Law Supreme Court of Canada declares that the word "woman" is confusing, loses all credibility in the process

EndlessCritic

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score

Is it in yet?

The most recent case out of the Supreme Court of Canada involved the use of "common sense" assumptions by judges, and whether certain common sense assumptions were appropriate.

In R v Kruk, the complainant testified to having been sexually assaulted. The accused (Kruk) denied that he had intercourse with her at all. The complainant was adamant that she felt a penis inside of her. The trial judge accepted the complainant's testimony, and convicted Mr. Kruk on the following basis:

"She said she felt [Mr. Kruk’s] penis inside her and she knew what she was feeling. In short, her tactile sense was engaged. It is extremely unlikely that a woman would be mistaken about that feeling."

Mr. Kruk appealed on the basis that it was not appropriate for the trial judge to make the statement that "It is extremely unlikely that a woman would be mistaken about that feeling", since there was no evidence on the likelihood of whether a woman could or would have been mistaken about that feeling. The British Columbia court of appeal granted the appeal, and ordered a new trial, agreeing that such a common sense assumption was not appropriate without an evidentiary foundation.

The crown appealed. In a unanimous decision, the Supreme Court of Canada granted the appeal, and restored the conviction.

However, the Supreme Court of Canada did not stop there. They admonished the trial judge for using the word "woman", and described this word as "unfortunate" and "engendering confusion". This is an actual quote from the highest court of Canada in its concluding paragraph in the decision:

"[109] Where a person with a vagina testifies credibly and with certainty that they felt penile‑vaginal penetration, a trial judge must be entitled to conclude that they are unlikely to be mistaken. While the choice of the trial judge to use the words “a woman” may have been unfortunate and engendered confusion, in context, it is clear the judge was reasoning that it was extremely unlikely that the complainant would be mistaken about the feeling of penile‑vaginal penetration because people generally, even if intoxicated, are not mistaken about that sensation. In other words, the judge’s conclusion was grounded in his assessment of the complainant’s testimony. The Court of Appeal erred in finding otherwise."

I confess I had always understood the rationale for supporting terms like "person with a vagina" was based on inclusivity. Instead, the Supreme Court of Canada says that the word woman "engendered confusion". Are we being gaslit here? Nobody is confused by what the term "woman" meant in context in the trial judge's decision. It was perfectly understood. The Supreme Court's claim that this word engendered confusion and was unfortunate is pure intellectual dishonesty.

While current north American right wingers seem to bat shit crazy for the most part, they are completely in the right when it comes to gender and I can almost understand why some otherwise sane people would lean right instead of wanting to be associated with these lunatics.

"engendered confusion" eh?

Look I'm all for waking up to the history of systemic racism, but letting a guy off on a rape charge because the judge didn't use the phrase "person with a vagina" in reference to a woman with a vagina isn't woke, it's retarded.

Also, sexual assault victim who was able to flee after the assault was over got into her car and left is apparently proof that sex was consensual? Was she supposed to hang out and fight the rapist while waiting for the mounties?

"engendered confusion" eh?

Look I'm all for waking up to the history of systemic racism, but letting a guy off on a rape charge because the judge didn't use the phrase "person with a vagina" in reference to a woman with a vagina isn't woke, it's retarded.
The SCC restored the conviction. He wasn't let off. The trial judge's decision was restored. The SCC just admonished the trial judge for his use of language.

The SCC restored the conviction. He wasn't let off. The trial judge's decision was restored. The SCC just admonished the trial judge for his use of language.

Ahh ok, so they overrode the appeal.

My point was, it seemed like that was part of the initially successful appeal.

Could be wrong, not an expert in Canadian Bird Law.

I'd say add this to the many reasons why leaving Canada for that job in Cleveland is looking better and better but I am confused.

Confused on the streets. Very very clear about it in the sheets!!

Before completely criticizing the SCC, it is important to note that the SCC also enshrined another very important legal principle in this decision.

In the other case at issue, the trial judge had convicted the accused, finding it was more likely he sexually assaulted the complainant because the accused quickly left her alone after the events. The SCC stated the trial judge erred in this finding, reasoning (correctly) as follows:

"As a matter of logic, the speed at which someone leaves after sexual activity generally has no bearing whatsoever on whether the activity was consensual or non-consensual. One can think of plenty of reasons why a person such as Mr. Tsang would want or need to depart quickly after consensual sex — including reasons completely irrelevant to the sexual activity itself, such as needing to get home after a late night. There are also plenty of reasons why a person who commits sexual assault would insist on staying at the scene for longer once the assault was over — for example, to ensure that the complainant does not say anything to others about what happened. In the context of this case, the fact that Mr. Tsang drove off as soon as the complainant got out of his car and “did not watch her go inside the house” (para. 153) has nothing to do with whether the complainant consented to the sexual activity earlier that night. I accept that the trial judge’s reliance on this generalization was a palpable error."

We knew Canada was to far gone during the Sweet and Sour Sniffles "Pandemic"...

Oh boy!

Can’t wait to get home.

“Babe! Did you know that you’re just a person with a vagina. You’re not even a woman…”
Liberals refer to them as Birthers......first they bring back the term "Colored" and now this nonsense

I still remember that seminal speech by Sojourner Truth "Ain't I a person with a vagina!?"

Back