plan to learn anything.

13- Keep your gi and your personal self clean. Nobody wants to roll with a smelly germ factory.

14- Do some cardio and conditioning outside of class. Weights too, if you have time/energy. But keep in mind that the more you roll, the better you will get.

15- Have fun. And have a life outside of BJJ so that you will appreciate how awesome BJJ is when you are training.

Be respectful and pay attention i cant stress that enough, if a new kid comes in and respects and and pays attention when i try to help him ill continue to help him no matter how bad he sucks but if they dont respect me and dont pay attention ill only help them long enough to figure that out

Don't be afraid to ask questions. 9 times out of 10, the person you are partnered with won't have a problem explaining and showing you what you are doing wrong. Relax, listen, learn, and have fun. That's it.

((And leave the ego at the door.))

A few pointers:

2- Approach each practice as a learning experience, not a competitive event. Remember that you and your partner are there to make each other better, not tear each other down.

3- Take notes. Either bring a notebook or jot it down on your PC later. Makes a huge difference in your learning curve.

4- Shower after training. Nothing sucks more than getting a nasty rash and not being able to train.

5- Tape your fingers if they hurt. It takes a while to get used to gripping the gi, and your fingers can take some real abuse.

6- If you train no-gi, you will get mat burn on your toes, knees and elbows. Wash them with alcohol after your workout, and wear protective gear if necessary.

7- If you like your ears the way they are, spend 25 bucks on headgear. It's worth it.

8- Smile and be friendly. Nobody likes to train with a jerk, or someone who takes this stuff too seriously. Don't be that guy.

9- Tap early and often, but learn how to get out of bad situations. If you are tapping to the same moves repeatedly, ask your partner how he would escape it.

10- If you achieve a dominant position that you weren't expecting, try to see if you can hold them there for a while before you attempt a sub. Nothing worse than getting good position and then losing it because you couldn't control him.

11- If you don't understand something, ask. Someone else may also be wondering the same thing.

12- BJJ isn't karate or boxing or Muay Thai or even wrestling. You have to empty your cup if you plan to learn anything.

13- Keep your gi and your personal self clean. Nobody wants to roll with a smelly germ factory.

14- Do some cardio and conditioning outside of class. Weights too, if you have time/energy. But keep in mind that the more you roll, the better you will get.

15- Have fun. And have a life outside of BJJ so that you will appreciate how awesome BJJ is when you are training.

I love the way you phrased this. So true!

Sohan, great post!

If you do even half of what he has down. you'll do very well.

I'd only add one thing and that is, check your ego. Too many people look at training and sparring as "winning and losing." It's not. You're not in a competition. The people that you train with are your teammates, not your opponents.

Tapping is nothing. Being so upset that you fail to learn from that tap is a waste...you lose the entire value of the tap.

Finally, don't measure yourself based on other people. Just because you can't beat the same guy next month that you can't beat this month, it does not mean that you are not improving. Remember, their training and getting better too. Measure the you of today against the you of one month ago.

The first thing your coach will ask you is if you used the Grappling Forum search function.

awesome posts all of yo seriously it helped alot
and thanks for some good advice for the future the guy was right it is addicting haha

is it ok if you try slipping a guillotine i=on the instructor when he was teaching you the basics
i thought it was kinda funny because i almost did it like muscle memory or sumthin

Don't be afraid to ask questions. 9 times out of 10, the person you are partnered with won't have a problem explaining and showing you what you are doing wrong. Relax, listen, learn, and have fun. That's it.

((And leave the ego at the door.))

I just started training myself. I personaly leave my ego at the door, and have fun with it. My thing is there are some guys that are higher rank (blue belts and so on) that are pretty much jerks... should I just shrug that stuff off? Obviously they would probably murder me I haven't even recieved my first strip yet.

A few pointers:

thanks btw i forgot to mention this before lol thanks alot

So...how did it go? I still get a little bit of butterflies when im going to class and ive been doing it for almost three years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardscarf
Back