Stephen King's THE TOMMYKNOCKERS Movie in the Works from James Wan (Universal Wins Bidding War)

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Stephen King's THE TOMMYKNOCKERS Movie in the Works from James Wan

4EUZ4Kd.jpg

The Tommyknockers could be the next Stephen King novel to get the feature treatment. James Wan, the director and producer behind The Conjuring horror movies, and Roy Lee, one of the producers behind the adaptation of King’s It, are tackling the adaptation of the writer’s 1987 science-fiction-horror novel.

The duo, who would produce via their respective banners, Atomic Monster and Vertigo, have teamed up with Larry Sanitsky, the veteran producer who executive produced the 1993 television miniseries adaptation of Tommyknockers.

The package hit studios and digital streamers such as Netflix on Thursday, ahead of the Easter and Passover holiday weekend.

“It is an allegorical tale of addiction (Stephen was struggling with his own at the time), the threat of nuclear power, the danger of mass hysteria and the absurdity of technical evolution run amuck. All are as relevant today as the day the novel was written. It is also a tale about the eternal power of love and the grace of redemption,” wrote Sanitsky, who holds the screen rights, in a mission statement sent to prospective buyers and obtained by THR.

The project is expected to garner keen interest thanks to several factors. The book is the second-best-selling King book of all time in its initial hard cover release and outsold such King classics as It, The Shining and Carrie.And there is already a hungry appetite for the author's material thanks to the success of It, New Line’s adaptation that proved to be a surprise hit when it grossed $700 million worldwide.

The story follows a town in Maine that falls under the influence of a dangerous gas from an unearthed space craft. The gas begins to transform the people, giving them enhanced abilities, but also making them violent and subject to an alien hive mentality. One man, thanks to a steel plate in his head, is immune to the effects and tries to stop the townspeople.

The ABC miniseries, starring Jimmy Smits and Marg Helgenberger, was a massive ratings hit. In 2013, NBC announced it would make another adaptation but those plans never came to fruition.

James Wan and 'It' Producer Roy Lee Team for Stephen King's 'Tommyknockers' (Exclusive)

I'm a big King fan, but I remember thinking Tommyknockers was one of the few crap ones he did. I also hold Wan in high regard though, so it'll be interesting to see what he does with it.

The Long Walk is the one I realllllly want to see made into a film. Apparently Frank Darabont owns the rights, he needs to fucking hurry up and make it.

I'm a big King fan, but I remember thinking Tommyknockers was one of the few crap ones he did. I also hold Wan in high regard though, so it'll be interesting to see what he does with it.

The Long Walk is the one I realllllly want to see made into a film. Apparently Frank Darabont owns the rights, he needs to fucking hurry up and make it.

Rose Red was just as terrible.

TommyKnockers was god awful though.

and that Cell Phone movie with Samuel Jackson and John Cusack was a complete piece of $hit too

I'm a big King fan, but I remember thinking Tommyknockers was one of the few crap ones he did.

I'm not a King fan overall, but do know he has very little to no involvement in the film adaptations of his material.

In 'The Shinning' book, the hotel blows up at the end, and King has expressed dissatisfaction with the end of the film.

I'm not a King fan overall, but do know he has very little to no involvement in the film adaptations of his material.

In 'The Shinning' book, the hotel blows up at the end, and King has expressed dissatisfaction with the end of the film.

I was actually talking about the book. I think 90s mini-series is pretty much universally recognized as being shite, but I'm not too sure about other people's opinion of the book. If I remember correctly he's criticized it himself, as it's one that was written when he was really fucked up on drugs, and not in a way that leads to heightened creativity.

I actually like The Tommyknockers. Not as good as The Stand, Carrie, or IT but I enjoyed it. The First Act was long and kind of boring but Acts Two and Three was King at his best. The Mini-Series was terrible. I wouldn't mind Jimmy Smits playing the lead role again though. He's a solid actor.

Hollywood, please don't waste time on this, This one of the King books I really hated.

The one I really want to see made into a movie is The Gunslinger. Couldn't possible screw up a movie based on such a fantastic novel.

I actually really liked this book but wasn’t sure how it would do as a movie. It has a good team behind it tho so I’ll defibitely check it out.

Terrible book. They should remake Cujo instead and update it with a pit bull.

this is just another remake because Hollyweird is running out of ideas. They had the Dark Tower, but they totally blew that up.

Didn't King call it his worst book referring to it as Awful? Never read it myself

2nd best seller of his? That's crazy considering all the other good books. how many books of his turned to films that ultimately...sucked ass? Everyone but 2 or 3?

King’s best writing was Apt Pupil and he movie was shit. I’d rather them remake that.

I liked the mini series,although that might be because I was shagging the bar maid at my local and it used to be on in the bar when I went to see her

Not the same movie but it's still Stephen King.

FkCzPH0.gif

Update: April 19, 2018

Universal Wins Bidding War Against Sony and Netflix for THE TOMMYKNOCKERS

9XaLqm1.jpg

Universal Pictures has won an intense bidding war to pick up the screen rights to Tommyknockers, the 1987 sci-fi/horror novel from Stephen King.

James Wan, the director and producer behind the Conjuring horror movies, and Roy Lee, one of the producers behind the adaptation of King’s It, are producing with Larry Sanitsky, the veteran producer who executive produced the 1993 TV miniseries adaptation of the novel.

Universal beat out Sony and Netflix, both of whom made aggressive overtures for the package. In the end, it came down to Sony and Universal.

No writer is attached and Wan is not attached as director but sources say that could change depending on development.

The story focuses on a town in Maine that falls under the influence of a dangerous gas from an unearthed space craft. The gas begins to transform the people, giving them enhanced abilities, but also making them violent and subject to an alien hive mentality. One man, thanks to a steel plate in his head, is immune to the effects and tries to stop the townspeople.

“It is an allegorical tale of addiction (Stephen was struggling with his own at the time), the threat of nuclear power, the danger of mass hysteria and the absurdity of technical evolution run amuck. All are as relevant today as the day the novel was written. It is also a tale about the eternal power of love and the grace of redemption,” wrote Sanitsky, in a mission statement sent to buyers when the package when out a few weeks ago.

Universal Pictures Wins Stephen King's 'Tommyknockers' Bidding War Against Sony and Netflix

Back