Taekwondo Drills at Bazooka Kickboxing Academy

AndyMaBobs

Sherdog Retiree
@Brown
Reaction score

I've been borrowing a lot of drills from BKA to improve my overall fundamentals and came across this. Considering we've been talking a lot about TMAs lately, figured it worth a share.

For those who aren't in the know, Joe Valtellini is now a kickboxing coach who is managing a youtube channel giving indepth striking instruction, since retiring from fighting a few years ago. He was the Glory Middleweight Champion, and started training Thai Boxing a few years after earning his black belt in Taekwondo.

It's interesting to see him using these drills with his own students and blending it with more square on types of fighting - it's nice to see that he hasn't abandoned his roots even after defeating Raymond Daniels, who stuck to this style more strongly.

So.. The first kick is for when you fight semmy schilt in high heels?

<DirkMavs>

In fairness, Daniels was in his 30s past his prime, 5 years younger than ..vallentini.

Also, Nicky Holtzen did a much better annihiliation job of Daniels two times

Daniels won the first round against Vallentini in a fairly competitive fight.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Muay Thai already got those jumping front kicks.

In fairness, Daniels was in his 30s past his prime, 5 years younger than ..vallentini.

Also, Nicky Holtzen did a much better annihiliation job of Daniels two times

Daniels won the first round against Vallentini in a fairly competitive fight.

Did the one sentence about Daniels in a three paragraph post about TKD drills and joe V. really merit a reply like this??

Bazooka joe was at the last CSA coaches clinic and knocked it out of the park. The dude is a great coach and has solid drills

Bazooka joe was at the last CSA coaches clinic and knocked it out of the park. The dude is a great coach and has solid drills

So........knocking it out of the park.......that's what the kick is for.........

I've been borrowing a lot of drills from BKA to improve my overall fundamentals and came across this. Considering we've been talking a lot about TMAs lately, figured it worth a share.

For those who aren't in the know, Joe Valtellini is now a kickboxing coach who is managing a youtube channel giving indepth striking instruction, since retiring from fighting a few years ago. He was the Glory Middleweight Champion, and started training Thai Boxing a few years after earning his black belt in Taekwondo.

It's interesting to see him using these drills with his own students and blending it with more square on types of fighting - it's nice to see that he hasn't abandoned his roots even after defeating Raymond Daniels, who stuck to this style more strongly.

those side kicks to Joes knee Daniels was throwing were nasty, should be illegal IMO. Although he was aiming for the thigh, it would just be a matter of time to miss and land on the knee instead, snapping it backwards.

those side kicks to Joes knee Daniels was throwing were nasty, should be illegal IMO. Although he was aiming for the thigh, it would just be a matter of time to miss and land on the knee instead, snapping it backwards.

IMO they should be completely legal - everyone says how they can end careers and shit like that, but it's never actually happened.

Oh awesome, I'm going through his series now to build up my fundamentals some more, because I'm slacking. He seems to really properly understand coaching, unlike a lot of former fighters

IMO they should be completely legal - everyone says how they can end careers and shit like that, but it's never actually happened.

Oh awesome, I'm going through his series now to build up my fundamentals some more, because I'm slacking. He seems to really properly understand coaching, unlike a lot of former fighters

i personally know a guy that tore his acl that way.

Its the same mechanics as doing an armbar on someone basically. But a armbar that comes from a hit rather than a pull, so theres no stopping before the breaking point. It just needs to land "clean" and your done.

i personally know a guy that tore his acl that way.

Its the same mechanics as doing an armbar on someone basically. But a armbar that comes from a hit rather than a pull, so theres no stopping before the breaking point. It just needs to land "clean" and your done.

It's not very common at all, I'm willing to bet more careers are ending by concussion than low side kicks, I understand that not everyone likes them, but this is fighting, it's better to learn to defend the technique (which isn't all that hard to do) than to ban them.

It's not very common at all, I'm willing to bet more careers are ending by concussion than low side kicks, I understand that not everyone likes them, but this is fighting, it's better to learn to defend the technique (which isn't all that hard to do) than to ban them.

i agree that its not common and more careers are ended by concussions in a sport where you are commonly hit in the head. But I really dont see a way to defend a joint from being bent the wrong way. Its the timing of the kick, if someone catches you, when your knee is extended, your coming forward, with the weight on that front leg, its over. I dont agree with the fighting thing either, its a self defense move, not a sport move. Im not trying to argue with you dude just voicing my opinion. I really dont like that move because i have seen it happen, its rare, but when it does happen man is it nasty. I have done it myself on my back in a "street fight" as well when I was younger. It didnt break his knee (didnt land clean) but it stopped him from trying to kick me while I was down and he was limping. I kicked him in his supporting leg knee as hard as I could while he was kicking me while i was down. That and seeing my friends ACL get torn by it just in sparring. And that amount of force Daniels was putting into it, if it landed clean at the right time, would have snapped his knee and half and ended the other dudes career. To me its comparable to Jon Jones eye poking technique, its fighting, but shouldn't be used in sport. Its just a dirty ass move. I would like to see headbutts allowed before that move allowed.

i agree that its not common and more careers are ended by concussions in a sport where you are commonly hit in the head. But I really dont see a way to defend a joint from being bent the wrong way. Its the timing of the kick, if someone catches you, when your knee is extended, your coming forward, with the weight on that front leg, its over. I dont agree with the fighting thing either, its a self defense move, not a sport move. Im not trying to argue with you dude just voicing my opinion. I really dont like that move because i have seen it happen, its rare, but when it does happen man is it nasty. I have done it myself on my back in a "street fight" as well when I was younger. It didnt break his knee (didnt land clean) but it stopped him from trying to kick me while I was down and he was limping. I kicked him in his supporting leg knee as hard as I could while he was kicking me while i was down. That and seeing my friends ACL get torn by it just in sparring. And that amount of force Daniels was putting into it, if it landed clean at the right time, would have snapped his knee and half and ended the other dudes career. To me its comparable to Jon Jones eye poking technique, its fighting, but shouldn't be used in sport. Its just a dirty ass move. I would like to see headbutts allowed before that move allowed.

The intent of that strike is to land on the thigh, not the knee like everyone seems to think. I don't see why it gets so much attention in kickboxing and MMA when fighters in Thailand do it all the time. I once saw Joe Schilling arguing for the kick to be banned, failing to realise that he uses that exact kick in every fight he has. It's fairly simple to avoid to, just use lateral movement instead of charging in on straight lines, like a good fighter should do. Or even just pick up and check it.

I can understand you being put off it because you saw your friend get injured, I get that, but compared to a stray punch that can catch you funny and give you a serious concussion or even blind you if they detach a retena, or head kicks that can do far worse, I just don't see a compelling argument for it to be banned, especially when no careers at the highest level where these kicks are most used have ever been ended by one, not even Rampage 'no knees' Jackson.

I don't think the eye poke comparison is a fair one at all, I occasionally lament headbutts not being legal - especially since I've started using Lethwei, but even then I think it's more devastating than an oblique kick.

If you've had bad experiences with the move I can get you not liking it and thinking that it should be banned, more power to you, I can't take away your experience - I just can't agree with you on it.

The intent of that strike is to land on the thigh, not the knee like everyone seems to think. I don't see why it gets so much attention in kickboxing and MMA when fighters in Thailand do it all the time. I once saw Joe Schilling arguing for the kick to be banned, failing to realise that he uses that exact kick in every fight he has. It's fairly simple to avoid to, just use lateral movement instead of charging in on straight lines, like a good fighter should do. Or even just pick up and check it.

I can understand you being put off it because you saw your friend get injured, I get that, but compared to a stray punch that can catch you funny and give you a serious concussion or even blind you if they detach a retena, or head kicks that can do far worse, I just don't see a compelling argument for it to be banned, especially when no careers at the highest level where these kicks are most used have ever been ended by one, not even Rampage 'no knees' Jackson.

I don't think the eye poke comparison is a fair one at all, I occasionally lament headbutts not being legal - especially since I've started using Lethwei, but even then I think it's more devastating than an oblique kick.

If you've had bad experiences with the move I can get you not liking it and thinking that it should be banned, more power to you, I can't take away your experience - I just can't agree with you on it.

agree to disagree ;), i can see your points as well. I think we both agree that its not a common used move, or injury.

Back