Surprisingly sad movies

Alot of family movies, like Pixar's Up (the beginning, wtf) and Toy Story 3.

Coco and Inside Out wrecked me. Two of the most emotionally impacting films I’ve seen in the past decade. Ultimately uplifting like most Pixar fare but there’s some real sad moments en route.

Up is just an amazing movie. The early montage is of course insanely sad but
two other scenes really got me in the feels too.

One where Carl looks through Ellie’s adventure book and sees her final message to him, encouraging him to continue to fill the pages of the book with his own adventures (damn) and then when Carl gives Russell the Ellie badge at the scout ceremony.

those two moments are really impacting because of how good the early scenes where Carl and Ellie meet and the montage sequence play out.

Also, Toy Story itself doesn’t fit the mold but EVERY sequel had right in the feels moments. TS 2 with the existential dread of the toys being aware that their owners typically grow up, lose interest in them and cast them aside (topped off by Woody’s comment to Buzz, when reflecting on Andy, that he knows it won’t last but he’s going to enjoy every moment of it while it does).

TS 3 ending is brutal. terrific. Perfectly done. But brutal.

And TS4 is not as sad but still has its emotional punch thanks to Hanks and Allen.

I saw Dancer In The Dark at the theater without knowing what it was about, and for the first good chunk of it thinking, aw this seems like a nice, sweet movie. Then that shit hit me like a ton of bricks. Great movie

DC5Gcr73gOM1XkIroOiTgx_MLVDSEkmsAl8luvToeNWchbha9NgAD73Y6WI3WUXlLVNOUKPz7uq6VDsfxLqb6SnrqABtCkp4-YQIsebLVzGqbX_eK1zuPHYzMG34znzL5A
That’s Bjork, yes? Should watch.

Coco and Inside Out wrecked me. Two of the most emotionally impacting films I’ve seen in the past decade. Ultimately uplifting like most Pixar fare but there’s some real sad moments en route.

Up is just an amazing movie. The early montage is of course insanely sad but
two other scenes really got me in the feels too.

One where Carl looks through Ellie’s adventure book and sees her final message to him, encouraging him to continue to fill the pages of the book with his own adventures (damn) and then when Carl gives Russell the Ellie badge at the scout ceremony.

those two moments are really impacting because of how good the early scenes where Carl and Ellie meet and the montage sequence play out.
Another family movie that I didn't expect to get so dark/sad was Bridge to Terabithia. Zathura aka Jumanji in Space had it's moments, too.

Yes, it finishes with him having a chance to get over it and move on.. But still sad.

But the whole idea is that he can move on. The optimism far outweighs the sadness.

Now, if he got stranded on the island and just starved to death looking at the picture of his fiancee, that would be sad.

Another family movie that I didn't expect to get so dark/sad was Bridge to Terabithia. Zathura aka Jumanji in Space had it's moments, too.

Added to my previous post a la the toy story films too.
Great points.

ET another family movie that gets really emotionally resonant. If you don’t feel at least some emotion when Elliot, Michael and Gertie say goodbye to ET (with Williams’ epic score blaring in the background), I don’t know what to tell you.

Probably the mist especially at the end of the movie

I saw Dancer In The Dark at the theater without knowing what it was about, and for the first good chunk of it thinking, aw this seems like a nice, sweet movie. Then that shit hit me like a ton of bricks. Great movie

DC5Gcr73gOM1XkIroOiTgx_MLVDSEkmsAl8luvToeNWchbha9NgAD73Y6WI3WUXlLVNOUKPz7uq6VDsfxLqb6SnrqABtCkp4-YQIsebLVzGqbX_eK1zuPHYzMG34znzL5A

Lol, Lars Von Trier? The thread title is "Surprisingly sad movies." Nothing surprising about Dancer in the Dark being sad.

That's like saying Schindler's List or Saving Private Ryan is surprisingly sad.

I mean it is a horror movie about people getting eaten by bugs. You had to realize there was a chance it was not going to have a happy ending.
true but I didn't expect him to kill everyone else then the military right afterwords

That doesn't make the movie surprisingly sad. It just means you didn't know it was sad. There is a difference.

Let's say I know nothing about Showgirls. I watch it and am surprised by all the sexual stuff.

Does that make the movie "surprisingly sexual?" No, it just means I was ignorant about it.

Back