Suppressed technology. Fact or fiction?

Of course. People think like children. For example alternative energy... Y'all think oil giants wanna lose their friggin' trillion dollar monopoly
Most oil giants are big into alternative energies. Welcome to Capitalism.

But to answer the question: "Ever"? Definitely.

Didn’t Hoover buy the patents for a bunch of bagless vacuums because they made all their money selling bags? Thought I saw the former CEO admit that in a documentary somewhere.

What I don't get is why doesn't competition prevent planned obsolescence?

Like if hp printers always break after 3 years you would think everyone would buy Epson or Canon.

Unless they all collude together and make their stuff break after the same length of time. Which I guess wouldn't be illegal, because I think only colluding to fix prices is illegal, but fixing quality isn't.

Why doesn't this happen in the Auto industry? Cars today easily go for 200,000 miles and we used to be happy if they made it 100,000

I don't know about cars but planned obsolescence is definitely a real thing for many products.

th

shhh, people are not ready to accept that the products they buy are designed to break so they have to buy more of them.
People not only accept it, but they look forward to it. Buying stuff is #1!

I don't know about cars but planned obsolescence is definitely a real thing for many products.
I remember when I owned a Nissan, and read an interview with the Renault president, who recently bought Nissan at the time,
He said something along the lines of saving money by not making door handles etc, to last more than 10yrs because people will buy new cars by then. Last Nissan I bought for sure

Do you believe that certain tech with the potential to be humanity-advancing, has ever been shelved, kept secret, and/or suppressed by existing power groups in order to maintain certain power structures and control?

This sentiment is common among CT crowds, but even plenty of your regular everyday folk seem keen to the proposition.

Here's a YT video with some proposed examples to help illustrate the idea of the thread:

Personally, I think you'd have to be pretty naive to think it hasn't happened at some level, and likely more than once. But with that said, whether or not an actual water powered car or free energy device was ever truly created and suppressed, I couldn't say. Maybe, maybe not.

Of course technology is held back. For simple reason to sell out what we got now and ensure people are in work.

Technological advancement is moving forward without a doubt. Although high end tech is advancing slowly.

Look at NVIDIA, 11GB GPU cards. Whats in their test labs? I guarantee 32GB at least.

In some cases you cant improve something anymore for example AA batteries. How long they can last in a radio? 2-3 weeks? It was like that for ages now, and it doesnt improve anymore.

So no, it depends.

Of course technology is held back. For simple reason to sell out what we got now and ensure people are in work.

Technological advancement is moving forward without a doubt. Although high end tech is advancing slowly.

Look at NVIDIA, 11GB GPU cards. Whats in their test labs? I guarantee 32GB at least.

In some cases you cant improve something anymore for example AA batteries. How long they can last in a radio? 2-3 weeks? It was like that for ages now, and it doesnt improve anymore.

So no, it depends.

In addition to that we can also add with a high degree of confidence that the military has advanced tech years, sometime decades, before the general public does. Many of the advances we take for granted were first had by NASA or the Pentagon long before you or I saw them.

In addition to that we can also add with a high degree of confidence that the military has advanced tech years, sometime decades, before the general public does. Many of the advances we take for granted were first had by NASA or the Pentagon long before you or I saw them.
Do you have any examples of the military having tech decades before it's available to the public?

What I don't get is why doesn't competition prevent planned obsolescence?

Like if hp printers always break after 3 years you would think everyone would buy Epson or Canon.

Unless they all collude together and make their stuff break after the same length of time. Which I guess wouldn't be illegal, because I think only colluding to fix prices is illegal, but fixing quality isn't.

Why doesn't this happen in the Auto industry? Cars today easily go for 200,000 miles and we used to be happy if they made it 100,000

The auto industry has more players involved compared to most consumer electronics.

The other main thing is that long term total cost of ownership including resale value is an important consideration when people by new vehicles. Due to this and the high overall cost there is also much of ancillary information regarding this such as from places like consumer reports or places that just track resale. Remember a large contribution factor of Japanese vehicle manufacturers rising to the top was due to they're higher reliability.

Whereas what information is there regarding things like printer reliability or other consumer electronics? Making a longer lasting device cannot be leveraged into a marketing point that translates into more revenue upon sale. Nor is it as large of a purchasing consideration due to the small value of the goods.

Absolutely, similar reasons as to why psychedelics are extremely illegal. It's not in their agenda.

Ah fuck they are here..

Wasn’t GPS suppressed to the public but operated by the military back in the 70’s then something happened and it ended up being released to the gen pop?

I don't know, but I wish women were not allowed to drive. Oh, and not taught how to read .

Fiction.

I believe in convergence, if one person creates it someone else will also.

Wasn’t GPS suppressed to the public but operated by the military back in the 70’s then something happened and it ended up being released to the gen pop?

A Korean air flight was shot down after the pilot strayed too far into USSR territory, after that Reagan approved GPS for civilian use

A Korean air flight was shot down after the pilot strayed too far into USSR territory, after that Reagan approved GPS for civilian use
That’s it. Thanks

On the flipside, don't the oil giants have enough clout to invent and patent the next generation of alternative energy?

Oil isn't going to last forever, Big Oil certainly knows that. One would think they have a backup plan to ensure their billions of dollars companies will survive.

The cost of change is massive, why stop printing money with oil currently?

They can just buy out the patents of emerging tech and keep it in their back pocket until the oil runs out then they have a fresh product to market.

Back