SUMO - 2016 Aki Basho (Sept. 11th - 25th) (bonus GAME hosted by Gorgonon)

great match between harumafuji and yoshikaze. those guys are so fast and exciting.

kakuryu better shape up.

in case you missed it, be sure to watch Ura vs. Osunaarashi from down in Juryo:

it's looking like we should be expecting big things from Ura.

Whoa. I was looking for Osunaarashi in the daily highlights. Didn't realize he had been bumped down to Juryo. Bummer. I liked the "feel-good-ness" of his story.

great match between harumafuji and yoshikaze. those guys are so fast and exciting.

kakuryu better shape up.

It's crazy how sumo has the potential for almost fight-like violence and intensity. This is the kind of match I would show to a friend who is into MMA to break their preconceptions about sumo..

True Boss level with Harumafuji giving extensive nodowa choke on Day 1 to show whose the head Yokozuna in charge since Hakuho gone:

EYEahmG.gif

All it needs is that "Deal With It" graphic with the little sunglasses lowering down to Haru's Steel Glare. :cool:

close match for kakuryu, he was lucky to get out of there with a win.

day 5:

love the power sumo battle between tochinoshin and kakuryu.

My impressions of Day 7, close to midway point:

• Amikaze beloved, looks like a fun guy, I want to know more about him and his outlook, an interview would be great.

• Gagamaru is getting better, but Ikioi was underhanded in his victory. Bloodied Gaga in the face with an extra swat, watching out to see if heel turn imminent.

• Is Shohozan considered a power rikishi? Lots of drive.

• Chiyoshoma showing some gall with the face slap of elder opponent.

• Shohozan took that personally, sent a little message to the rookie

• That's it, I'm on the Mitakeumi train. He's ready for Okinomi now. Total dominance, he's got the confidence and air of an upper ranker.

• Takekaze a little pitbull, one to watch, got that drive, too.

• Cant see how Aoiyama and Tochinoshin going to get back in Upper Ranks with these kinds of matches. Both having another flat tournament.

• Finally Chiyonokuni is showing some fighting spirit! The Chiyo boys may just make a decent Basho out of this!

• Kisenosato and Takarafuji was a great belt match (trying to use that term for first time, is that the right way @GoForkYourself ?)

• Kotoshogiku looked like a power Ozeki, made Yoshikaze seem timid, he kinda gave up on the counterattack.

• That was incredible of Okinoiki even tip toeing on that hay bale like it was a tightrope or something, but Goeido with the strategic mind had a plan and executed it masterfully.

• And what an accomplishment for Okinoumi for what he did, he's in the record books for sure, but if he pulled this off? First in all of Sumo history!!! Would have been incredible. Goeido the man, deservedly.

• Man! Did Takayasu have a great match or what! In fine form, he's definitely feeling that Sekiwake Title.

• Also, they gave a part of an interview after the match!!! This is what I've been waiting for! I hope there is a show devoted to just this. Does anybody know if there is a subbed Rikishi interview show? Like an aftershow for the Sumo where they break it down?

• I get the sense from his mini-interview that Takayasu is a very serious, intense guy who has a solitary and noble stare. Wish they did this after EVERy match!

• Great last match, Harumafuji showed such fine form in that throw, like he was stiring the pot or something!!

My impressions of Day 7, close to midway point:

• Amikaze beloved, looks like a fun guy, I want to know more about him and his outlook, an interview would be great.

• Gagamaru is getting better, but Ikioi was underhanded in his victory. Bloodied Gaga in the face with an extra swat, watching out to see if heel turn imminent.

• Is Shohozan considered a power rikishi? Lots of drive.

• Chiyoshoma showing some gall with the face slap of elder opponent.

• Shohozan took that personally, sent a little message to the rookie

• That's it, I'm on the Mitakeumi train. He's ready for Okinomi now. Total dominance, he's got the confidence and air of an upper ranker.

• Takekaze a little pitbull, one to watch, got that drive, too.

• Cant see how Aoiyama and Tochinoshin going to get back in Upper Ranks with these kinds of matches. Both having another flat tournament.

• Finally Chiyonokuni is showing some fighting spirit! The Chiyo boys may just make a decent Basho out of this!

• Kisenosato and Takarafuji was a great belt match (trying to use that term for first time, is that the right way @GoForkYourself ?)

• Kotoshogiku looked like a power Ozeki, made Yoshikaze seem timid, he kinda gave up on the counterattack.

• That was incredible of Okinoiki even tip toeing on that hay bale like it was a tightrope or something, but Goeido with the strategic mind had a plan and executed it masterfully.

• And what an accomplishment for Okinoumi for what he did, he's in the record books for sure, but if he pulled this off? First in all of Sumo history!!! Would have been incredible. Goeido the man, deservedly.

• Man! Did Takayasu have a great match or what! In fine form, he's definitely feeling that Sekiwake Title.

• Also, they gave a part of an interview after the match!!! This is what I've been waiting for! I hope there is a show devoted to just this. Does anybody know if there is a subbed Rikishi interview show? Like an aftershow for the Sumo where they break it down?

• I get the sense from his mini-interview that Takayasu is a very serious, intense guy who has a solitary and noble stare. Wish they did this after EVERy match!

• Great last match, Harumafuji showed such fine form in that throw, like he was stiring the pot or something!!

yeah, they always do interviews when an ozeki or yokozuna is beaten by a lower ranked guy. they don't always show them on the highlights show, but they're always on the NHK broadcast.

and i'd say shohozan is for sure a strong guy, but he's also a bit smaller and can use a really ferocious Yoshikaze-style attack.

and yeah, kisenosato vs. takarafuji was a great belt match. like hiro morita, the commentator, said, the first to get the strong right hand grip on the mawashi was in a great position.

Day 8.
Stoked on goueidou. He looks awesome. Glad the good Endo is back. Kakuryu looks weak.

Day 9- these last 5 days are going to be awesome.
definitely. however this all works out, it should be an interesting result. i guess this is the kind of thing that can happen when hakuho isn't around, but there are a lot of other dynamics going on in this tournament as well.

Do you guys think Aki Basho is just as exciting as last Basho? The overhanging inevitability of Kisenosato automatically becoming yokozuna if he wins made him being in the mix at the end so exhilarating as well as bittersweet.

It's like the rest of the Upper Rankers that weren't yokozuna had a meeting during the break and got pissed that Kise had that kind of favoritism. With Hakuho down, and Kise not looking strong, this Basho is like a power vacuum and became an all out mob war, with even the rank and filers knocking on the door (Endo, Okinoumi) feel like they can take a Top Spot merely with more aggression and a Basho win. It's like a rush job!!

This is like the perfect time to be a new fan, I feel so blessed to have found Fork's Sumo Thread and started out with two very dramatic and exciting Basho this season! :D

Day 10-

Day 11- I yelled at my computer when Kisenosato started pushing Goueido

Day 11

Takarafuji proved why I am a fan and still will be. Great heart!

Goeido with the football tackle, wrapping the leg up and following through!

Takayasu showed whose boss, he likes the air up there at the Upper Rankers spot, and seems to be getting comfy for the long haul.

Day 12- If Goueido takes out Harumafuji tomorrow, he has this basho in the bag.

Day 12

DId they always have that cushion warning or is that something new? I never knew throwing the seat cushion would be dangerous, do they have open flames there or are the cushions lined with lead or something? o_O

Goeido so close to being toppled. I say the old man takes him down a step and the beginnings of the Aki 2016 playoffs will begin to formulate! :D

Boy, Shodai can take an open handed slap like the best of 'em, and have the poise to come back and win it, too!

Day 13- That stare down!! Even though Goueido was in danger of losing his rank this basho, do you think, because he is Japanese, that a zensho-yusho would put him in consideration for Yokozuna? I'm aware that he is super inconsistent, but this could lead to the first Japanese Yokozuna in 13 years.

Last edited:
Day 13- That stare down!! Even though Goueido was in danger of losing his rank this basho, do you think, because he is Japanese, that a zensho-yusho would put him in consideration for Yokozuna? I'm aware that he is super inconsistent, but this could lead to the first Japanese Yokozuna in 13 years.

The staredown was incredible! Intense match, too. I've been a Goueido fan for a long while now, and a big part of that is his exciting occasional kubinage victories from the verge of defeat. This has been a gratifying basho for me.

I think because of his inconsistency they're more likely to tell him that if he can get another one or 2 yusho with 12 victories they'll give him the tsuna.

Kinda reminding me of Harumafuji right now.

Back