Stipe vs a wrestler

Am i the only one who thinks stipe looks like michael bisping ate a supermario mushroom?

If he wins I would like to see them go back to Cleveland for the early DEC ppv which was in Detroit & Toronto the past 2 years. He came off like a superstar with the crowd reacting both his walkout & his finish/celebration at UFC 203.

I dont think Brock comes back anytime soon(usada testing) & even if Jones does I'm not sure he wants to fight Stipe. So a Stipe vs Blaydes fight would make sense in Cleveland where as a Jones fight would have to be in Vegas or MSG. It would be smart to try and pick Blaydes off before he hits his physical prime.
Agreed that he should try to pick off Curtis before he hits his prime. Stipe is getting older and the young guns are getting better. I think Blaydes and Ngannou are the future, but both of them I feel need time to to get to a place where they can beat Stipe, and Stipe needs to drop off. Smart to beat the young guns now than later.

Too much bullshit for me.
giphy.gif
What part of that is unreasonable?

The scariest thing about Stipe is I feel he has been and is still progressing in all areas. People will cherry pick from his early fights and say something like "See! JDS had better boxing", completely ignoring the fact that he made leaps and bounds from their first fight, adapted, adjusted and then demolished him. Above all, his fight IQ and intelligence may be his best attribute.

This. Stipe isn't the type of champ to rest on his laurels. He knows everybody's out there training to improve themselves, and that he needs to also to stay one step ahead of them. He beat Ngannou with a unanimous 50-44 yet still talked in the Octagon interview about going back to the drawing board and getting better.

Stipe is a strong folk wrestler who understands wrist control which is probably the biggest attribute to facing DC.

What part of that is unreasonable?
The attributes described after "monster sandwich". Stipe is very good. But he doesnt hit like Rumble. He doesnt have the boxing movement of Gus. Fight IQ of Jones? When has Jones been knocked out by an inferior fighter that he was beating up until the stoppage? Those comments have no merit. You sound like a fanboy at this point.

Stipe is the best boxer in HW history and one of the best wrestlers.

Which is why he got dropped by Reem in a straight left with no set up and limited boxing skills, dropped by JDS with JDSs back against the fence trapped and up right still dropped Stipe, he chases with his head upright with no movement, chases on a straight line like Rhonda lol

One of the best wrestlers has been taken down by JDS, Gonzaga, Big country, etc.

I actually think it should be the other way around. DC needs to control the fight and push the pace. DC has never been a great defensive stand up fighter and his bread and butter has always been his offensive fast paced style up until he fought JJs. DC simply cannot let Stipe come forward and dictate the fight as that puts him at a strong disadvantage.

Last edited:
The attributes described after "monster sandwich". Stipe is very good. But he doesnt hit like Rumble. He doesnt have the boxing movement of Gus. Fight IQ of Jones? When has Jones been knocked out by an inferior fighter that he was beating up until the stoppage? Those comments have no merit. You sound like a fanboy at this point.
That wasn't my post so no need to call me a fan boy

But he does have better boxing than Gus, obviously better footwork than Gus and there's no problem whatsoever saying he hits harder than Rumble. Hard to quantify really but I think it's safe to say actually

Which is why he got dropped by Reem in a straight left with no set up and limited boxing skills, dropped by JDS with JDSs back against the fence trapped and up right still dropped Stipe, he chases with his head upright with no movement, chases on a straight line like Rhonda lol

One of the best wrestlers has been taken down by JDS, Gonzaga, Big country, etc.
He's been taken down by JDS and gonzaga. No Nelson. Total time on his back? Less than a minute.

He doesn't chase with no head movement, parts of this post are just false. His head movement is outstanding for a heavyweight

That wasn't my post so no need to call me a fan boy

But he does have better boxing than Gus, obviously better footwork than Gus and there's no problem whatsoever saying he hits harder than Rumble. Hard to quantify really but I think it's safe to say actually
You are a fanboy. Nothing wrong with that at all. But I apologize for misquoting although it was you who replied to me. I just dont see the slick movement and set ups for his shots. His wrestling is only effective on gassed fighters, see Hunt vs Miocic or his most recent outing vs Ngannou. He runs into big punches all the time but he has a great chin. So thats in opposition to both his boxing and fight IQ. He does a lot of things right, and has good tools, but they are all very basic. He's just really tough.

You are a fanboy. Nothing wrong with that at all. But I apologize for misquoting although it was you who replied to me. I just dont see the slick movement and set ups for his shots. His wrestling is only effective on gassed fighters, see Hunt vs Miocic or his most recent outing vs Ngannou. He runs into big punches all the time but he has a great chin. So thats in opposition to both his boxing and fight IQ. He does a lot of things right, and has good tools, but they are all very basic. He's just really tough.

If by 'runs into big punches all the time' you mean twice in his entire career ....against two elite strikers....both of whom he out struck and KO'd....then sure

<YeahOKJen>

Basics are called basics because they're important and fundamental. It always strikes me weird when people blow off things as being "basic" as if that means they're less polished or effective. The slick movements and set ups aren't obvious...but that's sort of the point, isn't it?

Even tho I favor Stipe to beat DC, I did notice that throughout his 7 year ufc career he has not faced 1 wrestler; Cain, Brock, Barnett, Blaydes. So he is going up against an Olympic wrestler in his first fight vs a primary wrestler.

And in the 2 fights Stipe had to go all 5 rounds vs JDS & Ngannou, Stipe got very tired. He gassed out vs JDS for sure, and vs Ngannou as well but Ngannou was exponentially more exausted so it wasnt as easy to notice.

DC really needs to avoid the straight right from Stipe, clinch him, take him down or wall-n-stall to tire him. Both guys prefer to pressure but I think DC would be wise to let Stipe pressure, then come up under that straight right into the clinch rather than trying to slip it. Use Stipe's momentum against him which nobody has tried to do yet.

Stipe has tremendous power as only the 260+ lbs of Hunt & Ngannou have been able to keep from getting KO'd cold. There is a path to victory here for DC but will his chin hold up & can he land some early takedowns?

I like this tactic to some degree. Stipe might decide to not over extend on his straight right to avoid DC from doing what you mentioned. Also this is resting time for Stipe if DC isnt pressuring. As long as its on the outside, Stipe is in total control of what is happening.

Basics are called basics because they're important and fundamental. It always strikes me weird when people blow off things as being "basic" as if that means they're less polished or effective. The slick movements and set ups aren't obvious...but that's sort of the point, isn't it?
He doesnt have slick movements. He has basic movements. If those are what impress you than so be it.

If by 'runs into big punches all the time' you mean twice in his entire career ....against two elite strikers....both of whom he out struck and KO'd....then sure

<YeahOKJen>
Stipe is perfect and the best fighter ever.

Genetic jackhammer

Something that Hardy brought up in his breakdown too is that Stipe isn't the type of fighter that needs space/distance to be effective. Gus and Jones both needed distance to work, but Stipe is best in the short range like Cormier. If you look at the Overeem KO, he KO'd him in the guard, and versus Arlovski, he KO'd him with a six inch arm punch. His ability to generate copious amounts of power in small distances is just silly scary.

If he looked like this, Sherdog would be hailing him the greatest fighter to ever set foot in the universe.

hqdefault.jpg

He's been taken down by JDS and gonzaga. No Nelson. Total time on his back? Less than a minute.

He doesn't chase with no head movement, parts of this post are just false. His head movement is outstanding for a heavyweight

Please tell me all the false parts of it. My mistake on Big Country. So far you have one thing you called out as wrong.

When he consciously uses it it's solid headmovement but he walks upright on a straight line which is why he walks right into hard shots, he also loads his right hand as bad as mediocre heavyweights and that causes him to get caught. So his headmovement overall is pretty bad.

He has less miles and/or is younger than majority of his opponents. He is fighting shopworn fighters who have taken plenty of beatings and KO losses.

The only time he fought a young and hungry fighter it was probably his least skilled opponent and he struggled to amount any offense.

Stipe is a solid fighter but he is far from best anything except maybe versatile jabs and a short path for his right hand.

ResponsibleScentedArcticfox.gif

BeneficialFlippantAdeliepenguin.gif

UFC161-NelsonXStipe-rd3-slowmo-2-400-sg.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

<1>{<doc}<{hfved}>

{<jordan}

Not slick at all!

That is some super slick shit man. Stipe is pretty damn good and its really his lack of charisma that keeps people from seeing it. If he had the personality there too his would be hailed as a monster.

Stipe makes me like Stipe even more though.

Back