Stretches /exercises for bulging discs

machomang

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have 2 bulging discs in my lower back. It was diagnosed last year with an mri. The pain wasn't bad unless I stood up for a long time. I was able to lift and still train lightly but during the quarantine, I must have aggravated it somehow because now the pain can be unbearable if I'm standing to just wash dishes.

I was wondering if there was anything you guys have done as far as stretches or exercises that helped reduce the pain and to even help heal it.

I did buy kelley starrets book "becoming a supple leopard" and was hopeful when I heard firas zahabi on jre talking about how he fully recovered by doing the lacrosse ball thing which i was doing as well as home workouts (kettlebell swings and burpees.) I'm afraid I either did the pt wrong or maybe the exercises is what aggravated it but I'm putting the lacrosse balls on hold until the pain subsides.

Any suggestions???

The videos above are all things I did in PT when I had lower back issues. The prone press ups (lying down on your stomach and lifting your upper body while on your forearms) were most important for me. They also made me do core exercises. I had to do planks and side planks, three 30 second holds for each kind. You will want to maintain these exercises even after you get better. Yoga incorporates a lot of these exercises/stretches as well. Once you are feeling better you may want to try some yoga. You can find a lot of free yoga on YouTube.

Back pain really sucks. Hope you feel better soon.

I've got degeneration L4-S1 and some times no matter what I do I can't train. That being said, I do Eldoa stretches to create some space in the vertebrae, yoga and I steal alot of stuff from Smashwerx on YouTube. I was going to get PRP before everything got locked down but that won't happen for a while now.

Back