Supreme Court: Texas cannot be forced to make Confederate license plates

Arkain2K

Si vis pacem, para bellum
@Steel
Reaction score
150615-texas-license-plate-jsw-904a_57ec7ac000bac9ffdabc4c10be02c22c.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.jpg

The design of a proposed Sons of Confederate Veterans license plate.

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that Texas cannot be required to allow the Confederate flag on car license plates.

The case dealt with how much control state governments can exert over slogans and messages on vehicle license plates.

In the 5-4 ruling, the court said "just as Texas cannot require (Sons of Confederate Veterans) to convey 'the state's ideological message...(the Sons of Confederate Veterans) cannot force Texas to include a Confederate battle flag on its specialty license plates."

The case came from Texas, where a state agency refused five years ago to approve a specialty plate requested by a group called the Sons of Confederate Veterans. The design was to include the group's logo

Thomas voted against the plate? That quite surprises me.

we weren't even a big deal in the civil war. We would have never been in it if it was up to our president. Seriously anyone in TX who think's Texas confederate days where a big deal either live in a trailer or sleep with they're sisters

But....but.....but.....the war was over states rights.

Sincerely yours,
Uneducated American

we weren't even a big deal in the civil war. We would have never been in it if it was up to our president. Seriously anyone in TX who think's Texas confederate days where a big deal either live in a trailer or sleep with they're sisters

There were a few battles fought in Texas and control of the ports was important for the south.

Thomas voted against the plate? That quite surprises me.

I'm sure it wasn't because of the flag. He was probably afraid that some group would try to force a state to create an ISIS license plate and that they would be forced to because of the ruling in this case. He's probably all about the flag.

This went to Court? !!!!

Absolutely.

The floodgate would have been blown wide open had the Supreme Court said each State has no control over their own license plates due to Free Speech.

I agree with the decision as the plates belong to the state, so I don't see it as a free speech issue.

I agree with the decision as the plates belong to the state, so I don't see it as a free speech issue.

Exactly, I agree with the decision. It basically says that the state can't stop you from having whatever stance you want. But they aren't obligated to use state funds or property to help you.
If you want a Sons of the Confederacy bumper sticker, go right ahead.
No free speech issue here.

Should of been 9-0 not a 5-4 ruling. Driving is a privilege and custom license plates have always been under the ruling of the states DMV.

Good could you imagine what idiotic things people would think of putting?

Virginia to Stop Offering Confederate License Plates
by Halimah Abdullah
Jun 23 2015​

Virginia will start phasing out license plates with the Confederate flag

Absolutely.

The floodgate would have been blown wide open had the Supreme Court said each State has no control over their own license plates due to Free Speech.

Exactly so. Each state can set is own policy on what goes on its own license plates. Crazy to think otherwise.

Gov. Nathan Deal backtracks on Georgia

Back