SUMO - 2023 Aki Basho (Sept 10th - Sept 24th)

Possible bone fragment from his vertebral endplate, isn't going to have surgery, and wants to be in the Kyushu basho... Would you kindly not try to be in the Kyushu basho? Jesus H Christ.

Bet they regret not promoting Takakeisho after November/January. Could've had a whole ass Yokozuna.

Bet they regret not promoting Takakeisho after November/January. Could've had a whole ass Yokozuna.
Wow, how did I not realize Takakeisho was yokozuna-eligible after November/January? I feel like we didn't talk about that enough.

What I want to know is if the Yokozuna Council regrets their failure to promote ozeki Konishiki in the early 90s. Look at this stretch from May 91 to March 92:

14-1-P jun-yusho
12-3 jun-yusho
11-4
13-2 yusho
12-3
13-2 yusho

That's 75 wins out of 91, two yushos, and two jun-yushos in 12 months.

If ever there was a case for retroactively declaring someone a yokozuna this would be it.

The only reason I hesitate is because his later career performances were not yokozuna level. But if he'd been promoted perhaps he would have sat out more tournaments or retired earlier.

I'm hyped for the basho but also a little stressed.
Terunofuji is out, obviously. Asanoyama is out. Takakeisho is dealing with neck issues but Wakatakakage is back at Makushita 6
Last Basho was so weird too. In the last 3 days, almost 6 guys could have won — including Hokuseiho!

Back