Stephen Hawking passes away at 76

:(

I just bought a lecture series of his. Grand Design is one the best pop sci books written.

And now his watch has ended

<2>

tumblr_mbnfiqy6sa1qg39ewo1_500.gif

Wow...generally I don’t have many emotions tied to the death of anyone famous, but seeing your title made me feel an odd sense of loss.

His line of work was way over my head, but I appreciated his profound ability to understand the universe in a way the most will ever know.

RIP Mr. Hawking

200w.gif

What was his UFC record?

How did the cheek muscle generate so many words so fast?

In all seriousness. A great man who gave so much to the world in his scientific contributions. He was supposed to die a long time ago, but somehow thru the sheer will of his mind, lived an incredible life. RIP

It was his time, he made it way longer than he should have. A great mind, always hurts to lose those.

Sad news, RIP.

intelligent skeptic of einsteins theories, ridiculed at first but revered eventually

individual genius prevails

RIP. Crazy to think that he was given 2 years to live more than 50 years ago.

Rest in peace. You're part of the universe now.

Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76, his family has said.

The British physicist was known for his work with black holes and relativity, and wrote several popular science books including A Brief History of Time.

"We are deeply saddened that our beloved father passed away today," a family statement said.

At the age of 22 Stephen Hawking was given only a few years to live after being diagnosed with a rare form of motor neurone disease.

The illness left him wheelchair-bound and largely unable to speak except through a voice synthesiser.

His family said that he died peacefully in his home near Cambridge University, where he did much of his groundbreaking work on black holes.

In the statement his children, Lucy, Robert and Tim, said: "He was a great scientist and an extraordinary man whose work and legacy will live on for many years."

They praised his "courage and persistence" and said his "brilliance and humour" inspired people across the world.

"He once said, 'It would not be much of a universe if it wasn't home to the people you love.' We will miss him forever."

Prof Hawking was the first to set out a theory of cosmology as a union of relativity and quantum mechanics.

He also discovered that black holes leak energy and fade to nothing - a phenomenon that would later become known as Hawking radiation.

The scientist gained popularity outside the academic world and appeared in several TV shows including The Simpsons, Red Dwarf and The Big Bang Theory.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43396008

Back