Strength & Conditioning Concern

The Spiral

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Pretty new here, saw the pinned threads talking about increasing your strength. Pretty good stuff, although won't you lose dexterity/speed if you follow that program??

Also if you'd like to train Cardio & Speed, are there threads available for that? Normally I'd search it myself but the search function seems to be broken

Sport specific or just general cardio & speed for exercise interest? There are a bunch of runners lurking.
Exercise targeted towards combat sports. Because from what i seen on the forum, it's basically just Maximal strength... which slows you down in the long run. I'm trying to incorporate muscular endurance as well as speed into my program. If you know any threads i can check out that'd be sweet.

1700885468691.png

Exercise targeted towards combat sports. Because from what i seen on the forum, it's basically just Maximal strength... which slows you down in the long run. I'm trying to incorporate muscular endurance as well as speed into my program. If you know any threads i can check out that'd be sweet.

You're right about there being a lot of persuasion to the maximal strength side. Which isn't high priority across the lower-average weight classes. Within the month there may have been 2 threads asking about combat fitness. Should be on 1st page or 2.
There should be more discussion on explosive or endurance training. The SBD is the easiest to base judgement on, if you suck at those you're weak and not an athlete. Laying and standing still lifting balanced objects while covered in safety wrapping should be the end all topic of fitness.

Because from what i seen on the forum, it's basically just Maximal strength

That's because for a very long time, this was the Strength & Power forum and there was a separate Conditioning forum. S&P was geared almost exclusively toward powerlifting. Cardio was a four-letter word around here and the only speed that anyone cared about were Westside-style speed reps. Eventually, the two were merged and this became Strength & Conditioning. The threads are different now and a lot of the old members are gone, but the PL shadow still looms large over the forum.

For what it’s worth, which isn’t much, I believe that olympic lifting focused exercises will improve your explosivity, speed, balance, coordination, dexterity and mobility tremendously.

View attachment 1013030
For someone relatively untrained, which you probably are, maximal strength will not slow you down. Likely the opposite.

For someone relatively untrained, which you probably are, maximal strength will not slow you down. Likely the opposite.
This was what I was looking for, appreciate it man. Currently following the Candito Program, this is the link for the google spreadsheet for anyone reading in the future who might need help... Six Week Training Program

Currently at day two, don't really have a barbell at home, so I'm training with dumbbell variants. No idea what i should fill the "Optional Exercise" box with... but I'll figure it out eventually. If you guys got any advice I'd love to hear it

Dips or banded / weighted push ups
Solid suggestion. Settled for these optional exercises

Explosiveness: Unsure of the reps, but I'll do 6-8 per set for 3 sets.
- Squat Jumps
- Deep Squat jumps

Biceps: 8-12 reps for 3 sets
- Dumbbell Hammer Curls

Triceps: 8-12 reps for 3 sets
- Skull-Crushers

Added exercise: Weighted-Dips. With that the program should be complete really, appreciate the help

<{UberTS}>

Solid suggestion. Settled for these optional exercises

Explosiveness: Unsure of the reps, but I'll do 6-8 per set for 3 sets.
- Squat Jumps
- Deep Squat jumps

Biceps: 8-12 reps for 3 sets
- Dumbbell Hammer Curls

Triceps: 8-12 reps for 3 sets
- Skull-Crushers

Added exercise: Weighted-Dips. With that the program should be complete really, appreciate the help

<{UberTS}>
No prob. There's a Logs sub section if you want to post your journey or have a written copy you can browse back through in 3-6 months.
That spreadsheet will probably helps others come January when 50% of population finds the gym again.

While your goal may ultimately be power or speed, it is still beneficial to build a strong strength base. There's no reason not to follow a basic program and max out all the linear gains you can in the first year or two then transition into primarily speed/power based workouts. You can also just do block periodization to focus on different athletic qualities.

You can look into density type workouts. Try to do increasingly more calisthenics or light weighted exercises for a given time frame. So if a round is 3-5 minutes, you simulate it by doing as many chin ups, push ups, squats(or pistols), hang cleans, deadlifts, burpees/squat thrusts, lunges, etc in that 3-5 min interval. I remember a friend managed to do 100 squat thrusts/ burpees in 3 something minutes.

For weighted exercises it would be with weights of 30% of 1RM. The focus would be on speed and/or explosiveness, etc.

I highly recommend Ross Enamait's Infinite Intensity and Never Gymless. I have both of those manuals and he goes about how to target specific athletic qualities as well as what to do with minimal or no gym equipment. All his advice is also geared towards combat athletes so it's probably right up your alley.

Last edited:
Pretty new here, saw the pinned threads talking about increasing your strength. Pretty good stuff, although won't you lose dexterity/speed if you follow that program??

Also if you'd like to train Cardio & Speed, are there threads available for that? Normally I'd search it myself but the search function seems to be broken
Check out fahcoughs training log, theres a thread called kettlebell swingers club here in the S&C.... They should put you on the path I think your trying to go down to build functal strength and stamina that will directly transfer to grappling..... And the stickys have a well worded highly scientific article on conditioning you will probably learn alot from.

Check out fahcoughs training log, theres a thread called kettlebell swingers club here in the S&C.... They should put you on the path I think your trying to go down to build functal strength and stamina that will directly transfer to grappling..... And the stickys have a well worded highly scientific article on conditioning you will probably learn alot from.

House of 1000 lifts. It's not for everyone, very unconventional style of athletic training. No 2 are the same so it's easy to work around getting sore.

You definitely do not have to pursue maximal strength to its fullest. At some point you emphasize speed and conditioning if that is your goal while putting max strength on the back burner. Max strength however is the backbone to all qualities however so it should be included.

Speed/power exercises---sprints, jumps, olympic lift variants, dynamic effort barbell lifts. medicine ball throws, explosive pushups/pullups

conditioning----tempo runs, loaded carries, burpees, standard cardio like bike or rower, barbell complexes

Just some ideas there. What protocols you choose to emphasize is entirely dependent on your goals

I didn't see the program, but strength training correctly also improves mobility and flexibility. We all (edited) go through adaptive shortening, so including gymnastic exercise (think wrestling or judo practice warmups) and proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation (PNF) stretching should cover you in the long run. The benefit of PNF is that muscle lengthening is neurologically mediated rather that doing a mechanical stretch of the muscles and connective tissues.

PNF also works very much like isometrics which also improve tendon strength. It speaks "force", which is the language of tendons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lessconaga
Back