SUMO - 2014 Aki Basho (Sept. 14th - 28th)

looks like one of his knees is a lot more bandaged up than usual. aminishiki has an ACL (i think) injury on one of his legs too.

and yeah, yoshikaze looked great against goeido. always nice to see a cool kimarite like that too.

ichinojo continues to be impressive. i think he's making some mistakes, and eventually he might pay for the pulling attacks he tries, but he's doing really well for a makuuchi debutant.

let me reiterate, ichinojos a monster. doing well, good on him

also happy with the egyptian

great kisenpsato win. and has goueido always done the hahuho slap?

yoshikaze/harumafuji was an explosive bout. i really hope haru's eye isnt seriously injured

oh and it seems aoiyama has more losses falling forward than backward

Ichinojo is looking real good. He seems to a a little problem when the other rikishi get their hands in his face but recovers well.

I'm bummed for Endo. Osunaarashi had a good win.

Glad to see the yokozunas work for the victory. Harumafuji's eye doesn't look great, hoping it's not serious.

let me reiterate, ichinojos a monster. doing well, good on him

absolutely. man, i really expected him to struggle more than this in his first tournament. of course it's just started and there's still time for him to start picking up losses, but he's gotten off to a fantastic start.

and a lot of the underdogs in the final matches put up great fights. like linthec said, terunofuji vs. kisenosato was awesome. and endo put up a good fight against kotoshogiku's deadly gabburi yori attack. same goes for takayasu against hakuho.

i really couldn't see what happened to harumafuji's eye. since yoshikaze is such a frenetic guy it's really hard to tell, but i assume he must have gotten inadvertently poked. too bad about the hair-pulling.

I've always wanted to keep up with Sumo and watch big events as they happen. I love the future lol. This tournament has been pretty awesome so far, Ichinojo, Terunofuji, and Hakuho have been especially great. I'm looking forward to Ichinojo facing better guys, him against Terunofuji would be sick.

Too bad about Harumafuji.... looked like a nasty injury and was swelling up fast. Hope he recovers well and soon.

Brutal. Should have known Haru wasn't coming out today.

So what exactly is the schedule for this tournament? Will we see Ichinojo compete agagainst the higher ranked guys? He's looked unstoppable, that match today was epic. Hakuho is making everyone look like amateurs.

Last edited:
So what exactly is the schedule for this tournament? Will we see Ichinojo compete agagainst the higher ranked guys? He's looked unstoppable, that match today was epic. Hakuho is making everyone look like amateurs.

yeah if one guy, who is ranked lower down in the division, goes undefeated for 10 days or so or looks like he's in a position to win the championship, they'll start matching him up against the top ranked guys who he normally wouldn't face. that way they avoid the problem of a guy winning the championship without beating the best.

so if ichinojo can keep this up, we'll start to see him against the guys at the top in the second week.

more great matches on day 5. any day with an awesome tokitenku trip is a good day in my book. sokokurai vs. takanoiwa was fantastic too. really back and forth, and it's always great to see sokokurai get a win.

it sucks that harumafuji had to drop out, but his eye did look in pretty bad shape yesterday so i'm not too surprised. i don't know what exactly happened to it, but hopefully it's nothing too serious.

Too bad about Harumafuji.... looked like a nasty injury and was swelling up fast. Hope he recovers well and soon.

In Kintamayama's day 5 recap it said 3 months to heal with surgery, 1 month without.

How come on day 3 Ichinojou didn't have a top knot?

How come on day 3 Ichinojou didn't have a top knot?

I've noticed that as well. Is it because he's not yet earned the right to wear one?

it's because he's only been in sumo for a few tournaments and his hair simply hasn't grown long enough yet. the lower division wrestlers (below Juryo) aren't allowed to wear the fan-shaped topknots that the upper division guys wear called oicho-mage, because they haven't earned the right, but sometimes upper division guys simply can't wear their hair in that style.

when Endo first started competing in the top division he also didn't have long enough hair for a topknot. now that his hair has grown out a bit he is able to wear the more simple topknot but his hair is still not long enough for the full oicho-mage.

it's because he's only been in sumo for a few tournaments and his hair simply hasn't grown long enough yet. the lower division wrestlers (below Juryo) aren't allowed to wear the fan-shaped topknots that the upper division guys wear called oicho-mage, because they haven't earned the right, but sometimes upper division guys simply can't wear their hair in that style.

when Endo first started competing in the top division he also didn't have long enough hair for a topknot. now that his hair has grown out a bit he is able to wear the more simple topknot but his hair is still not long enough for the full oicho-mage.

Oh ok cool. I was confused. I thought it was an absolute requirement. Like "oh you have short hair? Come back later bro" if you even showed up to a stable on your first day lol

Ichinojo is surprising me. I thought he'd be too slow and inexperienced to beat some of the guys he has, such as Tochiozan. But I really don't see him beating the top top guys who are good on the belt, because Ichinojo isn't opportunistic, instead he settles and gives them time to work him. Still I'd like to see him against Kisenosato. 2 immovable objects lol.

Wow, great matches today. Ichinojo is still up there with the undefeated Yokuzuna. He'll run in to a defeat at some point, but he's had great matches so far, either completely outclasses them in grappling, or pulls off the long match comeback. I really love Shouhouzan's style as well, reminds me of E. Honda.

Back