News Stephen Thompson vs Michel Pereira *FIGHT OFF* after Pereira weight miss - Thompson issues statement

Tbh, I don’t think wonderbread wanted anything to do with Michel. Michel was going to embarrass this old guy and we all know it

Does Wonderboy really think he has a chance at another title shot?

He should just be happy that the UFC is giving him a bunch of strikers to finish his career.

Probably a smart move for WB. I think smarter move though would have been to make Pereira weigh in again the following morning with 185 max.

WB is right. It’s not about the 3 pounds, it’s that those last few pounds are the ones that completely drain you and potentially diminish you: WB went through them, so should his opponent … or alternatively Pereira should at least have informed him in advance (he would have known hours before that the cut wasn’t going well) and both could have agreed to stop cutting at 175.

This way it’s a clear advantage to Pereira and WB should consider taking the fight only if the economic upside is really substantial.

Just cut this clown, send a message.

When Jones refused to fight a late notice Chael everyone went apesh*t calling Jones a coward.

Wonderboys opponent misses weight by a measly 2lbs and not a single peep about Wonderboy refusing to fight.

Double standards at its finest… wonder why?

<JonesLaugh>

I'm sure you just learned the term double standard and are excited to use it but that's not how it works. These are totally different scenarios, not a double standard.

Really? WB may be old but if anyone could make Michel look clueless on the feet it's him

Michel is a master in two arts.. and I’m not even referring to jiu jitsu.. I think this was a huge blow to michel and I don’t think wonderboy ever accepts a fight with him again

Tbh, I don’t think wonderbread wanted anything to do with Michel. Michel was going to embarrass this old guy and we all know it

Other than signing the bout agreement, completing a camp and weight cut, showing up and making weight?

What kind of bozo logic is this?

The guy who was 3lbs overweight blew this fight up, not the consummate professional who showed up and did his job.

More guys need to do this, the weight cheaters are getting off light.

100% support Thompson's decision and his reasons for it.

Orgs and commissions should force fighters to move up more often (not to mention actually doing something substantial to curb the *ridiculous* practise of weight cutting in the first place).

I'm surprised Thompson didn't just accept the fight. He was justified 100% turning it down don't get me wrong, but if he has aspirations of another title run, doing favors like that can go a long way in the eyes of the UFC. Wouldn't be shocked if the UFC offers him horrible stylistic matchups for his next fight. Not to mention he's old and the quicker he can pop off some wins the better.

Other than signing the bout agreement, completing a camp and weight cut, showing up and making weight? What kind of bozo logic is this?

The guy who was 3lbs overweight blew this fight up, not the consummate professional who showed up and did his job. More guys need to do this, the weight cheaters are getting off light.

The lack of repercussions against those missing their weight is pitiful.

"Oh, it's only 2,3 or 5 lbs."​

No, it's not fulfilling your contract, and a chickenshit way to cheat. Fining and making them pay the other fighter's wage would stop that BS .

Wonderboy should have asked for 30%, plus make guy still hit 171. make him continue to cut even though he missed the official time. Then it's fair? I think dude might have said yes as he won't get paid otherwise. What's wrong with this approach

This would have been fair imo.

Although I doubt the commissions and promotions want to normalize last-second contract renegotiations based on each fighters' current weight at the deadline. This would be a disaster if fighters started expecting this as an option and planning around it and would throw every card into limbo.

*edit*

Oh wait, kinda like we're already there with current chronic missers, and we never know if we'll end up seeing them fight.

C’mon guys I’m biased! I hate wonderbread, let me cry and whine and blame him for not allowing me the pleasure of watching michel and Tony on the same card .

Astonishing to find so many people saying Wonderboy should have gone ahead with this.

Where's the self respect that demands you always call out someone who's taking the piss / trying to cheat you?

Props to WB for pulling the rug on this clown.
Genuinely seems like a lot of people are so ignorant about how cuts work, they really think it's just the 3 pounds. And not the arduous process of completing the cut. Peirera skipped the difficult part of the cut meaning he didn't have to severely dehydrate himself. And he didn't notify wb so he could stop his cut early too and fight at a cw. He struggles to make ww, WB doesn't.

So he was going to come in larger and without being drained from making weight. That's complete bullshit. Why should fighters go into a fight at a disadvantage because their opponent is going to game the system? Wb is right that people keep doing this shit with absolutely no repercussions. All that anyone remembers afterwards is who won and who lost. Not that one guy gamed the system, exploiting the fact that fighters get shamed for pulling out no matter the reason.

Was catchweight not an option?

edit: I see Thompson didn’t accept. Good for him I guess. Don’t fighters who miss weight win like 80% of the time or something like that? Seems some fighters would forego a little cash to get an advantage.

Back