Strikers turned Grapplers in mma

Megan started to panic wrestle after 1 minute against Nunes

Gsp comes from a karate background but that guy never fought like a striker, don't know why people say that. Go look up his earliest fights even before he was in the ufc and he was predominantly a grappler

Glover always had a ground game but was more known for his striking when he was younger. Lately he’s been fucking people up bad on the ground.
I think he's just adjusted cos he's a lot slower standing and is much older with a lot of wear and tear. He's the best grappler at LHW right now so why not use it

Yan also. But it's more takedowns/throws/trips/sweeps and TDD but he doesn't seem to follow them on the ground like GSP would. Most strikers just focus on defensive grappling. Not many striking based fighters practice offensive grappling like GSP did.
Yans a grappler?

Seems like a lot of people completely missed the point of the thread. I think ts was meaning fighters who adopted the opposite style as their main method of competing, not just a one or two fight adaptation.

It is interesting that it is mostly wrestlers that turn into strikers and not the other way. The fact that GSP was out wrestling wrestlers after only adopting that style late is pretty cool if you think about it. He seemed to have the right mix whenever needed.

Seems like a lot of people completely missed the point of the thread. I think ts was meaning fighters who adopted the opposite style as their main method of competing, not just a one or two fight adaptation.

It is interesting that it is mostly wrestlers that turn into strikers and not the other way. The fact that GSP was out wrestling wrestlers after only adopting that style late is pretty cool if you think about it. He seemed to have the right mix whenever needed.
that's exactly what I meant

is it actually more difficult or do wrestlers become strikers because it's more fan friendly?
That's a very good question. I have been training MMA since 2013 and come from a wrestling base. I would venture to say that it's just difficult to eat, sleep, and breathe wrestling if you aren't training for a wrestling match. A lot of the subtleties in wrestling, particularly from bottom and top position, just don't seem worthwhile to train for MMA I would guess, but at the same time, they do lend themselves very well (i.e. stand ups or 2 on 1 wrist control from referee's position). I would also venture to say that perhaps a good deal of reasoning has to do with the fact that all fights start standing and at a distance. As a wrestler, you have a large burden by default in that you have to surpass some big hurdle steps to even utilize your strengths; because of this, perhaps fighters that are already acquainted with striking opt to use wrestling merely to supplement their offense? I have never competed in MMA, so perhaps someone with experience can better explain than me.

I'am talking about his grappling takedowns/trips/sweeps/throws. That's still grappling, just not on the ground. Yan doesn't like to follow them on the ground after though, unlike GSP who does.
Yeah -- Yan has phenomenal defensive wrestling as well as some good positional posturing, but he seemingly doesn't pursue it.

Rhonda kinda went the other way, once she grappled you down it was pretty much game over. The minute she tried to stand and strike, she got kicked in the neck by Holly and brutalized by Nunes
To her credit neither of them gave her any choice but to stand and bang. Nunes has a judo background too and just pushed her hips away.

Back