SUMO - 2016 Natsu Basho (May 8th - May 22nd)

Fork

Sumo
@Gold
Reaction score
The time has come for another sumo tournament, so let's get right to the rankings:

sumo_2016_3_banzuke.png

The only wrestler debuting in the top division this time is Nishigiki. He's coming off of a good tournament at Juryu 2, so we'll see how he does here at the bottom of the top division. We're also seeing the return of two fan favorites, with Endo and Osunaarashi coming back to the top division after some time in the second highest division. They both had very good records last time and jumped way up the rankings (although Endo was ranked relatively low in Juryo so hasn't climed very high into the Makuuchi division).

Tochiozan dropped pretty far down after a poor performance at Komosubi, and after climbing to the sanyaku Tochinoshin has had three successive losing tournaments, so he'll be trying to turn things around this time and I'd expect him to be able to. On the other hand, Kaisei is, somewhat surprisingly, making his sanyaku debut this tournament which will be fun to see. Kotoyuki has also turned his recent success into a sanyaku debut, and he had a great tournament last time so hopefully he can continue that momentum.

Last tournament was a good one for Goeido and Kisenosato, and while I don't really expect Goeido to repeat his success, it would be nice to see more challenges for the yusho being presented by the Ozeki. Hopefully Harumafuji and Kakuryu can do better this time, and I'm still disappointed with Hakuho from last tournament for his final day "win" over Harumafuji.

-----------------------------

So there we go!

Stay tuned to Kintamayama's YouTube Channel for daily highlights of the top division.

And as usual, for anyone who'll be watching the sport for the first time, please feel free to ask any questions you might have here and someone will try to answer them. Also be sure to check out my Introduction to SUMO thread for a brief (although slightly outdated at this point) overview of the sport.

Hakke-yoi!

shame it's not all of the matches are on here, but it's something anyway:

i'll post a better video if i can find one.

right on. good first two days. hakuho unsure if he's going full heel this tournament?
hahaha, it's so weird to see hakuho turning into a bad guy at this stage of his career.

and here's a video of the japanese NHK Digest version of day 2:

not sure if the rest of the days will be available like that, but i hope so.

kintamayama's "very partial" day 3:

i haven't watched this, but it may be all of the day 3 matches, but obviously in terrible quality:

good quality video of the final match of the day, harumafuji against ichinojo:

flooding this thread with videos now, but here's a good quality video of the NHK Digest version of highlights for day 3:

WAR TAKANO...oh...oh yeah...hm...

WAR SANDSTORM

Kintamayama said Kisenosato will be promoted to Yokozuna if he goes 14-1? WTF is that nonsense? Talk about the least deserving promotion of all time.

Kintamayama said Kisenosato will be promoted to Yokozuna if he goes 14-1? WTF is that nonsense? Talk about the least deserving promotion of all time.

He's been kinda hot and cold this past year hasn't he? Is there an age that wrestlers try to hit Yokozuna by or else it pretty much isn't gonna happen?
Also, Endo not looking too bad so far.

yeah i was surprised to see that as well.

haven't gotten the NHK digest videos the last few days unfortunately, but here's Kintamayama's day 8 anyway:

Terunofuji should take some time off. Guy hasn't been the same since the injury.

was a day late and just caught up on day 8. osunaarashi vs. tochinoshin was an awesome power vs. power battle.

day 9 from kintamayama:

Back