Tactics?

Evil Eye Gouger

Gold Belt
Reaction score
The forum is called "Weapons and tactics", as a subforum of "Standup Discussion".

What tactics should be discussed here? Standup tactics? Weapons tactics? Standup tactics against weapons? Counter-Strike and Quake3 tactics?

Come on, give a little credit to people capable of linear thinking. It's under stand-up because who uses a weapon in the guard or from beneath in a full-mount?

The tactics refers to tactical use of weapons, maning like on a battlefield, with multiple combattants. As discussion gets deeper eventually we're going to get into the roots of how these weapons came to be and what were their true intended purposes. This is going to be brought back to their inception and how they were most successful.

For instance, the Guan Dao. Originated by Guan Yu, interesting because it's an early form of Axe but more of just a staff with a HUGE fucking blade at the end of it. Being that Guan was pretty big for those times, it was used largely to strike down horses and be able to quickly kill the rider. As well as being a two-handed weapon very handy in taking out lesser-armed foot soldiers, who stood nearly no chance in the wake of it's power. Even when surrounded, it's quickness and ability to be wielded circularly made it very very difficult in those times for even more than one soldier to take out a skilled user of the Guan Dao.

I understand why weapons are under standup discussion, I was just wondering whether the "tactics" part applied only to weapon tactics or to general standup. Like "Pride & UFC", putting two things together into one forum.

Nah. It's intended just to imply the discussion of battlefield tactical use of the weaponry is welcome.

We shoudl discuss Japanese martial tactisc and strategies. :cool: :cool: :cool:

King Kabuki said:
It's under stand-up because who uses a weapon in the guard or from beneath in a full-mount?
I have seen stick fighting incorporated into grappling.

KingG said:

Of course, there is grappling in fencing as well.

KingG said:

yes grappling is big in stickfighting, it adds a whole new element. i am a newb at weapons training(except firearms) but i have observed several useful things.

when fighting stick on stick consdier several ranges. there is a multitude of definitions depending on style and school, i'll cover a few that i find useful to classify them as.

out of range
long range where only weapon tips can touch-some call this largo mano
medium range where you can strike your opponents hands but not his head or body-some call this medio
close range where you can strike everything on him-some call this corto
clinch/trapping range
ground graplling

like any fighting system one must understand the human body. the basic strategy of many styles is to ZONE to zero pressure which is what jkd and jun fan call it. silat calls this outside/outside. there are terms for it in several styles. in kickboxing we called it circling out.

this means you are outside the opponents foot and outside the opponents hands. this is why i am BIG on footwork. in boxing this means circling to the outside of the opponent so he needs to adjust his entire body as you land a few power shots on him. with weapons this could mean inflicting a mortal wound or fight ender. not many people could function fully with two hits from a piece of hardwood across the face.

another point i was told was that an overhand strike with a stick has less ko potential than a lateral facial shot. something to consider. broken teeth and facial bones or a shot over the top of the cranium. both would rattle the brain, but the psychological impact and pain from the face shot may give a decisive advantage if there is a choice.

hitting a man with a stick when he is down. you could circle to zero pressure when you are standing and he is down which means you will walk around the top of his head like a clock.

there are also several throws one can use with a stick as it makes a very impressive lever.

You can also se the stick to trap and pin peoples arms and levergae them into standing submissions.

Kabuki - great sub forum!!!!!!!!!

I used to train silat and a little bit of Eskrima. So I'm love this.

There are tons of disarm tactics EEG. I look forward to hearing from some of the Krav guys on here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JonSable
Back