Social Student gets suspended for saying "illegal aliens" in class after hearing it from the News

No, now.

Their reporting is really solid, but because they don't push thin stories that are pure conservative propaganda, you call them biased.

They used to be considered conservative propaganda, but that wasn't really true. They just mirrored whatever story the White House wanted, and that was support for the war. That wasn't conservative, that was everyone.

Conservatives don't like NPR because they don't publish bullshit conservative stories like the lab leak or Hunter's laptop. If you had any understanding of journalism you'd appreciate those aren't responsible, substantiated stories. Even now when someone publishes that a leak is "possible" conservatives claim that's a confirmation it happened.

If you want to insist they're biased, provide a few examples of biased stories they've published and make sure those stories are false. Your best bet would be a Rittenhouse story, a lot of the media got that wrong. I doubt they did but it's definitely possible, especially if their staff is predominantly liberal.
I guess we'll have to see how things go under Katherine Maher.

Give the N word less power and use it. Lets see how that works out for you.
Way to completely miss the point.

Some words are legitimately the wrong thing to say. Others have been morphed into that by simple-minded people who want to be offended about something.

Way to completely miss the point.

Some words are legitimately the wrong thing to say. Others have been morphed into that by simple-minded people who want to be offended about something.

Any word can become offensive if racist morons like you keep use it in a negative connotation. Hate is hate whatever words you hide it behind.
The difference with slurs is that they are never able to be used in a positive light without offending someone.

This seems like a case where there's either some information missing, or it was genuinely handled poorly.

It's mostly fine for the school to determine that XYZ words and terms are not acceptable for one reason or another, but that should be a matter of policy before hand and not ex post facto.

However context matters, and the parties in the room are better equipped to determine the intent of the speaker than an online karate forum.

I guess we'll have to see how things go under Katherine Maher.

I don't know much about her but hope her appointment wasn't the result of the constant assault on journalism by conservatives.

Any word can become offensive if racist morons like you keep use it in a negative connotation. Hate is hate whatever words you hide it behind.
The difference with slurs is that they are never able to be used in a positive light without offending someone.
Wow. Go ahead and put me on ignore you moron.

This kid was definitely not asking a genuine question and was trying to stir things up though in fairness he could've just as easily been trying to be funny rather than offensive. Suspending him for three days seems way too harsh even if he was trying to be offensive but at the same time it is interesting that a kid being suspended for a few days can snowball into an act of oppression that generates an outrage campaign online.

Sounds like the school overreacting to a very old and benign joke.

We need Obama back, as much as he funded woke student groups, was a war hawk, and made cringe jokes, at least he knew how to keep the taco Klingons in check.

This kid was definitely not asking a genuine question and was trying to stir things up though in fairness he could've just as easily been trying to be funny rather than offensive. Suspending him for three days seems way too harsh even if he was trying to be offensive but at the same time it is interesting that a kid being suspended for a few days can snowball into an act of oppression that generates an outrage campaign online.
It isn't very clear that it was not a genuine question to me. That's exactly how a 16 year old would word that, whether they were being funny or not.

How is that offensive. If you're hispanic and are legally in the US, then you are not an "illegal" alien. Is "illegal" hispanic a better term? Im not sure what is the offensive word is here, is it alien?
Its a typical class clown bit, using a question as a guise to say something funny or provocative. It only works if the question on its face and out of context seems reasonable. I'm not saying the student was at fault here, he might've been trying to be funny and meant no offense and it is weird that he got suspended just for that.
It isn't very clear that it was not a genuine question to me. That's exactly how a 16 year old would word that, whether they were being funny or not.
That's possible but even if it wasn't the case I think the suspension seems egregious.

I won't remember her name tomorrow, but it's hilarious that you're linking to hotair.com in a discussion about media bias.
Oh I know . . . I fully expected you to hone in on the hot air link . . . :)

Back