Submissions are banned in PA, who knew?

RadBoy

He conquers who endures
Reaction score
Taken from the following link...

http://www.grapplers.com/zone/news.cfm?news_story_id=210

Did you know Submissions were illegal in Pennsylvania?

Unfortunately, we didn't either, but with the pressure of the pending approval of Mixed Martial Arts in the State of Pennsylvania, the Athletic Commission, most likely, doesn't want to risk any injuries in any type of event involving submissions and unfortunately, Submission Grappling (and our event) gets the bad end of the stick.

Hopefully, once the official legislation of MMA comes through for PA, Submission Grappling and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu events will be allowed in their State once again, because it would be a shame to never be able to host a grappling event in PA. The Pennsylvania State Athletic Commissioner, Greg Sirb is a good guy and he is working hard to get our Combat Sports approved with his State, so I'm sure one day, we'll be back.

I'd like to personally thank members of the New Jersey State Athletic Commission, Phil Migliarese and the entire Balance Studios Family, and Olympic Judo Gold Medalist for placing calls on our behalf to the PA State Athletic Director, Greg Sirb.

We scrambled to find some alternate venues in New Jersey, but in the height of basketball season, venues are few and far between. I'm very sad to announce the official cancellation of our November 10th-11th event scheduled in Philadelphia.

Again, I'm very sorry for the inconvenience and disappointment, obviously, we are as shocked and upset as anyone, but in the event promotion business, sometimes things like this happen and must continue to move forward. We promise to continue to work harder and ensure this never occurs again and hope everyone will continue to support us for many years to come.

If you pre-registered and would like a refund OR you can use the credit towards any future event of your choice PLUS get a FREE Grapplers Quest DVD and T-Shirt, please email: [email protected]

See everyone on October 6th at Grapplers Quest in NEW JERSEY!

Now, isn't that some f'd up shit.

Um ... judo has submissions, and it's an olympic sport. I'd be willing to bet that there are judo tournaments in PA. Something doesn't sound right :icon_surp

Is it becaus eyou offer prize money and therefore the event is considered professional? I cannot see why or how an athletic commision could ban any amateur event, Pennsylvania has had many submission grappling events (last week in Pittsburgh) in the past and many more scheduled for the future.

I hate living in PA...there are only a few tourneys all yr and now this crap

Um ... judo has submissions, and it's an olympic sport. I'd be willing to bet that there are judo tournaments in PA. Something doesn't sound right :icon_surp

they probably do, and they just had a BJJ tournament last weekend, but that doesn't mean it was technically legal

WTF! thats the dumbest thing Ive ever heard...and i was looking forward to the Copa Atlantica too.

Tony's prob gonna be pissed as well.

WTF! thats the dumbest thing Ive ever heard...and i was looking forward to the Copa Atlantica too.

Tony's prob gonna be pissed as well.

I was gonna try to goto that as well. It was gonna be my first tourney. Oh well.

I was just at a BJJ tournament last weekend in Pittsburgh.

I wish just at a BJJ tournament last weekend in Pittsburgh.

then you my friend, have broken the law :icon_evil

lol, now you can say you did an illegal, underground kumite :icon_chee

but I bet boxing is still allowed. I love the logic, I can beat someone in the head till they are knocked out, but I can not choke someone till they ask me to stop. I swear it's the cage that gives mma the bad image.

I was gonna try to goto that as well. It was gonna be my first tourney. Oh well.

its all good, theres still the NAGA the next weekend that hopefully we'll be going to.

Damn. A bunch of us from my school were going to go to this, since it's only about 1.5 hours away. Now I feel like I need to do Jersey next weekend, even though I don't think I'm ready, and I'll prolly go alone.

The problem with the NJ events (and I mean no disrespect) is that they are always in some hard to find ghetto neighborhood. Pa would have so many better places that are more central to Ohio, NY, MD schools

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back