Super Castlevania 4 (1991) vs Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (1997)

HHJ

Unimpressed Jiri
@plutonium
Reaction score
Now normally I just pick SOTN over any game and move on,but SC4 is kind of a link to the old style of Castlevania games whereas SOTN kind of represents its push to the "metroidvania" style.

Both games have GOAT soundtracks

What's your pick and tell us your experiences playin both of these all time classic goat-like fedor-eque games.

SOTN gets my vote though Super Castlevania is a great game.

BTW, Rondo of Blood >>> Any other 16-bit Castlevania.

I know I'll get crucified (get it?) but I felt Super Castlevania IV was better. I know that the sound quality of SOTN was better, but in terms of just the music itself-- the composition, IV was better. I also liked the levels and just overall feel. Alucard and the guitar riffs are cool- they're awesome. But I'm struggling to remember anything in SOTN that compared to the ominous feeling when you finally get to the entrance of the Castle, and that piece "Entrance Hall" starts. As you progress farther you begin to realize that you're like halfway through the game. I didn't feel like it was scary, but the word "ominous" keeps coming back.

I’ve played Castlevania 4 a lot more than I’ve played SotN. It looks great, plays great, sounds great, and I don’t need to invest multiple play throughs to beat it.

Still love both but I’d rather play 4 most days.

Super Castlevania IV, even though i always kinda preferred both Bloodlines and Dracula X

I know I'll get crucified (get it?) but I felt Super Castlevania IV was better. I know that the sound quality of SOTN was better, but in terms of just the music itself-- the composition, IV was better. I also liked the levels and just overall feel. Alucard and the guitar riffs are cool- they're awesome. But I'm struggling to remember anything in SOTN that compared to the ominous feeling when you finally get to the entrance of the Castle, and that piece "Entrance Hall" starts. As you progress farther you begin to realize that you're like halfway through the game. I didn't feel like it was scary, but the word "ominous" keeps coming back.

One has a sub-genre named after it, and is fondly remembered as a GOAT game 25 years after its release.

And the other I forgot about its existence at some point over the last 32 years.

I never played SC4 during the 16-bit era (had a Genesis) but it just felt so slow and outdated by the time I did play it 15 or so years ago.

Played SoTN for the first time when it first came out and CV IV in 2019. My vote goes to CV IV. Not a huge fan of Metroidvanias and I prefer CV IV's soundtrack to SoTN.

One is the GOAT Super NES games of all time. The other is one of the GOATs ever.

Kogi Igarashi made one of the best games ever. That's why Bloodstained was so awesome. He basically copied SOTN.

Reactions: HHJ

There isn’t a crucifix tall enough to hang you. The world ill needs a blasphemer and all others of your ilk.

Reactions: HHJ
There isn’t a crucifix tall enough to hang you. The world ill needs a blasphemer and all others of your ilk.
DIE MONSTER
U DONT BELONG IN THIS FORUM
MANKIND ILL NEEDS A BLASPHEMER SUCH AS YOU

Yup the soundtrack as aged so well.

This track here might be one of the best intro level tracks ever. Love the organs and basslines.

That track is the GOAT.

Mega Man X has something close to it as far as intro level tracks tho

One is the GOAT Super NES games of all time. The other is one of the GOATs ever.

Kogi Igarashi made one of the best games ever. That's why Bloodstained was so awesome. He basically copied SOTN.
I dont like Bloodstained. At least not the fancy pants lookin modern one. I was SO fuckin dissapointed.

Ok so let me get this straight. Take one THE GOAT GAMES,put in some cutesy anime skirt chick instead,and have her move mad slow as she fights some squid octupus things. Count me TF out.

Dead Cells and Blasphemous were more my thing,even if they arent flawless either,they are much more fun and brutal.

Back