News Stephen A Smith says he doesn’t like to see wmma

He's right.
Women fighters' punch lacks power.
Most have mediocre BJJ.
WMMA fight most certainly ends in a decision.

Simply boring.
Can transgenders fight in the UFC now?

It's a good thing nobody forces him to. Good for him to have an opinion, though.

In the latest episode of the “Black on the Air” podcast, a conversation between host Larry Wilmore and Smith shifted to women and sports, a topic that has gotten Stephen A. into trouble before. In this case, Wilmore shined a light on recent barriers being broken by women, citing the Miami Marlins’ hiring of Kim Ng as MLB’s first female general manager and Becky Hammon being the first woman to act as an NBA head coach when she filled in for the San Antonio Spurs’ Gregg Popovich after he was ejected from a game.

1206336130.0.jpg

Wilmore: “Are we going to see more of this? This is interesting to me. This is kind of all happening kind of at the same time. What is your take on that?”

Smith: “First of all, I love it. I think that there’s an awful lot of women that are incredibly qualified to do the jobs that they’re doing. Where I jump off the bandwagon is when they try to engage physically. For example, I don’t ever want to see a woman boxing a man. I don’t want to see that. I don’t want to see a woman in the UFC fighting a man even though there are some women out there that’ll kick a dude’s butt. We get all that. When I think about pugilistic sports, I don’t like seeing women involved in that at all. I just don’t like it. I wouldn’t promote legislating laws to prohibit them from doing so, but I don’t want to see women punching each other in the face. I don’t want to see women fighting in the octagon and stuff like that, but that’s just me. What I would adamantly be against is them fighting men. I don’t think that’s cool. Plus, you don’t ever want to give men license to believe that it’s all right to be physical with a woman, to be quite honest with you. You don’t want to do that.”

“And so, outside of that, when you think about them in executive positions, first of all they’re smarter than (men) a lot of times, they’re more composed than us a lot of times, they’re incredibly knowledgeable about these respective sports. They’ve had to go through trials and tribulations one couldn’t even imagine most of the time. For them to get to that point, they deserve the opportunity to showcase their skill sets. Just like we have women in corporate America doing an incredible job leading companies, being executives, pushing businesses forward, etc., etc. There’s no reason on earth why they can’t do the same in the sports world. I support it, I’m a fan of it, and I hope we see more of it.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2021/02/stephen-a-smith-doesnt-like-women-ufc-boxing

https://www.theringer.com/2021/1/31/22258783/stephen-a-smith-on-stephen-as-world-hank-aaron-and-more
Thats messed up, I hope my favorite fighter Islam Makacheav likes wmma

Attachments

• Screenshot_4.png
    Screenshot_4.png
    595.9 KB · Views: 2
Nobody cares about wmma. Nobody was watching Invicta or the other women cards.

Dana realized that women’s “fights” were a great way to cut costs. They all suck and will never earn much. This makes a great way to say you have a top 10 match or championship fight on a card. This allows the ufc to have more cards with the same amount of male fighters required.

This was just perfect timing with half the population losing their minds. We now have people running around thinking gender is not assigned at birth and that men and women are the same. I never expected to encounter these idiots on sherdog defending wmma, but here we are.

I don’t care if women compete in mma. The same way I don’t care if they play basketball or anything else. I just have 0 interest in watching it when I could spend my time watching real athletes.
This is all nonsense.

Reactions: HHJ
I enjoy seeing the top females fight each other,More and more we have more talented fighters coming in. It doesnt matter what he or anyone else thinks about it,its here and it aint goin nowhere

Dana realized that women’s “fights” were a great way to cut costs. They all suck and will never earn much.

Except it is UFC policy that male and female fighters get equal pay. Look at any reported pay out you can find, female fighters make the same pay as their male counterparts.

You have no idea what you are talking about

That's right, Stephen A Smith only wants to focus on real A-level athletes.

Lets be honest, does anyone think if Stephen A. Smith had started training MMA at an early age that he couldn't beat 99% or more of the WMMA roster?

Its easy to make fun of a journalist in his 50's hitting pads

So not the fact a fight is boring, but just cause a person has a vagina can ruin a fight card? That's a first.
Lets be fair here, alot of people who call themselves MMA fans also hate any weight class below 145 and those fights are MUCH more entertaining than virtually any WMMA fight

Except it is UFC policy that male and female fighters get equal pay. Look at any reported pay out you can find, female fighters make the same pay as their male counterparts.

You have no idea what you are talking about

I like how you say that with pride as if its justified.

Ask a casual fan if they'd rather pay to see Aspen Ladd fight Irene Aldana or watch Bryce Mitchell fight Chase Hooper and 9/10 times they'll chose the men.

Women are only featured on UFC cards because its the only way they can get exposure because no one gives a shit if its an all female card

I like how you say that with pride

This is bizzare. You can’t hear my voice. You have no possible way of determining my inflection. Assuming that my statement exhibited Pride is flat out irrational.

I was simply correcting someone who was making false information and spreading it as if it were fact.

I do for any myths and bad info that ends up getting spread around here.

Are we okay with people spreading misinformation unchallenged?

I will give credit to Stephen A for being ballsy enough to say it. I'm sure many involved in the combat sports feel the same way as other sherbros. From fighters like GSP, islam, etc.

What I'd say is I don't agree for me personally. I also think people who criticise wmma for it being women, but really wmma has a skill problem and that's probably because the sport its at its infancy. Another thing is, all the A-level women athletes that could come to MMA, are from the west. Most women in the west have better options than being punched in the face. Where they could be some killers in wmma in another countries, some of them are not fighting because they're not allowed.

If Ronda didn't take her ball and went home. If she dumped edmond, I think Wmma could have developed into something bigger than what it is today if she stayed a relevant star. Get women interested. But so far, wmma is very niche, therefore the skill level is kinda bad.

I think when WMMA is good, its almost right up there with the men but that's so far in between.

This is the problem - WMMA will never be that good. It has been around since the early 2000s and in the UFC since 2013 I believe and it still hasn’t evolved jack shit.
There are a couple of good fighters at the top of the heap and the rest are significantly bad, like regional amateurs bad outside of the top 3 and maybe 5 in strawweight.

Look how much mma evolved from the late 90s to the mid 2000s. Now look at how much wmma has evolved in that same time period when it was booming the most (carano/cyborg era to Rousey era).

Newsflash, it hasn’t at all and never will. This is just a myth that gets pushed on these boards, it will be the same dogshit fights 10 years from now that it is today. Look at that fucking Cindy Dandois fight at that was like 2017 lmao and she has a win over the girl challenging Amanda Nunes in fucking 2021, let that sink in.

If they can train MMA, they can train sandwich making

I said what I said

Nobody cares about wmma. Nobody was watching Invicta or the other women cards.

Dana realized that women’s “fights” were a great way to cut costs. They all suck and will never earn much. This makes a great way to say you have a top 10 match or championship fight on a card. This allows the ufc to have more cards with the same amount of male fighters required.

This was just perfect timing with half the population losing their minds. We now have people running around thinking gender is not assigned at birth and that men and women are the same. I never expected to encounter these idiots on sherdog defending wmma, but here we are.

I don’t care if women compete in mma. The same way I don’t care if they play basketball or anything else. I just have 0 interest in watching it when I could spend my time watching real athletes.

Ironically enough the only people that seem to be uppity about only women’s fight cards are the middle aged wmma superfans themselves. WNBA, WNHL, Soccer, pretty much everywhere have women’s only leagues why can’t ufc have women’s only cards?

I would love if UFC put on women’s fight nights, then I could skip them as a whole and it wouldn’t deflate otherwise good nights of fights for me. Nothing worse than trying to sit thru a meh fight night and knowing your night is about to get longer because Kaitlyn Chookagian is up next.

You hit the nail on the head though, it is mostly just cheap prelim filler to fill out cards post Ronda era.

I don’t want to see it either.

Literally can ruin the flow of an entire card for me. Not because I don’t feel women deserve the right to fight too, but it’s just not what I’m use to seeing and grew to love.
That's why it annoys the shit out of me when idiots can't grasp why bout order matters cos "you still get to see all the fights"

Why shouldn't men fight women? If there's a woman out there who can beat a man, that's something I'd rather see than 2 women fighting each other.

I'd also love to see women in other sports competing with men, if they're good enough.

Back