Steinermania 287: HE'S FAT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Generally, the Japan guys work really really snug, almost to the point of looking like they are in it for real. The Sami Zayn - Nakamura match is a good example. Not as hard hitting as some other of their usual matches but it is up there in term of snug. But sometimes the Japanese have an almost fetishistic relationship with pain, so you have people doing this.

2289120_orig.gif

Some of the Joshi matches looks brutal. Remember that gal who got shoot on so hard she had to retired? Geez.

Yeah, I think people who don't get the appeal of Strong Style need to watch a joshi match. The whole point to it is to make it as believable as possible without killing people. This mania everyone complained about Shane's "boxing punches" because you could see they clearly weren't making contact, well that's why we love Strong Style. Often times, it LOOKS like a punch without being a full punch (or hitting somewhere less painful). It doesn't break immersion when they get into striking. If they were really wailing on each other, it would look like joshi, because they ARE really wailing on each other. Asuka is really drilling that chick in the gif, but they do it because they're just hardcore like that.

Funny story about the match you're talking about (Act Yasukawa vs Yoshiko), is that after Yoshiko hamburgered Act's face and broke her orbital bone, Act pleaded with the referees not to end the match as they were trying to get her to go. Her justification? "I'm a pro wrestler damnit!" Joshi chicks go hard.

Edit: Hah, whaddya know, they have a pic.

gK0kzD5.jpg

Last edited:
I'm just amazed that HBK hasnt's said anything about the excessive Superkicking, this is a guy who threw a bitch fit because Umaga wore green.

Hell, Austin said that Cena shouldn't be using that Springboard Stunner if he's just using it for a near fall. Reason being, that you have one of the most over finishers ever, if it just gets used by one guy for a near fall, then more guys use it, then it makes the guys who lost to it whether it was him, Mikey Whipwreck, Disco Inferno or Ed Leslie delivering it, it makes the guys who lost to it look bad.

Look at the DDT, it means nothing now.

I've always looked at it not being just the move, or the performer, but a combination of the two. Like, even just looking at the moves and the people doing them ... Cena looks like he could kill two Steve Austins at once in real life, but even being a springboard I don't feel like his stunner is half as visceral as Austin's.

I mean, Cena's finisher, just as a move, would have the same impact as a fireman's carry takedown or samoan drop, but he does it with enough uniqueness and emotion that it looks like something really big.

Not literally every damn person can either have a unique finisher or only use existing finishers as finishers.

His book essentially says he was gonna have a big backstage role as part of his two decade contract

Any fucker who had the build to suplex everybody would look intimidating.

Big Show and Mark Henry ain't gonna get chucked about by Rey Mysterio.

But they can still get defeated by a smaller dude and make it look convincing.

Oh and chops hurt. And wind.

They hurt like motherfucking motherfuck fuck.

PS if Mark Henry or Big Show got suplexed by Mysterio than I omitted that what I watched of his run.

I said somebody who didn't look like Brock.:)

I do feel you on that, but I think if done right it's not as jarring as you've experienced.

Perhaps so, it remains to be seen I guess with regards Nakamura.

There has to be a deeper reason for the amount of butthurt Bret has towards HHH.

screwjob was hhh's idea
bret got to kick vince's ass and 20 years of hbk saying he's sorry
hhh never got his comeupins from bret

Yeah, I think people who don't get the appeal of Strong Style need to watch a joshi match. The whole point to it is to make it as believable as possible without killing people. This mania everyone complained about Shane's "boxing punches" because you could see they clearly weren't making contact, well that's why we love Strong Style. Often times, it LOOKS like a punch without being a full punch (or hitting somewhere less painful). It doesn't break immersion when they get into striking. If they were really wailing on each other, it would look like joshi, because they ARE really wailing on each other. Asuka is really drilling that chick in the gif, but they do it because they're just hardcore like that.

Funny story about the match you're talking about (Act Yasukawa vs Yoshiko), is that after Yoshiko hamburgered Act's face and broke her orbital bone, Act pleaded with the referees not to end the match as they were trying to get her to go. Her justification? "I'm a pro wrestler damnit!" Joshi chicks go hard.

Edit: Hah, whaddya know, they have a pic.

gK0kzD5.jpg

Regarding the joshi, you kind of have to take in account the culture that these Japanese females. They are expected by society to be strong but demure. So if they want to express themselves in a strong way, wrestling is usually the way to go. Along with martial arts like judo. And mix in with the Japanese's rather rigid senpai/kouhai system where you had to pay your dues before even getting into the ring, that's the result we have right now.

There was an article about a California girl who went to Japan to become a wrestler. Her ring name is Kris Wolf, I think. And of course, she had a Wolf theme/gimmick. It is interesting because she recounted all of that so it is a rather rare insight into the scene.

Regarding the joshi, you kind of have to take in account the culture that these Japanese females. They are expected by society to be strong but demure. So if they want to express themselves in a strong way, wrestling is usually the way to go. Along with martial arts like judo. And mix in with the Japanese's rather rigid senpai/kouhai system where you had to pay your dues before even getting into the ring, that's the result we have right now.

There was an article about a California girl who went to Japan to become a wrestler. Her ring name is Kris Wolf, I think. And of course, she had a Wolf theme/gimmick. It is interesting because she recounted all of that so it is a rather rare insight into the scene.

Oh don't get me wrong, i'm a yuge mark for a good joshi match. It just goes to show how brutal it is that like the average age to retire from wrestling is like in their late 20s. They don't pull shit over there. If you find that article you should post it, that sounds really interesting.

Oh don't get me wrong, i'm a yuge mark for a good joshi match. It just goes to show how brutal it is that like the average age to retire from wrestling is like in their late 20s. They don't pull shit over there. If you find that article you should post it, that sounds really interesting.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-japan-wrestling-idUSKCN0X40PK

https://wolfinjapan.wordpress.com/ and here's her personal blog.

Pretty cute. And her teeth are massive. No wonder why she get a wolf gimmick with those canine teeth.

Almost 1/4 of the way thru the thread and no freaks. Not sure this is best for business.

sooo heres the smackdown spoilers as i just finished it. not gonna go into crazy detail but yea

corbin defeats zack ryder. goes apeshit afterwards and ziggler comes to ryder's rescue and tries to hit him with super kicks but corbin evades em all. budding feud looms

emma def paige. emma cuts a promo saying its her time and she's pissed at becky lynch. blah blah blah nothing of note

enzo and cass def the ascension. enzo rocks the mic some more. the whole "my name is enzo cass......etc etc etc" is getting kind of stale. hope its not done ad nausem. they looked good. was busy making sandwiches so i didnt pay attention much to the match.

aj styles def del rio. back and forth. fun match to watch. rio goes for that armbar and aj transitions into an oklahoma roll for the three count

goldust cuts a promo with r truth telling him he had to find a new partner. fandango comes out and says are you ready for goldango (or some shit to that extent). fandango and goldust then start to "dance" as r truth looks on like wtf

vaudevillians beat goldango. nothing exciting. quick and easy for them. they'll face the usos in the tag team tournament

jericho cuts a promo. calls dean ambrose an amateur. then praises himself and calls san diego a dump. says he's gonna teach zayn a lesson

zayn def jericho via dq. they come out match starts and then KO's music comes on and he starts to make the walk down. then dean ambrose's music comes on and he walks out with ambrose asylum flyers and hands them out. thye both take a seat at the commentary table. match gets back underway. goes back and forth. decent. zayn flips jericho onto ko and then rolls him back in. about to hit his finisher but KO attacks him. jericho and KO start to beat on zayn and ambrose runs in and comes to the rescue. ambrose and zayn clear the ring and shake hands at the end of the show as KO whines like a bitch and jericho throws a tantrum outside the ring

I know what you mean, it just pisses me off, is all. It screams indyriffic to me. The bad kind of indy, where there is zero build-up, it's just "let's get all our shit in for momentary pops, maybe a 'this is awesome' chant, rather than build a decent match".

I know that sounds very surly but, I am sure people will agree with me. And people will disagree, too, which is fine, tis only opinion, after all.
No man, I'm totally in this camp. I like the tiered finish system in Japan where low card matches end with a good move that isn't too special, higher up matches end on signatures, main events end on finishers, and big matchups have super finishers, with a little variation here and there to keep things interesting. I dig the old school NWA shit too, Dusty could work an amazing match without any big moves by just making the right moves at the right at the right times. I'd like to see wrestling scaled back as a whole so things can be built back up again instead of being a race to the finisher. It's kind of impossible to do, but maybe babysteps and a worldwide agreement will make progress and help all the workers and fans out.

Bret gives strong style a 4/10
Bret actually said Nakamura and Asuka were the MVP's of Wrestlemania weekend. He digs Strong Style.

Just cause...

I have a love/hate relationship with Joshi. It's fucking amazing, and those girls put on some insane matches, but it feels wrong watching them kill themselves for my entertainment. They really go out with a chip on their shoulder and are willing to do anything to be respected. It crosses the line, but they choose to do it, so who am I to judge? I posted a video in the last thread of Asuka and another Joshi chick getting the shit beat out of them by Yoshiaki Fujiwara and Minoru Suzuki.

I have a love/hate relationship with Joshi. It's fucking amazing, and those girls put on some insane matches, but it feels wrong watching them kill themselves for my entertainment. They really go out with a chip on their shoulder and are willing to do anything to be respected. It crosses the line, but they choose to do it, so who am I to judge? I posted a video in the last thread of Asuka and another Joshi chick getting the shit beat out of them by Yoshiaki Fujiwara and Minoru Suzuki.

Watching this match. It is rather funny in a way. Mio Shirai is completely in squee mode for being able to wrestle Minoru Suzuki, while Suzuki was all business like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back