Economy Stockton Universal Basic Income Outcomes

Quite frankly I'd be shocked if people WEREN'T happier by getting an extra $500/month when they're at those income levels.

Between my wife and I we make 10x their threshold and if someone walked up to me and handed me $500 cash just one time with no strings I'd be happier LOL.
I think the employment numbers are most fascinating.
When the program started in February 2019, 28% of the people slated to get the free money had full-time jobs. One year later, 40% of those people had full-time jobs. A control group of people who did not get the money saw a 5 percentage point increase in full-time employment over that same time period.

Maybe being happier made them try harder to land jobs, I don't know but it's interesting.

Was waiting for someone to make this thread -- interested if the advancement people who used the money to better themselves continued once they program ended. I find it odd the study seems to have concluded without tracking post progress.

So, the results are in from Stockton's UBI experiment.

For those that don't remember, Stockton gave $500 monthly to every family making less ~$45k. The general results show that people became more employed afterwards. 1% of the money was spent on alcohol or tobacco. People scored better on tests of depression and anxiety.

Basically, people acted responsibly and were happier members of society.

https://ktla.com/news/california/em...tons-universal-basic-income-experiment-study/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/03/03/stockton-universal-basic-income/
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/03/stocktons-basic-income-experiment-pays-off/618174/

I think the WashPo link is the most informative.

"Stockton gave $500 monthly to every family making less ~$45k."
^ the gov stole money from hard workers and gave it to lazy motherfuckers

Maybe being happier made them try harder to land jobs, I don't know but it's interesting.

There could be a motivational factor? Like... someone is investing me so I should try harder to make good on that investment. Also probably nuts and bolts stuff too. Cell phone bill is paid on time, don't miss call from potential employer. Internet doesn't get disconnected so able to see job posting right away. Can have reliable transportation to ensure making it to interviews.

If the sample size is 125 though, that's really small. That means out of 125 full time employment went from about 36 to about 50. Could be a huge variety of reasons, that's only 14 more people getting full time jobs.

Was waiting for someone to make this thread -- interested if the advancement people who used the money to better themselves continued once they program ended. I find it odd the study seems to have concluded without tracking post progress.
There is a follow up study scheduled to be published next year.

There could be a motivational factor? Like... someone is investing me so I should try harder to make good on that investment. Also probably nuts and bolts stuff too. Cell phone bill is paid on time, don't miss call from potential employer. Internet doesn't get disconnected so able to see job posting right away. Can have reliable transportation to ensure making it to interviews.

If the sample size is 125 though, that's really small. That means out of 125 full time employment went from about 36 to about 50. Could be a huge variety of reasons, that's only 14 more people getting full time jobs.
Gotta start somewhere.

Gotta start somewhere.

Yeah I wouldn't outright dismiss it as completely irrelevant, but nor would I think it is any sort of watershed thing that should be held up as a beacon for what's likely to happen everywhere.

If you’re making 45,000$ a year you’re up against it to say the least, and aren’t going to be able to do much beyond secure your means for tomorrow or next week. it probably gave them some breathing room to organize their lives. When you’re well organized you can build momentum. If You’re disorganized everything in life is more difficult. That’s my guess.

I’m starting to think we are already seeing UBI arise somewhat organically. Essentially, that’s what the continuing stimulus checks since 2008 have been. Our last Republican President was clamoring for even bigger stimulus checks. When you have the Conservative party endorsing entitlement spending, Overton’s Window has shifted. This will be the new norm, with gaps between stimulus checks decreasing until it becomes a regularity. The next financial crisis will cement it, I think.

I'd have to question how exactly the money spending was tracked, as obviously that data can be skewed by lying and "guess-timation".

Also, surely the recipients enjoyed getting the free money and would respond favorably to any questions that they felt would shine a positive light on the program, and potentially have it prolonged/expanded and receive MORE free money.

I’m starting to think we are already seeing UBI arise somewhat organically. Essentially, that’s what the continuing stimulus checks since 2008 have been. Our last Republican President was clamoring for even bigger stimulus checks. When you have the Conservative party endorsing entitlement spending, Overton’s Window has shifted. This will be the new norm, with gaps between stimulus checks decreasing until it becomes a regularity. The next financial crisis will cement it, I think.

You could argue the changes to the child tax credit could be a significant development to if that really does become monthly payments administered by SSA.

The reality is UBI is just a dumbed down form of the progressive tax system and redistribution we have today. What would be better is if the government could find more efficient ways to handle redistribution on more frequently intervals than each year on a tax return. We have some ways of doing that like estimating income withholdings but for the lower income brackets, there is room to improve on getting them the money monthly. That should really be the goal for at least the left leaning folks who like UBI. I don’t think it encompasses all supporters of it though but government does need to invest way more in being very good at funding specific groups quickly as possible if needed. It would help us in the long run with any crises that arise too.

So, the results are in from Stockton's UBI experiment.

For those that don't remember, Stockton gave $500 monthly to every family making less ~$45k. The general results show that people became more employed afterwards. 1% of the money was spent on alcohol or tobacco. People scored better on tests of depression and anxiety.

Basically, people acted responsibly and were happier members of society.

https://ktla.com/news/california/em...tons-universal-basic-income-experiment-study/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/03/03/stockton-universal-basic-income/
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/03/stocktons-basic-income-experiment-pays-off/618174/

I think the WashPo link is the most informative.
i'm in favour of UBI as a concept and practice

these links are very short/light on details/facts/data, they mention favourable outcomes but don't elaborate on the details

would like to see the methodology and data behind the study

Same negative righties/ Trumpies who think the worse of others over look the good in the study. It's almost as if they are miserable and want others to be miserable like them.

Back