Sunflower State Games 2018 (Topeka, Kansas)

evansusmc2

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Yep, I competed in this. Before this, I hadn't competed since 2016. It felt good to get back into it.

So here's my story.

DIVISION: Male 40+ Blue belt 195-207 lbs

I only had one gi Match. He was pretty heavy. In fact there was no way he made the 207 pound weight limit but I didn't care to say anything about it at that point. After some grip fighting I was able to shoot in a power single leg and take him down. From there I never let him up. Side, full, and back take. Tried to sink in an arm triangle choke but he just wasn't budging. He was strong enough to position himself and hold out. Time expired and I won 9-0.

I found out later that the third guy in the round robin bracket arrived, collected his shirt and entrance pass, weighed in and left. Guess he got cold feet.

IMG_0618.PNG IMG_0617.PNG IMG_0575.JPG

DIVISION: Male 40+ No-Gi Intermediate 188-207

In no-gi I had 3 matches. There was three of us in the bracket so we did a round robin. First match was with the guy on the left of the podium picture. We start out clinching. He executes a lat drop and I'm on my back. Regained guard and was able to push him off of me. We clinch standing again. I shoot in a takedown and land on top of him. But he was able to toss me over using my own momentum. We scramble to put feet again. We clinch again and he lat drops me again. This time in side control. So now he is up 6 points. I get to half guard and use the dog fight position to get behind him. I sink my hooks in for 4 points. Time expires. He wins 6-4.

Next match was with the guy on the right of the picture. He was short, stocky and super strong. He makes one big mistake though. He immediately pulls guard thinking he was going to sweep me. I pushed one of his legs out of the way and he only gets half guard. From there I just smother and give him no room to breathe. It took a bit but I made my way to side mount and locked on a near side arm triangle. He had pushed up enough with his arm to keep me from getting it under his neck. I used this to hop into full mount. Now its 6-0. I let go of the choke and he was able to buck me off. Doing this allowed me to get behind him. He did a shoulder roll to try to reverse me but I scramble again to get behind him. This same scramble happened 3 times in a row. The 3rd time I was able to sink one hook in. Then I was able to roll him to the side I had the hook in to make room for the second hook. From there I locked in a body triangle. He let out a "oooooh shit!" cry of anguish. Time expired. I won 10-0.

So now I had to fight the the from the first no-gi match. I was dead tired. The match started and I was not going to clinch with him this time. He shot in a good double leg and took me down but landed in my guard. I was able to scramble back up when he tried a quick double under pass. We both stand up. I shoot in a hard double leg of my own and this time when he tried to roll me over I counter weighted him down. He was scrambling up pretty effectively and at that point I just didn't have the gas to hold him down. I let him push me away to get in a good deep breathe. The score is now 2-2. He shoots for a single leg and gets it. I try to sprawl but he kept circling to me back. So it was either let him take my back or give him side control. I gave up side control. Now he is up 6-2 and in side control with both of his knees in tight. He kept me there to catch his breathe a bit. He tried a few submissions from here but I knew how to defend all of them. Then comes the part where his coach/cornerman makes an unknowing mistake. He yells out, "near-side kesa ketame!" Unfortunately for my opponent I knew this position very well. And also knew the reversal to it. So as soon as he moved his arm to execute this transition, I turned slightly to my right side to created space, flung my left arm over to grab his upper body, and bridged him over (Its really tough to explain and it might not even have happened how I explained it. The heat of the moment really made things hazy). Now I'm in side mount. I could feel him start to gas just as I'm getting my second wind.
He tried to turtle out from under me but I slide over and take his back and wedge both hooks in. I check the scoreboard and I'm up 8-6. He starts to pry at my arms that are threatening a choke. As he does this I sneak on a body triangle. Now he's doing two things at once. Trying to pry my hand arms off his neck with his left hand and trying to loosen the body triangle with his right. His multi-tasking costs him as I sink in a gable grip rear naked choke it didn’t take long for him to tap out. Round robin bracket complete. Since this was the finals there was no best 2 out of 3 option.

Unfortunately none of my teammates were taking pics of my no-gi matches. So I only have pics of the aftermath.

I collect 2 gold medals in one day.

Thanks for the thorough recap of your experience. Congrats on the great outing! Do you have a goal for a certain number of events moving forward?

Thanks for the thorough recap of your experience. Congrats on the great outing! Do you have a goal for a certain number of events moving forward?

The head coaches at CSC (Combative Sport Center) are really encouraging us to compete again in Kansas City on July 28. I'm still on the fence though.

To be honest with you I'm somewhat competing with a grudge-like chip on my shoulder. I'm still really annoyed that my training and competition time from 2012 to 2016 was pretty much stolen from me. In that 4 year span I was either in Afghanistan, Europe or doing missions out in the field for weeks at time. Only able to train sporadically with Coastal Combatives in eastern Georgia. So now I'm just trying to get in as much as I can before opportunities dry up.

The head coaches at CSC (Combative Sport Center) are really encouraging us to compete again in Kansas City on July 28. I'm still on the fence though.

To be honest with you I'm somewhat competing with a grudge-like chip on my shoulder. I'm still really annoyed that my training and competition time from 2012 to 2016 was pretty much stolen from me. In that 4 year span I was either in Afghanistan, Europe or doing missions out in the field for weeks at time. Only able to train sporadically with Coastal Combatives in eastern Georgia. So now I'm just trying to get in as much as I can before opportunities dry up.
That's a rough travel schedule. Makes sense to compete as often as your mind/body/career allows you to now that you have the ability. Until you retire (assuming you haven't already), there's always the chance you'll ship out again and miss more competition time.

That's a rough travel schedule. Makes sense to compete as often as your mind/body/career allows you to now that you have the ability. Until you retire (assuming you haven't already), there's always the chance you'll ship out again and miss more competition time.

Oh this is my last 9 months in the military. Not gonna get deployed any time soon. Pretty sure I can compete a few more times this year.

Congrats on getting out soon! I can't wait for retirement...in 5 years.

Back