Sugar: Is it bad for a healthy person?

Paedde

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Fat used to be the devil. These days it seems to be sugar.

I am healthy and bulking at the moment. I do quite a bit of BJJ so it's really hard to gain weight while just eating clean. I drink a lot of chocolate milk and regular milk, which makes it easy to reach my calorie goal.

But you have no idea how many people try to get me to stop with the sugar... Apparently it's going to kill me...

Is there anything bad about sugar if you don't have diabetes? Apart from the insulin spike which must suck if you try to lose weight, but that's a non-issue for me.

I haven't found it an issue with me, about 1/2 of my carbs come from sugar. I don't count sugar, just the carbs instead so whatever amount of sugar I take in is random. Yesterday I had 224g out of 530g carbs. On a cut, I don't restrict it either.

I haven't had any issues in training, or in the ring either. For long term diabetes I'll have to look into that for myself, but I think if the amount taken in is excessively high. Gorging obese level calories of processed sugar daily, I'm guessing.

There's nothing bad about sugar. A large portion of my calories comes from sugar (fruits, fruit juices, some added sugars). On average I get about 150g per day, and about another 150-250g of starch.

The problems with sugar come when your diet isn't micronutrient rich (particularly in potassium, magnesium, thiamine, pantothenic acid, and niacin).

Everythings ok in moderation... I'm pretty sure i read somewhere that more than 37 grams of sugar a day is enough to kill you in the long term....i mean cmon, where do they get this rubbish from?

Everythings ok in moderation... I'm pretty sure i read somewhere that more than 37 grams of sugar a day is enough to kill you in the long term....i mean cmon, where do they get this rubbish from?
I'm starting to think thats where all the advocates get it. A few guys at the gym trying to force this down to the rest of the aspiring competitiots around this time of last year. Something like, limit sugar to 50 grams a day, or you'll gas within the first round. Don't eat white rice/bread cause it'll do that as well. Drink Vega based protein cause regular protein has processed material that'll cause you to gas as well.

I gotta admit, it was pretty funny hearing it all camp long.

I'm starting to think thats where all the advocates get it. A few guys at the gym trying to force this down to the rest of the aspiring competitiots around this time of last year. Something like, limit sugar to 50 grams a day, or you'll gas within the first round. Don't eat white rice/bread cause it'll do that as well. Drink Vega based protein cause regular protein has processed material that'll cause you to gas as well.

I gotta admit, it was pretty funny hearing it all camp long.

Bro-science...its everywhere

I think it depends where the sugar comes from. Sugar in fruit is absorbed slower since fruit has fiber and other things, but adding straight white sugar to drinks is probably absorbed faster which might affect blood sugar levels differently.

I think it depends where the sugar comes from. Sugar in fruit is absorbed slower since fruit has fiber and other things, but adding straight white sugar to drinks is probably absorbed faster which might affect blood sugar levels differently.

Pure white sugar has a lower glycemic index than potatoes and bread.

But not like it matters... glycemic index is mostly useless anyway.

Other than tooth decay (not that that is limited to sugar - starches can be just as bad), added sugar is just added calories with no nutritional value.
If you look at eating as a task where you try to get decent levels of the wide variety of nutrients that we need and benefit us without overeating calories, then you can't generally afford to be wasting too many calories on nutrient-free sugar.

IMO whether it contributes to half the health problems people claim it does doesn't really matter if you just try to eat a decent variety nutrient rich foods in reasonably quantities - because if you do then the chances are you won't be eating a ton of added sugar anyway.

Stop drinking milk, it's unhealthy.
Try non-dairy milks like almond or hazelnut milk.

Interesting, care to elaborate?

Not much to elaborate on, other than 95% of the studies on controlling glycemic index haven't shown any health benefits. The only thing I've found conclusively on glycemic index is that high GI foods prior to activity increase sports performance.

Stop drinking milk, it's unhealthy.
Try non-dairy milks like almond or hazelnut milk.

Well this is just flat out wrong.

Well this is just flat out wrong.

So it's flatout wrong that milk is rich in saturated fat and is linked to heart disease, that it's actually bad for your bones, it's linked to prostate cancer, that 75% of people are lactose intolerant and that it contains a lot of pesticides (though you could avoid this problem by drinking raw milk)? And there are many more problems with milk, just do some research.

So it's flatout wrong that milk is rich in saturated fat and is linked to heart disease, that it's actually bad for your bones, it's linked to prostate cancer, that 75% of people are lactose intolerant and that it contains a lot of pesticides (though you could avoid this problem by drinking raw milk)? And there are many more problems with milk, just do some research.

Yup, that's all pretty much 100% flat out wrong.

Done my research. M.Sc. in Pharmacy and Nutrition, what's up?

Drinking raw milk is a great idea if you want to increase your chances of becoming very ill.

Fine. Tell me why, instead of bragging about a degree.

I'm more than content ending this argument with a very succinct "you're wrong" because I'm not the one making ridiculous claims. If you're that invested in the argument, find real studies (not Livestrong articles or anything that makes reference to the China study) to support your position and convince everyone here how right you are.

Back